Should the Big Ten go to Promotion / Relegation?

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
With the scheduling all being tossed around, why not look at EPL soccer Promotion and Relegation?

Based off of the 2021 standings, divsision A would be the top division, and the teams in Division A would have been:

Michigan
Ohio State
Michigan St
Minnesota
Iowa
Wisconsin
Purdue

Division B:
Penn State
Illinois
Rutgers
Indiana
Nebraska
Northwestern

The top two teams from division A would advance to a 4 team playoff, against the top 2 from division B.
This would ensure an adequate mixture of games year to year. End of year, the top two from B move into A. The bottom two from A move into B.

All teams have the ability to still make the CFP playoff.

Right now, MSU, IA, WI, and Minnesota would be fighting to not get relegated.

Penn St and Illinois would both be looking to play in division A next year.

Do the con's of this idea outweigh the pro's?

How do they move up? By simply being the top B team?

Would MICH and tOSU play back-to-back weeks or would they be seeded A1, A2, B1, B2 with A1 Playing B2 and A2 playing B1?

I think they really should look to go to pods of 4 teams.

Play the 3 in your pod. Play 2 from the other 3 pods for 9 games. Two-year rotations and you will see every team within a 4-year period in your home stadium. (I think this is what they would do if they were done expanding at 16 teams.)

How do they move up? By simply being the top B team?

Would MICH and tOSU play back-to-back weeks or would they be seeded A1, A2, B1, B2 with A1 Playing B2 and A2 playing B1?

I think they really should look to go to pods of 4 teams.

Play the 3 in your pod. Play 2 from the other 3 pods for 9 games. Two-year rotations and you will see every team within a 4-year period in your home stadium. (I think this is what they would do if they were done expanding at 16 teams.)

Bottom two of A move down.
Top two of B move up.

Semifinals:

A1 vs B2
and
B1 vs A2

Scheduling nightmare. In the EPL there are 20 teams and you play 38 games...a home and home against each team.

With this scenario, you would want to have all the "B" teams play each other as to find the "best" teams to promote. Same with the "A" teams, so that it is more fair to relegate. But you wouldn't know the A from B until the season is over, or nearly over.

Also, there is no Maryland listed, so I guess they got the perma-relegation.

With the scheduling all being tossed around, why not look at EPL soccer Promotion and Relegation?

Based off of the 2021 standings, divsision A would be the top division, and the teams in Division A would have been:

Michigan
Ohio State
Michigan St
Minnesota
Iowa
Wisconsin
Purdue

Division B:
Penn State
Illinois
Rutgers
Indiana
Nebraska
Northwestern

The top two teams from division A would advance to a 4 team playoff, against the top 2 from division B.
This would ensure an adequate mixture of games year to year. End of year, the top two from B move into A. The bottom two from A move into B.

All teams have the ability to still make the CFP playoff.

Right now, MSU, IA, WI, and Minnesota would be fighting to not get relegated.

Penn St and Illinois would both be looking to play in division A next year.

Do the con's of this idea outweigh the pro's?
I like the idea if we go to a 20-team conference - 20 teams are too much for a single division. It'll never happen though because of the scheduling nightmares. Football schedules are set years in advance. I don't agree with your playoff scenario though. A team in the bottom division shouldn't get to play for the overall title. To win the title, you need to start the year in the top division.

The answer is no. They shouldn’t.

But the ACC, and what is left of the Big12 and Pac12 should pool the 36 teams they have left, and their football broadcast rights, and create two upper 12-team conferences, and one lower 12-team conference.

I love the concept and have wondered about this myself. But yea, it does sound like it would create some scheduling issues.

I love the idea of how intense a relegation game would get. Imagine you have two squads, already playing for a trophy, with the outcome also likely meaning relegation for a squad. It's a 'loser leaves town' match! I love it.

Can you imagine playing this knowing you just took the Axe AND SENT Sconnie packing!!?!

I love the concept and have wondered about this myself. But yea, it does sound like it would create some scheduling issues.

I love the idea of how intense a relegation game would get. Imagine you have two squads, already playing for a trophy, with the outcome also likely meaning relegation for a squad. It's a 'loser leaves town' match! I love it.

Can you imagine playing this knowing you just took the Axe AND SENT Sconnie packing!!?!
And then didn’t play them next year as they’re relegated. It doesn’t work in cfb

Scheduling issues aren’t even the issue. A relegated team would lose every player of value every time.

Top Bottom