Sid Hartman: Smith sees promise after mediocre year

Tubby says that Oto is one of the best 3 point shooters he has ever coached! Very nice to hear! We sure could've used another outside threat this season.

Tubby says that Oto is one of the best 3 point shooters he has ever coached! Very nice to hear! We sure could've used another outside threat this season.
Sid said he was one of the BETTER 3 pt shooter he's had. Thats along way from one of the best.

Sid also says:

Smith has two scholarships available for next season and hopes to sign two players who can play right away

Does this mean it's known that someone is also leaving the program early, or Sid just screwing up the facts?

I'm thinking the team considers themselves having two scholarships available, maybe not officially right now, but they will eventually.

I just hope Oto's shooting ability translates when the lights come on. He seems to have a natural stroke, but you know how it can be when it gets real out there, instead of just in practice.

Sid also says:

Smith has two scholarships available for next season and hopes to sign two players who can play right away

Does this mean it's known that someone is also leaving the program early, or Sid just screwing up the facts?

Sid just screwing up the facts... but I hope we bring in at least another two (in addition to Joe and Andre).

Also had a chuckle at this one... "And Walker, a 6-10 Ontario native, proved he could play until he injured a knee against South Dakota State on Dec. 23. He likely will receive an extra year of eligibility as a medical redshirt."

Medical Hardship Waiver

Sid just screwing up the facts... but I hope we bring in at least another two (in addition to Joe and Andre).

Also had a chuckle at this one... "And Walker, a 6-10 Ontario native, proved he could play until he injured a knee against South Dakota State on Dec. 23. He likely will receive an extra year of eligibility as a medical redshirt."

Not applicable to Walker (IMO).

Sid also says:

I would guess that he is counting Mbwake as being gone, that way he has Joseph's and Mbwake's scholerships available. If this is the case then a Juco PG and a power forward are needed which seems to be what they are recruiting.

Is Sid on the NIT selection committee?

The Gophers will get a chance to play at least one more game this season, because they have been notified they will be selected to play in the NIT. It's possible Nolen might be ready to play by then.

Mediocre Year(s) Followed By ?

1992 and 93 were mediocre (32-27).
1994 and 95 were not (47-16 and back-2-back Sweet 16).

1996 was 21-10 followed by 24-9 (school record W total) in 1997.

2000-01-02 (69-30) were mediocre by UK standards.
2003-04-05 (87-15) yielded the #1 W-L (%) in Div I.

Hard to say what 2012 will bring the Gophers.

Sid also says:

Gotta think they know someone is leaving or we are missing something in the scholarship debates. We already know Trevor and RS III are considering pros and Williams is continually being touted as athletic enough for the pros. Who knows!

I would guess that he is counting Mbwake as being gone, that way he has Joseph's and Mbwake's scholerships available. If this is the case then a Juco PG and a power forward are needed which seems to be what they are recruiting.

I also think mav or chip will be gone next year. No info, just a gut feeling.

My only feelings on this is that if this was mediocre, I don't want to see bad.

Gotta think they know someone is leaving or we are missing something in the scholarship debates. We already know Trevor and RS III are considering pros and Williams is continually being touted as athletic enough for the pros. Who knows!

9th in the Big Ten and we're talking about 3 guys going pro? We are a delusional bunch.

Top Bottom