SI: Gophers' PJ Fleck: Without NIL money, we can't keep team intact

PJ Fleck will be packing his bags and heading to Michigan State.
More money, bigger stage and NIL dollars to buy some talent.

None of the teams in the West have NIL $$$ like that. There are a handful of teams across the country with significant NIL $. We are a AAA team if the NCAA doesn't fix this, but so are 85% of the teams in the Big Ten. Michigan, Ohio State, Oregon, and USC might be the only one's with huge NIL $, with a next tier of Penn State. Very few people are asking PJ to be competing for the playoffs this year, just to beat other bad teams in the West.
Do you have a break down of NIL $ by west division teams? My feeling is the Gopher football program is in the bottom third.

on NIL - in my experience, the really big money for "pay to play" NIL comes from the Boosters - like John Ruiz in Miami.

and for whatever reason, MN just does not seem to have those types of fans - the people who are both 1. really freakin' rich and 2. love their local college FB program.

Texas A&M just agreed to play $75-million to get rid of their FB coach. SMU essentially gave up $70-million in future revenue to join the ACC.

how can those schools do that - because they have Boosters who are really freakin' rich, love the program, and are willing to cough up the cash if they think it helps the program.

Maybe if the Gophers and T. Denny Sanford had not had their falling out, he might have been someone who could have thrown some money into the NIL pot.

Is there anyone else out there with that much money who is willing to help out the Gopher program? Are there any Gopher alums who are stinkin' rich? I don't know.
You are on point.

I think culturally Minnesota is different than the south when it comes to football. Football in SEC country is religion. If you are someone giving money to NIL in Louisiana, Texas, or Mississippi, you are revered in your community.

If a major donor in Minnesota decided to donate large sums of money to NIL publicly in Minnesota, the majority would ask why he didn't donate it to the childrens hospital or a homeless shelter.

We'd be able to keep our depth and our big time guys who blossom once they get on campus. As it exists, we have no way to keep Taylor, for instance, unless he shows a degree of loyalty that's become more uncommon than in the past. And I can't fault him for taking a paycheck.
True, if we had OSU money. But all things being equal most elite players would choose to showcase their talent at Ohio State.

@MaxyJR1 I assume they were doing a 3-man rotation at guard with Cooper being the both sides guy. But could be wrong.

For ILL I believe Cooper was out and GJ and Lewis played the whole game. Unfortunate for a true fresh to go against Newton at times.

PJ Fleck will be packing his bags and heading to Michigan State.
More money, bigger stage and NIL dollars to buy some talent.
I have seen this rumor before, where is this being reported? GI or another fan site?

Is there anyone else out there with that much money who is willing to help out the Gopher program? Are there any Gopher alums who are stinkin' rich? I don't know.
This is why I've said that in less than five years, St. Thomas will be a better, more powerful basketball program than the Gophers. They have the wealthy alumni willing to pay for it.

That’s a stretch @disco because they still play in a high school gym and they’re in the Summit. Would a top player play in the Summit over the Big Ten just for money? I don’t know about that. They’ve been so tightly coupled at this point, I don’t know if we have reasonable examples.

But if they build a 5-8k gym and get a Big East invite, then absolutely no reason to doubt it could become like Neb vs Creighton.

That’s a stretch @disco because they still play in a high school gym and they’re in the Summit. Would a top player play in the Summit over the Big Ten just for money? I don’t know about that. They’ve been so tightly coupled at this point, I don’t know if we have reasonable examples.

But if they build a 5-8k gym and get a Big East invite, then absolutely no reason to doubt it could become like Neb vs Creighton.
They are building a brand new arena for basketball and hockey. Paid for in part by a $75 million booster donation. Is anyone donating $75 million to the Gophers right now? Is there anyone who would?

By the way, on PJ's radio show today when asked about the transfer portal he said the transfer portal takes money.

This reminder doesn't seem like it's going away.

Doesn’t show capacity, but looks very similar to NDSU arena at 5k.

We’ll see how they do in that for a few years. But don’t think that kind of size is attractive to Big East, which has to be their ultimate target. Granted they can say they’ll play big MBB games in Xcel.

“Transfer portal takes money”

Again that’s where we have to go after FCS and G5 guys. Not P5 lateral transfers.

“Transfer portal takes money”

Again that’s where we have to go after FCS and G5 guys. Not P5 lateral transfers.
The coach said on his radio show that they all cost money. He also said that there's guys that are quitting in the middle of the year so they don't get hurt before they hit the portal (didn't specify where this is occurring, here or elsewhere).

Doesn’t show capacity, but looks very similar to NDSU arena at 5k.

We’ll see how they do in that for a few years. But don’t think that kind of size is attractive to Big East, which has to be their ultimate target. Granted they can say they’ll play big MBB games in Xcel.
5500 estimated. There are a lot of D1 basketball arenas with under 6000 seats. Gonzaga is one.

The coach said on his radio show that they all cost money. He also said that there's guys that are quitting in the middle of the year so they don't get hurt before they hit the portal (didn't specify where this is occurring, here or elsewhere).
That sounds pretty far-fetched to me.

Do you have a break down of NIL $ by west division teams? My feeling is the Gopher football program is in the bottom third.
Based on what? Not who I am talking with. The only one with any kind of NIL in the West is Nebraska, and that's not in the league of top schools.

Sure arena looks good.

But other bigger part of my point is that money or no they’re not going to get guys to put them on par with Gophers, playing in a low-major.

Mid-major that would be realistic for them is MVC. Don’t know how fast that would be, but there you’re talking about Drake. Is Drake on par with Gophers?

You are on point.

I think culturally Minnesota is different than the south when it comes to football. Football in SEC country is religion. If you are someone giving money to NIL in Louisiana, Texas, or Mississippi, you are revered in your community.

If a major donor in Minnesota decided to donate large sums of money to NIL publicly in Minnesota, the majority would ask why he didn't donate it to the childrens hospital or a homeless shelter.

Good point. Definitely think there's a bit of a cultural difference between places like Minnesota and some of these southern states. Probably good for the state as a whole......less so for Gophers athletics.

NIL is real and it is not going anywhere, but it will probably start to get regulated a little more.

Minnesota has a ton of money and 15 FORTUNE 500 companies!! It is time to step up in a major way or we will always be playing in the shadows and never be relevant.

As a State we are so brutally LIBERAL, sorry, but true, and most are haters and don't want sports to survive.

NIL is real and it is not going anywhere, but it will probably start to get regulated a little more.

Minnesota has a ton of money and 15 FORTUNE 500 companies!! It is time to step up in a major way or we will always be playing in the shadows and never be relevant.

As a State we are so brutally LIBERAL, sorry, but true, and most are haters and don't want sports to survive.
Not sure where political spectrum fits into this. Not to mention that your point is more consistent with fiscal conservatism, not distribution of wealth, which would be more parallel with being liberal. Let's keep it on topic and not hijack the thread into a personal political agenda.

You are over-emphasizing a loss to Purdue if you felt this was the point you had to make on this topic.

Some truth there. Back in the’70s Minnesota had just over 30 Fortune 500 companies based in the state. Now less than half that number. Just another indicator things are not trending well for Minnesota.

Not sure where political spectrum fits into this. Not to mention that your point is more consistent with fiscal conservatism, not distribution of wealth, which would be more parallel with being liberal. Let's keep it on topic and not hijack the thread into a personal political agenda.
You just did.

The only way any of our major companies get behind it is if it becomes a "One Minnesota" thing or a deal where not participating makes them a social outlier.

To be frank, our state would be more likely to succeed at NIL if we decided to tax ourselves into support the Gophers NIL like we decide to tax ourselves to help ensure we have clean drinking water and parks (when we already have clean water and parks).

Someone needs to pass a "Recreational activities and Health Act of Minnesota" in which 50% of the proceeds go to the met council or some other government agency and the other 50% is earmarked for NIL opportunities for athlete who play division one sports in this state.

FWIW - the announcers in the game I saw against Texas IIRC, said they thought he would play on Sundays.

I wonder what kind of football cash Kansas has - unlimited for buckets I imagine. If schools like them are out NILing us in football, then we’re in deep 💩.

Outside of Mangino’s run, they’ve been worse than us.
Kansas might have the best HC in Football today.

Top Bottom