Sid: It seems like the University of Minnesota is preparing to have fans in the stands for the 2020 football season

If students are living in the dorms, attending classes and attending the games the contact points for the virus are already through the roof. Just pack the building and make people sign waivers & wear masks ( I.E. The NASCAR Model) .. That being said, I’m guessing no marching bands.
The nascar stadium was anything but packed.

Below capacity, distanced pods of seats makes sense. Mandatory mask wearing makes sense.

Not long ago people were worried there may be no football at all. Now some are demanding full stadiums?? Take a hike.

The nascar stadium was anything but packed.

Below capacity, distanced pods of seats makes sense. Mandatory mask wearing makes sense.

Not long ago people were worried there may be no football at all. Now some are demanding full stadiums?? Take a hike.
I’m referencing the July 15th race. They are selling 30,000 seats and fans will sign a waiver.

I’m referencing the July 15th race. They are selling 30,000 seats and fans will sign a waiver.
It holds 160,000. It was moved from NC due to the spike in Covid cases there. The equivalent at the Bank would be about 9,000.
I can also provide stats. Hospitalization are down 12.7% from last week and way down from 6 weeks ago (TN Dept. Health). There were also 13,865 tests reported. The 14 day SMA for the state is 8,460. A higher # people are getting tested now. If you go to hospital now they are testing you for covid which is partly reason for the increase testing numbers. This will also drive an increase of positives as we know a lot of cases are asymptomatic. For personal reference, I know 1 person who has caught it, tested positive and recovered. I feel like many family members up north I speak with haven’t don’t/personally know a person who has tested positive.

Edit: to link this back to gopher football.. the county which Tennessee Tech is located in has 145 active cases, 9 of which are new today.
Huh...

It holds 160,000. It was moved from NC due to the spike in Covid cases there. The equivalent at the Bank would be about 9,000.

Huh...

The article you cite on TN states the system isn’t stressed. Isn’t that the key?

Also, Charlotte motor speedway holds 90-160k depending on the race set up. It could essentially be a person in every third seat. I’m good with that. That will should season ticket holders in the building.

The article you cite on TN states the system isn’t stressed. Isn’t that the key?

Also, Charlotte motor speedway holds 90-160k depending on the race set up. It could essentially be a person in every third seat. I’m good with that. That will should season ticket holders in the building.

30,500 cases overall in Minnesota, 1,300 deaths. Do the math: .04% overall death rate.

4,870 cases of people age 40-49, 14 deaths. Simple math again says that is a death rate of .003%.

So if you’re in your 40’s and contract the virus, you have a 99.997% chance of survival. Unless we are playing home games inside a nursing home there shouldn’t be an issue. This has turned out to be a big fat nothingburger.

If you’re scared of contracting a virus that only gives you a fighting chance of 99.997% to survive, then stay home. Life goes on though for the rest of the sane population.

Regardless of the errors in your quick analysis, the point you make is valid. One unknown is the true rate of infection. And lacking these data, we are unable to calculate the infection mortality rate. But the reality of the roles of age and/or comorbitities is undeniable. Our policy leaders should have made dramatic changes in strategies/tactics several months back. The marginal changes we've seen (e.g., moving the dial from 1 to 4) are inexplicable. So sad this situation had to become so political.

The data provided by the Minnesota Department of Public Health make clear that a "managed" approach should allow for fans-in-the-stands (see chart below). I'm in my mid-60s (thankfully in good health) and can't wait for the season to start. And I'm planning on attending as many games as possible. Go-Gophers!!!

Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 8.10.29 PM.png

Attachments

• MN Data PDF May 16.pdf
    46.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

The younger, healthier can go to the game approach works only if those fans stay isolated. The risk is that transmission occurs at the game and the virus moves from one community to another which will include at risk populations. We value personal liberty, but we do live in communities. You may be okay accepting the risk, but your choice does not impact you alone.

How many deaths and significant, potentially life changing, illnesses are reasonable to accept for watching football?
I know it's probably not what's going to actually happen but they could allow only the students into the stadium. It's obviously not perfect but that's about as much of an isolated community as your gonna get.

I know it's probably not what's going to actually happen but they could allow only the students into the stadium. It's obviously not perfect but that's about as much of an isolated community as your gonna get.
What's isolated about life as a student?

You're right. It is scary. And expensive. People say "just test everybody". Well none of this is free, and 5 minutes after a test someone can get it. We don't know everything about this thing, and it can get even worse.

On a lighter note, I'd sacrifice myself for the good of the team!!!!!!!!!!!! But I would need to see the National Title before I croaked. I would die a happy man.
I'd be fine croaking if I knew my efforts weren't in vain. Altruism at its finest.

What's isolated about life as a student?
I didn't say it's great by any means but students who stay on campus are more of an isolated community than the thousands of fans who come from all around the state/country to watch games.

Positive case tests mean very little as an isolated statistic as testing increases and average age of tested decrease.
The rate of positive tests is increasing in these states too, not just the raw number of cases.

But what impact does the average age of the people being tested have on the rate of positive cases?

Fun with bad math.
-as of today 6/15
-1,298 dead from covid in MN.
-1,030 were in LTC
-268 died with out the needing long term care facility and would have gone to the game or had the ability to go.
-30,471 have tested positive
-26,090 no longer needed isolation and have recovered.

What does it all mean? Go about your daily lives. You have a better chance of dying in a car crash going to the game.

Talk about bad math...

You cannot compare events with vastly different statistical distributions. The number of deaths due to car crashes (or lightning strikes, the other favorite of idiots) is thin-tailed. The number of deaths due to pandemics throughout history is fat tailed. Impossible to compare.

To put it another way, which is more likely, 50 people die in Minneapolis in one day due to car crashes, or 50 people die in in one day to COVID-19?

I didn't say it's great by any means but students who stay on campus are more of an isolated community than the thousands of fans who come from all around the state/country to watch games.
I feel like students with multiple classes and dorms being dorms...are really just one big family of exposure.

Top Bottom