Should the weat join the Sun Belt?

PhiloVance

Reaction score

Mich Penn St and tosu will all leave the B1G once realignment happens... the vast majority of y'all said this expansion was years off but it's coming faster n faster.. acc will fold within 3 years and all blue bloods will join up and make 1 super conference of 14-16 teams... the rest will be feeder programs... get used to it.. it's going to happen..

Mich Penn St and tosu will all leave the B1G once realignment happens... the vast majority of y'all said this expansion was years off but it's coming faster n faster.. acc will fold within 3 years and all blue bloods will join up and make 1 super conference of 14-16 teams... the rest will be feeder programs... get used to it.. it's going to happen..
No it won't. There has to be a loser in each game played. Been said before many, many times.

People get paid to write this!
ron-swanson-love.gif

I don't see how reducing the # of fan bases who care from 60 to 16 creates some sort of financial bonanza. I wouldn't watch it.

I don't see how reducing the # of fan bases who care from 60 to 16 creates some sort of financial bonanza. I wouldn't watch it.
100% agree. The average college football fan is not an Ohio State, Alabama, Georgia fan.

The average college football fan primarily roots for their alma mater or main state school. Maybe a school they liked growing up or where they have family in attendance. A lot of fans cheer for G5 teams or FCS teams. They half-watch some randoms when there's nothing else on, like MAC games on a Tuesday.

They tune into some of the biggest games by default and that drives ratings for the prestige programs, but week-to-week college football passion and the breadth of games that get decent ratings would take a big drop in a lot of places like Minnesota or Iowa if they did this.

My guess is that the TV provider who had the "B League" contract would pay 10 cents on the dollar and end up coming out well ahead of the "Premier League" rights who paid massive bucks for a small and finite pie. And in the end, it's all minor league anyway.

100% agree. The average college football fan is not an Ohio State, Alabama, Georgia fan.

The average college football fan primarily roots for their alma mater or main state school. Maybe a school they liked growing up or where they have family in attendance. A lot of fans cheer for G5 teams or FCS teams. They half-watch some randoms when there's nothing else on, like MAC games on a Tuesday.

They tune into some of the biggest games by default and that drives ratings for the prestige programs, but week-to-week college football passion and the breadth of games that get decent ratings would take a big drop in a lot of places like Minnesota or Iowa if they did this.

My guess is that the TV provider who had the "B League" contract would pay 10 cents on the dollar and end up coming out well ahead of the "Premier League" rights who paid massive bucks for a small and finite pie. And in the end, it's all minor league anyway.
Yup exactly. I have watched exactly zero OSU, Bama, and Georgia games live. Sectioning them off Will not make “SEC, SEC, SEC” fans continue to watch. The allegiance this way keeps your network vastly more massive. Instead you become the B league to the NFL on a day when there’s vastly more things in competition for eyes that day.

Yup exactly. I have watched exactly zero OSU, Bama, and Georgia games live. Sectioning them off Will not make “SEC, SEC, SEC” fans continue to watch. The allegiance this way keeps your network vastly more massive. Instead you become the B league to the NFL on a day when there’s vastly more things in competition for eyes that day.

During the regular season, I most commonly watch these prestige programs in the 2nd half when it looks like South Florida, South Carolina, etc. might pull an upset.

I've never seen micro-ratings on games but I would imagine something like Alabama with its balls to the bandsaw against a bad G5 team draws stellar ratings as it gets closer to the finish.

It would be like abolishing the first weekend of the NCAA basketball tournament and just having 16 teams. Just a small circle of mostly traditional powers with none of the Madness.

You’ve got three main times lots on Saturdays, Noon, 330pm, and 730pm Eastern.

You’ve got four major players/studios/channels: FOX, ESPN, CBS, NBC.

That’s 12 games max, that matter.

If those four can still get major, or even better, ratings for those 12 slots, and by paying less overall than what they’re going to be paying to the major conferences start the next few years ….. how is it not plainly obvious that that is all that matters???

It doesn’t matter in the slightest if total viewership across all college football games goes down. Doesn’t matter in the slightest if total money across all college football games goes down.

You’ve got three main times lots on Saturdays, Noon, 330pm, and 730pm Eastern.

You’ve got four major players/studios/channels: FOX, ESPN, CBS, NBC.

That’s 12 games max, that matter.

If those four can still get major, or even better, ratings for those 12 slots, and by paying less overall than what they’re going to be paying to the major conferences start the next few years ….. how is it not plainly obvious that that is all that matters???

It doesn’t matter in the slightest if total viewership across all college football games goes down. Doesn’t matter in the slightest if total money across all college football games goes down.
Yes it does. First ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 need a lot more than 3 games between them. So does Fox/Fox Sports 1 and NBC/Peacock. And the viewership does matter as well. They're not going to keep paying if half the current fan base tunes out.

I agree but the NCAA has been all about this for years picking winners and losers in both football and basketball. Things are finally starting to even out now that every team can pay their players instead of just a select few "blue bloods".

Doubtful. How high do you think the media rights deal would be compared to what the Big 10 has now? Probably not going to be high enough to be worth it for them.

During the regular season, I most commonly watch these prestige programs in the 2nd half when it looks like South Florida, South Carolina, etc. might pull an upset.

I've never seen micro-ratings on games but I would imagine something like Alabama with its balls to the bandsaw against a bad G5 team draws stellar ratings as it gets closer to the finish.

It would be like abolishing the first weekend of the NCAA basketball tournament and just having 16 teams. Just a small circle of mostly traditional powers with none of the Madness.
That’s an excellent analogy.

Top Bottom