Should we hire a QB coach instead?

nemosgold

Reaction score
Fisch primarily has worked with WR's. Would it be better for Brew to hire an experienced QB?

I'm sure it will be considered. Fisch was an asst. QB coach at Baltimore for a few years so it isn't like he hasn't worked with QB's. I think ideally you would like the OC to work with QB's because he should have the greatest mastery of the offense and be able to communicate that to the QB. However, Oklahoma has the Passing Game Coordinator (Norvell) serve as the WR coach so it can obviously work. The benefit of having coaches that have coached multiple positions in multiple offenses is that they bring flexibility to allow the team to bring in the best possible position coach.

I think we need to look at finding a position coach that can recruit in Florida to replace what McDonald brought to the table. We picked up a lot of talented players from Florida this year (Carter, Singleton, Jacques, Keise...Ward?). Florida is the second most represented state in this class behind only Minnesota.

I think we should get Mike Hohensee as our Quarterbacks coach, instead of a Wide Receiver coach.

Why alumni?

What is the obsession with wanting to have old Gophers come back and coach? The Hohensee hobby horse has been ridden to death. Would you rather have a staff full of alumni, or a staff full of good coaches? I personally would rather have the latter.

I think we should get Mike Hohensee as our Quarterbacks coach, instead of a Wide Receiver coach.

I have mixed feelings about QB coaches. I have a buddy who is a HS coach and I told him that I would love to be a high school QB coach. Probably because I did not have one, I want to a coach who gets into the head of teh QB (really work on footwork, coach the QB so that he knows that with just a little movement of the chin he can put linebackers out of position, etc). The high school coach says, "you do that and you will have one screwed up HS QB." He said that you overcoach a QB and its all over - give the kid the basics and let his ability take over. Now the college level is of course different, but I do believe that it is possible to overcoach and maybe a QB coach would do that. I recall that Husker (I think) said that kickers get way overcoached and it can mess them up royally.

No! Fisch needs to be working with the QBs for his own sake, and not just for the QBs. He needs to get comfortable being the OC himself, IMO, and working directly with the QBs will do more for that then with the WRs.

No! Fisch needs to be working with the QBs for his own sake, and not just for the QBs. He needs to get comfortable being the OC himself, IMO, and working directly with the QBs will do more for that then with the WRs.

I agree! And Fisch certainly will have input and considerable influence as to what and how the wide receivers coach is coaching....

If Peyton wanted him coaching him at QB, then I want him coaching our QB's. We can get a WR coach. I agree with your point about him getting more comfortable as an OC that way as well.

If Peyton wanted him coaching him at QB, then I want him coaching our QB's. We can get a WR coach. I agree with your point about him getting more comfortable as an OC that way as well.

Did Peyton Manning tell this to reporters, or are you going of off Brewster's comment?

What is the obsession with wanting to have old Gophers come back and coach? The Hohensee hobby horse has been ridden to death. Would you rather have a staff full of alumni, or a staff full of good coaches? I personally would rather have the latter.
Whose to say that alumni can't be good coaches? Hohensee's got a lot of coaching experience. I'd be more concerned with his recruiting ability than his coaching ability.

I'm sure it will be considered. Fisch was an asst. QB coach at Baltimore for a few years so it isn't like he hasn't worked with QB's. I think ideally you would like the OC to work with QB's because he should have the greatest mastery of the offense and be able to communicate that to the QB. However, Oklahoma has the Passing Game Coordinator (Norvell) serve as the WR coach so it can obviously work. The benefit of having coaches that have coached multiple positions in multiple offenses is that they bring flexibility to allow the team to bring in the best possible position coach.

I think we need to look at finding a position coach that can recruit in Florida to replace what McDonald brought to the table. We picked up a lot of talented players from Florida this year (Carter, Singleton, Jacques, Keise...Ward?). Florida is the second most represented state in this class behind only Minnesota.

The last time i checked Ward hasn't commited to us.

BPT I think that is infered by the elipses and the question mark. ...Ward? means maybe/hopefully

I think both Hohensee and Johnson should be given strong consideration. And quite frankly Hohensee is probably well qualified for such a job.

Top Bottom