Should the B1G go to four divisions if they get to 20 teams?

The SEC is going to have divisions too. The only conferences that got rid of them, or will be, are on the verge of collapse.
The SEC has not dropped them yet, but I had read they are strongly considering it.

I hope they don't feel compelled to set up some fake rivalry trophies with the existing B1G teams.
Rivalry games have to start somewhere... The key is to let them form organically and not try to "manufacture" one. Somebody forgets a water jug and they're told to come and win it back... Awesome. A couple of Governors make a bet... OK. The marketing departments at two schools brainstorm to come up with a trophy game... Mmmm, no thanks.

Let’s say they get USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington and California.
Norte Dame finally concedes and follows suit.

East
Md
Rutgers
Penn State
OSU
Indiana

LAKES
Michigan
MSU
NW
NOtre Dame
Purdue

Plains
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Iowa
Illinois
GOPHERS

PACIFIC
USC
UCLA
OREGON
CAL
Washington

Division winners play semifinals and consolation games after reg season.

Then the Championship Game.
Regular season you play the four teams in your division and four games cross-over.

That’s two high $$$$ games for the conference.
Oregon, Washington, and Cal seem to not be in the picture anymore. They don't add much to the B1G.

Quoted from SI above:

While most officials feel strongly that divisions are likely gone, and a pod system first floated out in the fall has been eliminated, the conference is virtually split on what to do next: eight conference games or nine?

No, it wouldn't.
Great counter. More interesting than playing Rutgers and Maryland every 4 or 5 years. Rather just not play them unless they make the title game. Like old school baseball.

Oregon, Washington, and Cal seem to not be in the picture anymore. They don't add much to the B1G.
Oregon adds recent Top 10 performance, Washington adds the Seattle market (which has TONS of B1G alumni in it). I wouldn't be shocked if we hear that talks have opened back up now that ND has made it clear they are staying independent for now.

Oregon adds recent Top 10 performance, Washington adds the Seattle market (which has TONS of B1G alumni in it). I wouldn't be shocked if we hear that talks have opened back up now that ND has made it clear they are staying independent for now.
It's not clear until there is a public statement from the University. Negotiation wise, whether they want to stay independent or not, they would say they did because that gives them more leverage.

Top Bottom