SI: NFL Combine Winners: Safeties Who Could Interest Vikings

PitinoFan

Banned
Reaction score
If not in the first round, please trade up in the 2nd and grab him. I doubt he’ll make it to #58.

——-

....We continue looking at the secondary by analyzing a few safeties who could be targets for the Vikings. Given Mike Zimmer's quote last week that suggested the Vikings may not be able to re-sign Anthony Harris, plus the fact that Andrew Sendejo and Jayron Kearse are also free agents, safety has become a definite need for the Vikings this offseason. Rick Spielman and company may seriously consider taking one in the first two rounds.

Here are a few players who could interest the Vikings after strong weeks in Indy.

Antoine Winfield Jr., Minnesota

Winfield going to the Vikings would obviously be a cool story, with his dad having played nine seasons in Minnesota as a fan favorite and a highly productive corner. But it would be a lot more than just a cool story; Winfield is carving out a name for himself with his play in college and now a strong performance at the combine. His seven interceptions and three sacks last year put him on the map during Minnesota's first 11-win season in over a century. But heading into the combine, there were concerns about whether or not he had the speed and athleticism to justify an early pick in April. He answered those questions emphatically with an outstanding 4.45-second 40-yard dash (tied for third-best among safeties) and a very solid 36-inch vertical jump.

Winfield also had questions about his medical history after missing two seasons to season-ending injuries, but he apparently didn't give teams cause for concern when examined. He's undersized at 5-foot-9, but then again, so was his father. Winfield's elite anticipation and ball skills – plus his competitive toughness – give him a chance to be one of the first few safeties off the board. He's presumably behind a pair of projected first-rounders in Alabama's Xavier McKinney and LSU's Grant Delpit, but is right there with Cal's Ashtyn Davis and a handful of other players in the second tier. Will he last until the Vikings' second-round pick (No. 58 overall)?....

I haven't wanted the Vikings to draft a Gopher more in my life. Barring injury I think AWJr will be the best Gopher NFL player since Karl Mecklenburg.

I haven't wanted the Vikings to draft a Gopher more in my life. Barring injury I think AWJr will be the best Gopher NFL player since Karl Mecklenburg.

Feels like a potential match made in heaven with the Vikings needing a safety and having a draft pick in the vicinity of where Winfield is projected to go. Would be awesome to see him end up in Purple.

The Vikings are going to fumble this one away like they going all out with Kirk Cousins and spending all that money to deliver what - 28th best QB in the league? Don't know for sure, but it seems like it.

The so called outside consultants are going to over analyze AWjr because he has previous injuries, he is too small, etc... blowing a big opportunity to bring home a favorite son in Gopher AWjr in purple. That alone will be a major PR coup.

Did their draft picks pan out from last year? If they are going to be mediocre next season and most likely will lose Anthony Harris. They cannot afford him with a few players they need to sign yet. Pick AWjr in the 1st round and sign a bunch of UDFA OLs, etc...

What do I care about the Vikings anymore?

The Vikings are going to fumble this one away like they going all out with Kirk Cousins and spending all that money to deliver what - 28th best QB in the league? Don't know for sure, but it seems like it.

The so called outside consultants are going to over analyze AWjr because he has previous injuries, he is too small, etc... blowing a big opportunity to bring home a favorite son in Gopher AWjr in purple. That alone will be a major PR coup.

Did their draft picks pan out from last year? If they are going to be mediocre next season and most likely will lose Anthony Harris. They cannot afford him with a few players they need to sign yet. Pick AWjr in the 1st round and sign a bunch of UDFA OLs, etc...

What do I care about the Vikings anymore?

Kirk Cousins was in the MVP discussion for the entire back half of last season and ended up going to the pro bowl after finishing with the 4th highest passer rating in the NFL.
He was the best QB in the NFC North by a solid margin.

What team were you watching?

That comment was so ridiculously misinformed that I don't believe you watched a single game last year.

The Vikings might not draft Winfield, and if they don't, it's because they have much more pressing needs for next season.

If Winfield had a bad combine then I would have been pulling for the Vikings to take him in the 4th or 5th. Whoever they take in the 2nd needs to be a starter this year.

Reaching for an undersized safety with knee problems is a bad idea, no matter how much I like him, and how good I think he can be.

Last edited:

I wanted to elicit a response, and I got one. You are right. The Vikings have other pressing needs starting with drafting a legitimate high caliber OL. They have other needs. Good luck to them too in staying within the salary cap and signing all the players that they need to keep. They may not be able to hang on to Anthony Harris.

I am still a homer for AWjr.

With his projected cap hit, no way they resign Harris. Keep in mind that we have two starting caliber CBs who are Free Agents and we will likely cut Rhoades no Longer Closed. That's potentially 4 starting caliber loses in the back of the defense. Look for the Vikings to surprise and draft a CB or safety in the first if one of their guys are available.

Kirk Cousins was in the MVP discussion for the entire back half of last season and ended up going to the pro bowl after finishing with the 4th highest passer rating in the NFL.
He was the best QB in the NFC North by a solid margin.

What team were you watching?

That comment was so ridiculously misinformed that I don't believe you watched a single game last year.

The Vikings might not draft Winfield, and if they don't, it's because they have much more pressing needs for next season.

If Winfield had a bad combine then I would have been pulling for the Vikings to take him in the 4th or 5th. Whoever they take in the 2nd needs to be a starter this year.

Reaching for an undersized safety with knee problems is a bad idea, no matter how much I like him, and how good I think he can be.

I wasn’t aware of AWjr having “knee problems?”

That is his Achilles heel on a rather stellar college career. Hopefully, the Vikings will not hold that against him. He's young.

Yep, Lisfranc injury. I’m no doctor, but that and a hamstring probably doesn’t sound as bad to prospective teams as ACLs on both knees.

How common is this? Is this a re-ocurring injury once you've had one?

Top Bottom