SI: The $23 Million Question: Why Do Some Twins Fans Despise Hometown Hero Joe Mauer?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Win Twins!!

Mauer gets standing ovation for his first at-bat today (Sunday). Everyone is just taking it for granted that he's done.

I get it. Mauer did not want to come out and say he's retiring, because he did not want to go through all the tributes and such. He'll wait a few weeks and then announce very quietly that he's not coming back.

For the Twins' sake, I hope Mauer lets them know so they can make plans for the roster going forward.

Mauer gets standing ovation for his first at-bat today (Sunday). Everyone is just taking it for granted that he's done.

I get it. Mauer did not want to come out and say he's retiring, because he did not want to go through all the tributes and such. He'll wait a few weeks and then announce very quietly that he's not coming back.

For the Twins' sake, I hope Mauer lets them know so they can make plans for the roster going forward.

If he doesn't decide within a week or so of the World Series, they have to move on as if he's not coming back. You can always add a 1B/DH bench bat later in the off-season and that's essentially his role going forward.

I'd say the moment at catcher solves the mystery. That was pretty cool.

That was a perfect way to say goodbye (if he is retiring).

A feel-good moment at the end of a disappointing season

Now what are people going to complain about? If they can't complain about Mauer's salary, or not hitting home runs, they might (gasp) have to start asking questions about what the front office is doing - or not doing. We can't have that.

Top Bottom