SI: The Gophers appear to be building something special for next season

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chad:

If you're frustrated with the Gophers on the court this season, there appears to be big-time potential in the very near future. Coming off a 13-17 record last season, the Gophers men's basketball team is 7-9 this season and has fallen into last place in the Big Ten.

Contending in the Big Ten and being considered for the NCAA tournament isn't likely this season, but consider each game as a block in the foundation of what head coach Ben Johnson is building. The future is bright and it starts with the talent that's already on the roster.

Yes, the Gophers' 1-5 start in Big Ten play is disappointing, but the team is made of a nice blend of veteran talent and youthful upside that could pay off in the future. It starts with the experienced players on the roster, Jamison Battle and Dawson Garcia.

Battle's scoring has dipped from 17.5 points per game last season to 12.9 this season and his shooting percentage has dropped from 45% to 35.8%, but there's no question he'll improve with time. Garcia, the Prior Lake native who transferred from North Carolina to be closer to his family in Minnesota, leads the Gophers with 15.6 points and 6.6 rebounds per game.

Battle will be a senior next season while Garcia has two years of eligibility left. If you consider both a building block, that's a great start with a 6'7'' wing (Battle) and a 6'11'' forward (Garcia) who can play inside and on the perimeter.

Meanwhile, the frontcourt is one of the big beneficiaries of Johnson's recent recruiting classes as Pharrel Payne looks like a future star. Averaging 7.4 points, 3.4 rebounds and just over one block per game, he appears to be a dynamic player along with Joshua Ola-Joseph (6.8 points, 2.6 rebounds). Both Twin Cities natives are freshmen.

Gopher fans should really be excited about the 2023 class, which contains a massive crown jewel in Dennis Evans, who recently jumped to 11th on Rivals' Top 150 recruits list.

A 7-1, 210-pound center out of Riverside, Calif., Evans possesses a 7-foot-7 wingspan. To put that in comparison, Orlando's Mo Bamba, Minnesota's Rudy Gobert and Houston's Boban Marjonovic are the only current NBA players that have a longer wingspan.

Go Gophers!!

per Chad:

If you're frustrated with the Gophers on the court this season, there appears to be big-time potential in the very near future. Coming off a 13-17 record last season, the Gophers men's basketball team is 7-9 this season and has fallen into last place in the Big Ten.

Contending in the Big Ten and being considered for the NCAA tournament isn't likely this season, but consider each game as a block in the foundation of what head coach Ben Johnson is building. The future is bright and it starts with the talent that's already on the roster.

Yes, the Gophers' 1-5 start in Big Ten play is disappointing, but the team is made of a nice blend of veteran talent and youthful upside that could pay off in the future. It starts with the experienced players on the roster, Jamison Battle and Dawson Garcia.

Battle's scoring has dipped from 17.5 points per game last season to 12.9 this season and his shooting percentage has dropped from 45% to 35.8%, but there's no question he'll improve with time. Garcia, the Prior Lake native who transferred from North Carolina to be closer to his family in Minnesota, leads the Gophers with 15.6 points and 6.6 rebounds per game.

Battle will be a senior next season while Garcia has two years of eligibility left. If you consider both a building block, that's a great start with a 6'7'' wing (Battle) and a 6'11'' forward (Garcia) who can play inside and on the perimeter.

Meanwhile, the frontcourt is one of the big beneficiaries of Johnson's recent recruiting classes as Pharrel Payne looks like a future star. Averaging 7.4 points, 3.4 rebounds and just over one block per game, he appears to be a dynamic player along with Joshua Ola-Joseph (6.8 points, 2.6 rebounds). Both Twin Cities natives are freshmen.

Gopher fans should really be excited about the 2023 class, which contains a massive crown jewel in Dennis Evans, who recently jumped to 11th on Rivals' Top 150 recruits list.

A 7-1, 210-pound center out of Riverside, Calif., Evans possesses a 7-foot-7 wingspan. To put that in comparison, Orlando's Mo Bamba, Minnesota's Rudy Gobert and Houston's Boban Marjonovic are the only current NBA players that have a longer wingspan.

Go Gophers!!
Are people aware that Dennis Evans' high school team is currently 12-11? Evans is second in scoring to a sophomore at 15.3 PPG and is averaging 9.6 RPG. Those hardly seem like the numbers of a player who is going to come in as a freshman and turn the tide of a Big Ten program. People need to put on the brakes of that idea. It's going to take some time for him to develop. Be fair to the young man.

Are people aware that Dennis Evans' high school team is currently 12-11? Evans is second in scoring to a sophomore at 15.3 PPG and is averaging 9.6 RPG. Those hardly seem like the numbers of a player who is going to come in as a freshman and turn the tide of a Big Ten program. People need to put on the brakes of that idea. It's going to take some time for him to develop. Be fair to the young man.
Some would say his coaches don’t want him to get numbers ;)

Last edited:

Question #1. Who is Chad?

Question #2. How does he define special?

I’m hoping like h*ll Ben gets this thing going, but when I watch this team visualizing the program being special next season is not a thought that crosses my mind. And then I think about the talent relative to other Big Ten programs. 😞

Last edited:

Question #1. Who is Chad?

Question #2. How does he define special?

I’m hoping like h*ll Ben gets this thing going, but when I watch this team visualizing the program being special in the future is not a thought that crosses my mind. And then I think about the talent relative to other Big Ten programs. 😞
Chad must be Ben Johnson

per Chad:

Go Gophers!!
Not according to a bevy of hot take posters out here.

High school big men are at the mercy of their guards. Last year I watched Boden Kapke Holy Family squad lose to a MPLS Edison team that finished last in the city conference. Think HF had two middle schoolers in their rotation. Matthew Hurt was pretty much everything from PG to center on his JM teams. Idk Evans high school situation, but I've seen plenty of really good bigs on mediocre high school teams. Evans earned his ranking in AAU and playing for the U.S 17U squad

High school big men are at the mercy of their guards. Last year I watched Boden Kapke Holy Family squad lose to a MPLS Edison team that finished last in the city conference. Think HF had two middle schoolers in their rotation. Matthew Hurt was pretty much everything from PG to center on his JM teams. Idk Evans high school situation, but I've seen plenty of really good bigs on mediocre high school teams. Evans earned his ranking in AAU and playing for the U.S 17U squad
I agree with most of this, but people are excited as he is a cornerstone that can be built on.

I think he’ll need three years at a minimum to develop into someone who can bang with the grown azz men in the Association. I do not see anything that indicates he’s a one and done.

it seems like Dennis isn’t in a hurry and will take a slow and steady approach “wins the race.”
The G and Euro leagues are littered with guys who for whatever reason didn’t stay long enough in college to develop emotionally, physically, mentally or with their bucket skills.
Patience is usually a friend, not a foe.

You you just made the point against this Chad article. What do we not have: good guards. Your point doesn’t just apply to HS. That article is one of the worst I have read, the analysis is so thin it basically doesn’t exist. Your explanation for his HS team’s lack of success is literally the situation he will walk into at Minnesota.

Great point, HF looks a lot better this year after they got that Edina transfer who just put up 44 points and a school record for HF.

This reminds me of the "There's Something Special Brewing in Lincoln!" article that ran before every season of the Scott Frost era.
Lavelle’s “silver lining” article about all the can’t miss prospects the Twins had. They all missed.

Competition and being an anomaly in size can lead to poor stats and development. His #17 National ranking comes off summer play and potential.

People used to argue that Deveon George was worse than Quincy Lewis because he would look bad at times in the MIAC. He was an athlete in a non-athlete league.

Gophers need a season without a bunch of injuries to fully develop guys through practices and games.

Top Bottom