SI: Bulletin board material for Gophers quarterback Athan Kaliakmanis

I agree the ranking is low, but in all fairness.

AK's raw stats last year:

54% completion - 3TD, 4 INT.

taken out of context, if you looked at those numbers without knowing anything else or doing any further research, you would say those numbers are not impressive.

Does anyone think that Clint Brewster spent hours researching every D1 QB before creating his list? Heck, no. He probably spent about this much time on it:

"OK, MN. let's see. Morgan graduated. backup only completed 54% with 3td and 4int. probably not very good. on to the next team."

I am not exaggerating when I say that Brewster probably spent 5 minutes or less evaluating AK.
not worth getting bent out of shape about.
Brewster was called out in the comments for just being spiteful in which he responded that he "loves watching Minnesota play football and that Athan showed good things against WI and thinks Athan can move up the rankings."

Brewster was called out in the comments for just being spiteful in which he responded that he "loves watching Minnesota play football and that Athan showed good things against WI and thinks Athan can move up the rankings."
He rated Noah Kim higher. Kim has never started a game and was a much lower ranked recruit out of HS. Based on that, it seems he is ranking Athan lower because of his performance last year. Otherwise it doesn't make sense to rate a guy like Kim higher.

Man the season can't get here fast enough so we don't have to debate these dumb types of rankings anymore, LOL.

I agree the ranking is low, but in all fairness.

AK's raw stats last year:

54% completion - 3TD, 4 INT.

taken out of context, if you looked at those numbers without knowing anything else or doing any further research, you would say those numbers are not impressive.

Does anyone think that Clint Brewster spent hours researching every D1 QB before creating his list? Heck, no. He probably spent about this much time on it:

"OK, MN. let's see. Morgan graduated. backup only completed 54% with 3td and 4int. probably not very good. on to the next team."

I am not exaggerating when I say that Brewster probably spent 5 minutes or less evaluating AK.
not worth getting bent out of shape about.
I think guys like Clint Brewster having a platform is more of a reason for peoples' shapes to get bent.

Wisconsin must really have sucked last year if the 67th out of 69 ranked Power 5 quarterback outplayed Mertz and beat the skunks. Clint went out on a limb with this one and will look pretty silly if AK has even an average season. He has to remember that not all 4 star quarterbacks that go to MN are way overrated like he was.

Wisconsin must really have sucked last year if the 67th out of 69 ranked Power 5 quarterback outplayed Mertz and beat the skunks. Clint went out on a limb with this one and will look pretty silly if AK has even an average season. He has to remember that not all 4 star quarterbacks that go to MN are way overrated like he was.
nerdtainment-david-marker.gif

As others have said, and I have commented on this in the past too: the absolute worst part of the off season is these ridiculous “rankings.”

Best stadiums, top 10 uniforms, etc. etc.

I always chuckle to myself particularly when I see “best uniforms”. They are almost always entirely composed of top teams with the largest fan bases, with one or two no-name teams thrown in to avoid the criticism of it just being fodder for big fan base clicks.

Alabama almost always appears on best uniform lists. Georgia Southern has never appeared on a best uniform list. They essentially wear the same uniforms, one blue the other red. Hmmmm. It is all so dumb but it continually preys on interest in the sport, for clicks and tweets.

This Latest Clint Brewster thing is equally dumb but the fact we are talking about it also means it was successful.

I have actually blocked “big game boomer” because I have found his lists to be beyond dumb and uninformed. But, there will always be more big game boomers, and Clint Brewsters.

It's obvious there is not much effort put into some of these lists, especially once we're beyond the top 20 or so. A much better and more detailed analysis was put out by my go-to Michigan sports blog MGoBlog.

The discussion is limited to QBs on Michigan's schedule, and the author, Alex Drain, has the Minnesota QB listed ahead of Indiana, Rutgers, Michigan State, and Nebraska.
The QBs listed as better than Athan on his list are at Purdue, PSU, OSU, and Maryland.

Drain has also analyzed RBs, Receivers, and OLs of Michigan's opponents and should get to defenses next.

Top Bottom