Sid: Gophers season tickets 20,142 at present, down from 23,431 last year

Was I blind last year? Saw pretty much a sold out stadium and excellent student numbers except for the Illinois game. Thought I saw the best attendance since 1987 published. Why all the negativity?
13% decrease
Last year faced a premier non-conference opponent in TCU
Nebraska brought fans
Wisconsin brought fans
Michigan is a big draw

Between the cost increases, a sub-.500 regular season, a poor slate of opponents, and the general bad PR for the athletic dept it's concerning.

As a true Gopher football fan I renewed our tickets for the 10th consecutive year regardless of who is on the schedule or poor PR in the AD area. With a senior quarterback, fresh new leader in Coyle, new assistants in Miller and Johnson and a favorable schedule- why would this be a good year to jump ship? We can absorb the extra $300 for our two tickets.

It really doesn't cost much now, anyone who wants to go can pay. It's not the $, it is students just not be interested in going...

Well it's also the fact students aren't stupid. The U charges 99 for the season (which I'm sure would make alumni ecstatic to pay anywhere remotely close to that, but I digress) but ends up giving away a ton of tix or you can buy single game tix for approximately $10 either through the U leading up to the game or through a season ticket holder looking to unload the games. The U removes the incentive to buy season tix unless you truly want to go to every single game and want to guarantee that. On top of that, the U has stated it's going to have another ticket drive to get more interest in student tix so this may explode as I'm guessing many students are holding out for the deal. The one they ran already was nice (you get one add'l free ticket to select games which they didn't announce and haven't to my knowledge) but the word is they're going to run something else. So we shall see, the student number may balloon because the U has kind of hung themselves out to dry by running special deals and students, being true Minnesotans, are holding out for the best deal they can get.

Just my take

Was I blind last year? Saw pretty much a sold out stadium and excellent student numbers except for the Illinois game. Thought I saw the best attendance since 1987 published. Why all the negativity?

I was at every game so would have to say your eyesight is somewhere between that of a rhino and a bat. Regarding the negativity, I'm just going to have to assume you moved here in the last 12-months or have been locked in a closet for the past 50-years and just recently got out.

Well it's also the fact students aren't stupid. The U charges 99 for the season (which I'm sure would make alumni ecstatic to pay anywhere remotely close to that, but I digress) but ends up giving away a ton of tix or you can buy single game tix for approximately $10 either through the U leading up to the game or through a season ticket holder looking to unload the games. The U removes the incentive to buy season tix unless you truly want to go to every single game and want to guarantee that. On top of that, the U has stated it's going to have another ticket drive to get more interest in student tix so this may explode as I'm guessing many students are holding out for the deal. The one they ran already was nice (you get one add'l free ticket to select games which they didn't announce and haven't to my knowledge) but the word is they're going to run something else. So we shall see, the student number may balloon because the U has kind of hung themselves out to dry by running special deals and students, being true Minnesotans, are holding out for the best deal they can get.

Just my take

Tru dat.

Really though it goes to show that at least on the lower end, pricing isn't so much an issue as interest is. Get Ws and folks will pay.

It could hurt if you ever want to ask folks to pay for the free thing they got for free just last year....

As it is, they go from paying $99 to many times that in one year. Recent grad pricing is another thing they should do.

Recent grad pricing is another thing they should do.
Agreed, would love to see recent grads get 2-4 years to purchase discounted tickets, maybe something like a GA upper deck student ticket at $150ish?

Agreed, would love to see recent grads get 2-4 years to purchase discounted tickets, maybe something like a GA upper deck student ticket at $150ish?

I don't think they can sell the student seats to non students aside from the bring a family member or day of game kinda tickets.

But if they could, I wonder how big the market for that would be.

I suspect that is a pretty narrow band of people. Folks who graduated, still in the twin cities, want to buy season tickets. I mean a lot of students don't go when they are students.... not sure they're clamoring to go after the fact, if they happen to be around.

As a true Gopher football fan I renewed our tickets for the 10th consecutive year regardless of who is on the schedule or poor PR in the AD area. With a senior quarterback, fresh new leader in Coyle, new assistants in Miller and Johnson and a favorable schedule- why would this be a good year to jump ship? We can absorb the extra $300 for our two tickets.

Since I know you'll get destroyed by all of the "fans" here who revel in the misery of themselves and others, I just want to take a moment to give you a big kudos for this post. Thank you.

I don't think they can sell the student seats to non students aside from the bring a family member or day of game kinda tickets.

I suspect that is a pretty narrow band of people. Folks who graduated, still in the twin cities, want to buy season tickets. I mean a lot of students don't go when they are students.... not sure they're clamoring to go after the fact, if they happen to be around.

Agree on all points.

Pretty sure they can do whatever they want to sell any ticket in the stadium...this whole thread speaks to that. Big difference with recent grads is hopefully they are gainfully employed and can afford to pay something...but not the regular season ticket prices. I definitely would have done it and would have wanted to be in the student section.

Well we know the tag line " Tracysota" won't be used to hype student sales with a T-shirt. Got to give Becky credit with their student sales. We've friends in Sun Prairie and thinking of a possible trip down to Madison. Talked to him last week about the trip and he mentioned the student sales sold out in 8 hours. We could only wish........

Pretty sure they can do whatever they want to sell any ticket in the stadium...this whole thread speaks to that. Big difference with recent grads is hopefully they are gainfully employed and can afford to pay something...but not the regular season ticket prices. I definitely would have done it and would have wanted to be in the student section.

10,000 seats were designated for students by the legislature.

They later loosened the rules to allow sales to the public if the student section doesn't sell out, but they have to wait for that to occur within the week of a game last I checked. That would seem to preclude any season ticket type sales to non students there.

Well we know the tag line " Tracysota" won't be used to hype student sales with a T-shirt. Got to give Becky credit with their student sales. We've friends in Sun Prairie and thinking of a possible trip down to Madison. Talked to him last week about the trip and he mentioned the student sales sold out in 8 hours. We could only wish........

Aren't bricks made of clay?

10,000 seats were designated for students by the legislature.

They later loosened the rules to allow sales to the public if the student section doesn't sell out, but they have to wait for that to occur within the week of a game last I checked. That would seem to preclude any season ticket type sales to non students there.

Board of Regents has control. They blessed the current change.

Aren't bricks made of clay?
You may have hit on something here. A little tweaking, and I see a t-shirt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Board of Regents has control. They blessed the current change.

They can bless it, heck I can bless it, but I'm not sure they could dismantle the rules entirely to allow for non student season tickets. The legislature originally set the student seating numbers.

They can bless it, heck I can bless it, but I'm not sure they could dismantle the rules entirely to allow for non student season tickets. The legislature originally set the student seating numbers.

Legislature did require the set aside but they've always had the ability to sell if unsold to students. The athletic Dept went to Regents ask for the change made a few years ago to be able to sell those unsold tickets sooner.

Since the price increase was announced on 12/14,

All well and good - but tell me what the $$$ amount that was brought in before I care (maybe it was less - I am only a supporter of the increase if it generated $1 more than the previous year). Sports are about money...the live audience is becoming increasingly less important.

I hope Coyle tries to preserve a fuller stadium, atmosphere, and home field advantage over making one dollar or even a million of them. Pricing at what the market will bear has some negatives. Grow the die hard fanbase first.

I hope Coyle tries to preserve a fuller stadium, atmosphere, and home field advantage over making one dollar or even a million of them. Pricing at what the market will bear has some negatives. Grow the die hard fanbase first.

Easy for you to say when your career isn't dependent on the revenue brought in by the athletic department.

Pricing the tickets at any point other than what he feels to be the profit maximization point is a fireable offense.

Top Bottom