SI Article about the Gophers, Jerry Kill

A decent read but when an article like this has multiple errors it bugs me. Leidner wasn't a true freshman last year, Kill's seizure was against Western Illinois, and I'm pretty sure we have more than 7 returning starters on offense.

If you consider Nelson, Ed Olson and Mike Henry starters to go along with Engel then we only return 7 but if you consider Lauer, Lieder and a third receiver instead of a FB starters then we return 10 starters and all 11 starters for the last 3 games that Engel didn't play in. I prefer to say we return 10 just cause it sound much better then 7.

2013 Gophers converted 70% of the the 4th down conversions. (wont happen in 2014) in 2014 we will be down a key player who made the 70% possible.

Jerry Kill has his toughest battle yet trying to make chicken salad out of this.

If you consider Nelson, Ed Olson and Mike Henry starters to go along with Engel then we only return 7 but if you consider Lauer, Lieder and a third receiver instead of a FB starters then we return 10 starters and all 11 starters for the last 3 games that Engel didn't play in. I prefer to say we return 10 just cause it sound much better then 7.

But when we win with only 7 starters returning, it shows that we have great depth and development.

But when we win with only 7 starters returning, it shows that we have great depth and development.

It makes my case of how much better we will be then the previous year that much more valid when arguing with badger, hawkeye and husker fans, but yeah guess when we do win 9 or 10 games next year then we can say we only had 7 returning starters.

2013 Gophers converted 70% of the the 4th down conversions. (wont happen in 2014) in 2014 we will be down a key player who made the 70% possible.

Jerry Kill has his toughest battle yet trying to make chicken salad out of this.

wait!what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The good news for you is that Toolism can sometimes be overcome.

A decent read but when an article like this has multiple errors it bugs me. Leidner wasn't a true freshman last year, Kill's seizure was against Western Illinois, and I'm pretty sure we have more than 7 returning starters on offense.

"Starters" is a relative and arbitrary term. How many players have regular play experience. In this system? A lot.

"Starters" is a relative and arbitrary term. How many players have regular play experience. In this system? A lot.

+1 You are right on! Many of us seem to be prisoners of the old definition of "starter". At one time a player was a "starter" on both offense and defense because the rules did not allow for unlimited substitutions. The game has now evolved so much that we even have players who play just on third and long situations. That is one of the reasons why "depth" is so much more important today.

Top Bottom