SI article on 2019 Virginia title being a fluke!

alchemy2u

Reaction score
So, maybe Bennett is not a coaching GOD.

“The record: 6-0 in 2019, 7-8 otherwise. The Cavaliers are serial underachievers, glass-jawed tourney softies, the opponent every double-digit seed wants to see in their bracket on Selection Sunday.”

“The record: 6-0 in 2019, 7-8 otherwise. The Cavaliers are serial underachievers, glass-jawed tourney softies, the opponent every double-digit seed wants to see in their bracket on Selection Sunday.”

I would absolutely love to follow an NCAA team that underachieved to a 7-8 NCAA record over the past 10-12 years. Sign me up!

Virginia needs to fire him so he feels desperate to come here.

7-8 once you ignore their title lol
Even losing 8 times means they qualified that often. In the 14 years before Bennett arrived they made it to the NCAA Tourney 3 times and won a single game.

I would love to put up with that kind of failure.

Last edited:

This reminds me of a theory I've been thinking about. . .you know, if you just ignored his ability to throw, Tom Brady wouldn't be that good of a football player.

Yes, we would love to have their record, etc..
Yes, they have a very good coach
Yes, they have better players
Yes, they have a better program than us
Yada yada yada yada.....

But we are not talking about the U, we are talking about Virginia.

Step back and look at it from fans of Virginia

They had one great year in the tourney, which can be celebrated for a long time.

But have basically shit the bed most other years in the tourney.

"Since winning it all with a succession of nail biters, this is Tony Bennett’s tourney body of work: first-round upset loss to No. 13 seed Ohio; NIT; first-round upset loss to No. 13 seed Furman.

And this was Bennett’s Virginia body of work before 2018: first-round upset loss as to No. 16 seed UMBC, merely the biggest upset in tournament history; second-round loss to No. 4 seed Florida; regional final loss as a No. 1 seed to No. 10 seed Syracuse; second-round upset loss as a No. 2 seed to No. 7 seed Michigan State; Sweet Sixteen upset loss as a No. 1 seed to No. 4 seed Michigan State; NIT; blowout first-round loss as a No. 10 seed to No. 7 Florida."

I can see how Virginia fans would be upset with some of their recent losses. From a Gopher perspective I would take his results in a heartbeat WITHOUT the title.

Gopher fans are still living off 1997 and before.

Yes, we would love to have their record, etc..
Yes, they have a very good coach
Yes, they have better players
Yes, they have a better program than us
Yada yada yada yada.....

But we are not talking about the U, we are talking about Virginia.

Step back and look at it from fans of Virginia

They had one great year in the tourney, which can be celebrated for a long time.

But have basically shit the bed most other years in the tourney.

"Since winning it all with a succession of nail biters, this is Tony Bennett’s tourney body of work: first-round upset loss to No. 13 seed Ohio; NIT; first-round upset loss to No. 13 seed Furman.

And this was Bennett’s Virginia body of work before 2018: first-round upset loss as to No. 16 seed UMBC, merely the biggest upset in tournament history; second-round loss to No. 4 seed Florida; regional final loss as a No. 1 seed to No. 10 seed Syracuse; second-round upset loss as a No. 2 seed to No. 7 seed Michigan State; Sweet Sixteen upset loss as a No. 1 seed to No. 4 seed Michigan State; NIT; blowout first-round loss as a No. 10 seed to No. 7 Florida."
Again from a Virginia fans point of view, before Bennett got there they had 3 NCAA appearances and 1 Tourney win and the previous 14 years.

Even post 2019 needs context.

2020 they were 23-7 / 15-5 in the ACC and poised for another high seed, but there was no Tourney. Maybe the bow out again early, but who knows?

2021 disjointed season followed by the entire event being played in the Indianapolis area. It was not a typical season, seeding process or tournament.

2023 they lost with a kid making a the most ill advised backcourt ball handling decision at the end of a game since Kevin Burleson vs Illinois. (Apologies Gopher fans for even brining that up but it's what I flashed back to).

I would absolutely love to follow an NCAA team that underachieved to a 7-8 NCAA record over the past 10-12 years. Sign me up!
I'll take him. You know, UVA could still have held on to the great Dave Leiteo lol

I guess regular season records and conference championships don't matter to a coaches resume for Pat Forde? The only body of work is post season?
I wonder how he feels about Matt Painter?

Even losing 8 times means they qualified that often. In the 14 years before Bennett arrived they made it to the NCAA Tourney 3 times and won a single game.

I would love to put up with that kind of failure.
Exactly... I see it a lot in the NFL when they compare post-season W/L records... Well, unless you win the Super Bowl you are guaranteed to get a loss in the playoffs.

Virginia’a fluke season is a national championship. Our fluke season is finishing 4th in the conference. Advantage: Virginia.

Top Bottom