Shriner's, Kiwanis etc

denguegopher

Reaction score
Just read an obit in the Rochester paper and one man was very involved in these organizations. He appeared to contribute a lot to the community. Is it necessary to be invited by a current member to join these associations?

Just read an obit in the Rochester paper and one man was very involved in these organizations. He appeared to contribute a lot to the community. Is it necessary to be invited by a current member to join these associations?

Shriners, absolutely. No idea on Kiwanis. Shriners are a fairly elevated level Masons and yes, someone would need to sponsor you

Shriners, absolutely. No idea on Kiwanis. Shriners are a fairly elevated level Masons and yes, someone would need to sponsor you
This^^^^. I’ve been a Shriner for 10 years now. Love what we do. I will say initiation is an experience and I’ll leave it at that 😎

I don't believe Kiwanis or Rotary need invitation. I was in the Rotary Club back when I worked in Minor League Baseball. Great way to get connections in the community. The company paid the dues so I got a free meal every week and presented once a year just before our season.

the Kiwanis club where I live is basically a service organization. they raise money to support local causes. I think anyone can join as long as they are sponsored by a current member. they have regular meetings and often have guest speakers - like the local School Superintendent will talk to them about some program that needs financial support.

the Shriners are a different story. as noted, they are an off-shoot of the Masons. There are Shriners' Children's hospitals in a number of cities. there is also a Shrine Circus that tours in the Midwest.
and the East-West Shrine Bowl is the longest-running College Football All-State Game. it's a fund-raiser for the Children's hospitals.

(I had a buddy who - whenever he would see a Shriners' unit in a parade - would always yell "Drink Up, Shriners" at them. so that's what I think of when I see or hear anything about the Shriners. I've seen Shriners groups appear in parades with motorcycle units.)

the Kiwanis club where I live is basically a service organization. they raise money to support local causes. I think anyone can join as long as they are sponsored by a current member. they have regular meetings and often have guest speakers - like the local School Superintendent will talk to them about some program that needs financial support.

the Shriners are a different story. as noted, they are an off-shoot of the Masons. There are Shriners' Children's hospitals in a number of cities. there is also a Shrine Circus that tours in the Midwest.
and the East-West Shrine Bowl is the longest-running College Football All-State Game. it's a fund-raiser for the Children's hospitals.

(I had a buddy who - whenever he would see a Shriners' unit in a parade - would always yell "Drink Up, Shriners" at them. so that's what I think of when I see or hear anything about the Shriners. I've seen Shriners groups appear in parades with motorcycle units.)
Shriners help out more than just the children’s hospitals although that is on the top of list. We help out many things locally too. Speaking of the circus ours is coming up in a couple of weeks. Always a good time

Wait...so the guys who drive around a parade in those goofy go-karts, also run hospitals, also run circuses, and also are Masons??

Top Bottom