Sid Hartman: U President supports more aid for athletes

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Meanwhile, as the Gophers continue to try to raise the $190 million for their athletics facilities, Kaler was asked about the ultimate end game with regards to fundraising for these types of endeavors. Where does it end?

“That’s a great question, and I don’t know the answer,” he said. “It is an arms race right now for sure. If you’re in that situation you can do one of two things, and that’s give up or move forward. I’m not a big fan of giving up, so we’re in the process of bringing our facilities up to the level of our competition. That will benefit the student-athlete and help recruiting. We are raising that money privately, so it’s not a burden for the state of Minnesota or our students. But I don’t know when it’s going to end.”

Jottings

• Don’t be surprised if 3M Co. is next to consider making a strong contribution to the Gophers athletic department’s $190 million goal of adding athletic facilities that will match the rest of the Big Ten. And a strong effort is being made to get T. Denny Sanford, who paid to build the hall of fame in TCF Bank Stadium, involved in the fund- raising. But if he does contribute anything, it will be toward football because of his admiration of Kill.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/274038661.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

Meanwhile, as the Gophers continue to try to raise the $190 million for their athletics facilities, Kaler was asked about the ultimate end game with regards to fundraising for these types of endeavors. Where does it end?

“That’s a great question, and I don’t know the answer,” he said. “It is an arms race right now for sure. If you’re in that situation you can do one of two things, and that’s give up or move forward. I’m not a big fan of giving up, so we’re in the process of bringing our facilities up to the level of our competition. That will benefit the student-athlete and help recruiting. We are raising that money privately, so it’s not a burden for the state of Minnesota or our students. But I don’t know when it’s going to end.”

Jottings

Don’t be surprised if 3M Co. is next to consider making a strong contribution to the Gophers athletic department’s $190 million goal of adding athletic facilities that will match the rest of the Big Ten. And a strong effort is being made to get T. Denny Sanford, who paid to build the hall of fame in TCF Bank Stadium, involved in the fund- raising. But if he does contribute anything, it will be toward football because of his admiration of Kill.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/274038661.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

3M must have read my post from yesterday.:cheer:

That would be great. It's nice to see local companies show support. If we can get 2 or so more to make hefty donations, that would be huge.

Top Bottom