Sid on Wally Ellenson: "He might still get a redshirt season"

Grenville Waiters played 11 years at Ohio State. I read it on the internets.

@ameliarayno: Smith said FR Wally Ellenson is back practicing and will be available to the #Gophers tomorrow.

Go Gophers!!

He's not eligible under the rule.

Sorry, the NCAA rules are a joke, covered in shades of gray. Not that you could ever see that, with your stubborn/ignorant black and white blinders.

find me an example or two of such an exception.

No. I've got work to do. You, on the other hand, spend your day on the internet. You find several examples of freshman with multiple injuries playing only six games and 35 minutes during the entire season who have been rejected of such wavers.

Sorry, the NCAA rules are a joke, covered in shades of gray. Not that you could ever see that, with your stubborn/ignorant black and white blinders.

No. I've got work to do. You, on the other hand, spend your day on the internet. You find several examples of freshman with multiple injuries playing only six games and 35 minutes during the entire season who have been rejected of such wavers.

The issue here is not the # of games played. The issue is WHEN he played in those games. You cannot play one minute in a game this late in the season and still get a redshirt. If so, it opens up a loophole that would be abused by coaches everywhere.

If Charles Buggs were to play tomorrow night and suffer a season ending injury, he would not get a redshirt for this season.

The issue here is not the # of games played. The issue is WHEN he played in those games.

Exactly why the rule is garbage and leaves room for interpretation. If a player was injured-had not played all season and played one game in the second half of the season but got re-injured it would require consideration. Similar to if Wally was physically unable to play the remainder of the season due to injury.

The Buggs scenario is non-factual.

Exactly why the rule is garbage and leaves room for interpretation. If a player was injured-had not played all season and played one game in the second half of the season but got re-injured it would require consideration. Similar to if Wally was physically unable to play the remainder of the season due to injury.

Actually, the Buggs scenario is a fact.

You cannot play one minute in a game this late in the season and still get a redshirt

Utterly and completely unfactual.

↕ ↕ ↕ OK GW ↕ ↕ ↕

It consistently amazes me how... ugh. I'll bite my tongue and just give you a better translation:

The fact that Stoudermire was granted a hardship waiver and will be able to play during his fifth year of college has absolutely no relevance to Trevor Mbakwe's situation. The U may seek what is effectively a waiver of the Five-Year Rule waiver in Mbakwe's case. The Five-Year Rule is from a different section of the NCAA Bylaws than the hardship waiver rules and includes requirements which Mbakwe does not meet.

If this were the case, coaches would abuse the loophole by pulling redshirts late in the season and then claiming phantom season ending injuries to preserve eligibility.

Well, after last night's game, I think we can finally put this one to rest.

Believe it or not, Brian Cardinal did not play 6 years at Purdue. He was redshirted as Frosh and then played 4 years - just like a normal redshirted player would. He was never injured.

Settles and Eschmeyer were granted 6th years just like Mbakwe.
This is true, but after Brian Cardinal graduated, a mysterious walk-on played 3 seasons for the Boilers. I believe his name was "Rian Oriole".

is he a poor mans Isaiah Dahlman? '
if so, keep him moving thru the system.... NO redshirt.

Top Bottom