Sid: Maturi working on a Brewster extension

Reaction score
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/79184462.html?page=3&c=y

Brewster extension?

Gophers athletic director Joel Maturi made it clear on Sunday that he is considering some type of extension for Gophers football coach Tim Brewster, who has two more years left on his contract.

Maturi didn't know when the extension would be presented, but he said he was working on it.

Maturi also made it clear that Brewster is his football coach and he doesn't plan any changes.

"We've had several defensive and offensive coordinators in the past, so I believe that Brewster deserves to see if his recruits and coaching staff can do the job," Maturi said.

Even if Brewster gets no guaranteed future salary out of the extension, it will at least help him with recruiting to tell the kids that he is going to be there for the next x years.

Maturi declares victory after heated negotiations!
chamberlain3.jpg

I hope there is a smart way to do this that:
a) provides recruits with enough comfort so that they're willing to commit;
but;
b) doesn't lock Maturi/the U into keeping Brewster at the end of 2010 regardless of the outcome of the season.

I'm all for giving Brewster a full 4 or 5 years, but his performance thus far, in my opinion, doesn't warrant any guarantee of employment beyond year 5.

Whatever happens it is important that Maturi finds a way to insure that Cosgrove stays as the Defensive Coordinator. That should probably be part of the new contract with Brewster.

Whatever happens it is important that Maturi finds a way to insure that Cosgrove stays as the Defensive Coordinator. That should probably be part of the new contract with Brewster.

Why not Lee, apparently the forgotten, CO-defensive coordinator.

If we were big time we would not be afraid of a buyout. We'd be more interested in the stability and growth of the program. Nothing is free, including recruits.

Please Minny, give Timmy a life time contract.

Just think of how many Rose Bowls he will promise.

Brewster is a clown. He should have been fired the day he got dominated by NDSU.

Top Bottom