SI projects Gophers to play in New Year's Day Bowl

What has become of New Year's Day is really sad.

I concur, but I did love the amount of college football I was able to watch last year on New Years Day.

Once the Gophers are lodged in the top 5 of B1G teams consistently, I would like to see only 5 B1G teams go to bowl games :)

Looks like a very terrible Purdue team played in that bowl game last year and got beat 55-14 by Oklahoma State.

The only bad bowl game is the Pizza Bowl in Detroit. Had a great time in Houston last year. Fun seeing all the 30 and 40 year old Tech women in cowboy boats and wearing size 8 dresses in a size 10 body! Damn, some fine looking women with healthy " twin sisters "!!

New Year's Day Bowl certainly does not mean what it did a few years ago. The amount of games available is great but the quality of games has gone way down hill. Way too many bowl games being played by way to many teams that don't deserve to be playing in one.

New Year's Day Bowl certainly does not mean what it did a few years ago. The amount of games available is great but the quality of games has gone way down hill. Way too many bowl games being played by way to many teams that don't deserve to be playing in one.

My complaint about NYD bowls is just the opposite - there aren't enough of them.

Moving the Cotton Bowl as well as two of the Fiesta/Sugar/Orange bowls off NYD to later in the week has taken away from the aura of what playing on NYD used to mean. The Heart of Dallas Bowl has no place on New Year's, but getting those other games back on January 1st in addition to the current lineup would make a world of difference.

Call me old-fashioned, but when I was a kid, there were four games on New Year's day: Cotton, Sugar, Rose and Orange. And, with games not running as long, you could literally watch all four games with minimal overlap.

That was what made playing on New Year's Day special. I don't have anything against the so-called Second Tier bowl games - I just wish they'd play on a different day.

Call me old-fashioned, but when I was a kid, there were four games on New Year's day: Cotton, Sugar, Rose and Orange. And, with games not running as long, you could literally watch all four games with minimal overlap.

That was what made playing on New Year's Day special. I don't have anything against the so-called Second Tier bowl games - I just wish they'd play on a different day.

The only good part would be at least they could say they had been to a NYD bowl game in the last 50 years. Even if it is a crappy game (and a worse Bowl than they've been to recently) it'd be nice to get that monkey off their back.

These guys know no more than any of us. I have us playing Alabama for the National Championship.

I concur, but I did love the amount of college football I was able to watch last year on New Years Day.

Once the Gophers are lodged in the top 5 of B1G teams consistently, I would like to see only 5 B1G teams go to bowl games :)

+1

My complaint about NYD bowls is just the opposite - there aren't enough of them.

Moving the Cotton Bowl as well as two of the Fiesta/Sugar/Orange bowls off NYD to later in the week has taken away from the aura of what playing on NYD used to mean. The Heart of Dallas Bowl has no place on New Year's, but getting those other games back on January 1st in addition to the current lineup would make a world of difference.

Yes!

I'm fine with all the added bowl games, but I do wish playing on NYD meant something. I'd like some of the BCS bowls back on NYD and some of the lesser bowls moved earlier. In my perfect world you'd have the bowls played pretty much in order from lest prestigious to most. The GoDaddy Bowl is on Jan. 5, the day before the national championship game? Something's wrong with that.

The only bad bowl game is the Pizza Bowl in Detroit. Had a great time in Houston last year. Fun seeing all the 30 and 40 year old Tech women in cowboy boats and wearing size 8 dresses in a size 10 body! Damn, some fine looking women with healthy " twin sisters "!!

The Motor City / Little Caesar's Bowl has been in existence since 1997 (16 games). It is very rare B1G Teams even play in it in spite of the tie-in. Northwestern has played once (in 2003) and Purdue has played in it twice.

+1

Top Bottom