Sid just babbling again?

harrys ghost

Reaction score
From Sunday's column: "One recruit who didn't receive much recognition before signing with the Gophers was Irondale offensive tackle Jimmy Gjere, who was recruited hard by Ohio State, Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota." :confused:

I really hope Sid has it right, but I know the chances of that are somewhere between slim and none.

Well Rivals or Scout has Nothing about him committed to us. Maybe Sid has a better Source.

I too hope he's right and this wouldn't be an oversight type mistake, but does anyone write more stuff that is flat out wrong? Two incorrect facts in just the first paragraph of his column.

this could be good

sid reported alipate had committed before he did

he also said it for one of the lineman.......but i cant remember who

if this is false.......gjeres family is going to chew his azz out

can someone call into his morning show today and ask about it(i will be at church).....this would be awesome

I promise that phone line is going to be flooded this morning. I really hope Gjere commits here, but I doubt he's already done it.

Nothing on Scout/GI/GH but senile Sid got it? Highly doubtful but it would be wonderful news. One give away to me is he said he "signed". How do you do that before signing date next February?

This is just a flat out miss on Sid's part. First of all, Gjere cannot SIGN with anyone yet. Sid says he SIGNED. That's impossible. He cannot sign with someone until next Feb. Second of all, Gjere hasn't verbally committed anywhere.

It's true that juniors cannot sign until the next signing day, February 2010. As to what Sid meant, who knows? However, giving him the benefit of doubt, he and others often confuse verbal/commit with signing. Did he commit? I don't know, but I guess we'll find out soon enough. In any case, according to Iowa Rivals (Hawkeye Report), Gjere and his father were scheduled to visit Iowa City and the University of Iowa campus this weekend. I don't know if any visit took place. Rumors certainly make stories interesting.

Go Gophers!!

Don't get too worked up about Sid.

A) He hasn't actually "written" his column in 20 years. It is done by interns. They collect facts on what Sid wants to "write" about and they write, Sid proofreads.

B) Sid is a terrible proofreader. Last year, he let the story of how most of the 2008 recruits had not qualified for school get by him. He spent half of the GLC golf tournament trying to track down Brew and apologize.

C) Sid steals information. How many times have you read items in his column that you have directly heard from TV or radio interviews. How many times are his "scoops" days behind even this board. Which leads to...

D) Sid misinterprets what he hears and steals. His own editors don't edit him, so who's going to? Don't EVER use Sid as a direct source of information.

Likely, he is morphing Garin and Hageman. He doesn't actually remember any recruits' names when he talks about them. Garin starts with a "G" and Hageman was recruited by OSU, Iowa, and Wisconsin. And is sort of a lineman...

does Gjere really play hockey?? I guess if we wanted to find out if he was confusing him for someone else someone could validate the hockey line. I mean if you want to report how Brew was at the kids hockey practice (and lets say it was true), how the hell do you follow it up with something that would be completely false?? The guy had to have been throw some kind of bone?? Can a 6'6" 275 guy really play hockey? that would be impressive in itself.

Between him and the alcoholic we have a pretty lame excuse for a Gopher coverage team.

Sid?

I heard Sid say he got the Gjere story wrong but had to leave my radio - did anyone call in to get him to clarify?:confused:

does Gjere really play hockey?? I guess if we wanted to find out if he was confusing him for someone else someone could validate the hockey line. I mean if you want to report how Brew was at the kids hockey practice (and lets say it was true), how the hell do you follow it up with something that would be completely false?? The guy had to have been throw some kind of bone?? Can a 6'6" 275 guy really play hockey? that would be impressive in itself.

He actually does play hockey at Irondale. I read somewhere that he had three goals, at that time (I have to believe he plays defense).

here's the link to the story about him playing varsity hockey for Irondale. I'm not sure that they're anything great, but it's still pretty impressive that a guy that big can move that well on skates.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/p...UeyD8_o8cyaiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

Visualize this... You're a 5'8", 150# hockey player, going up against Irondale. There's a puck in the corner, and the only other player in the zip code is Gjere, who is almost 7'0" and 300# on skates and in pads. Do YOU want to go into the corner to get the puck???

Top Bottom