Should Colt have started, should he start next year?

He is a center in the Big Ten, range and athleticism??

What planet do you live on? He is more athletic than you give him credit for.

He will be monster next year or for sure his senior year. Ralph on the other hand will tease us, then morph back into his natural soft status.

Ralph vs. Colton = Brad Lohoaus vs. Karl Malone

I'll just say it's a little out there to equate Colton to Karl Malone in any way.

But, the bigger issue is, how much credit can we give Colton for a nice seven game stretch when Ralph had been putting up numbers like that for most of the season? This board tends to be incredibly fickle (remember all the "Colton should be playing DII ball" posts when he was struggling), and I think it's shortsighted to ignore the things Ralph did for this team for most of the season just because he struggled down the stretch.

I like both players. I love the high/low when they're on the floor together. But when it comes to starting, I think RSIII is the better player. I've loved his game since the day he got here, and I really think he will do some great things before he is gone.

SonOfTheJV; You missed the minutes per game factor , that would give Colton the advantage in both points (12.8) and blocks. Hopefully they can both up their games next season. I cannot say one is exponentially more important to the team than the other.

I don't really like the minutes per game factor for a couple of reasons. One, because the guys getting more minutes probably earned them, either through making a better impression on the coach, staying out of foul trouble, being a better team player, or any number of things (and Ralph did earn more minutes than Colton this season). And two, the minutes per game factor allows Devron Bostick and Tyler Griffey to be put among guys like Hoffarber, Bohannon, Diebler, Lighty, Allen, Gatens, Davis, and Richardson when it comes to scoring. And it would put Lawrence Westbrook ahead of Trevon Hughes, Demetri McCamey, Verdell Jones III, Kalin Lucas, Michael Thompson, and William Buford (and a decent bit ahead of a few of those guys), and just behind John Shurna, Manny Harris, and Talor Battle.

It is woefully premature to list the starting roster. I suspect that Ralph Sampson Jr. is going to keep III very busy this summer getting his game right. The ideal situation is that III gets some of Iverson in him, as to physicality, and that Colton can get some of III in him, as to some post moves and agility. But let's have the men battle it out on the court to determine who starts and when. Besides, I don't see being in the starting line-up as being as important than who is on the floor in the closing minutes.

(10.8 if you take away the two two-point games on either side of his injury)
LOL -Myron Style.

I don't really like the minutes per game factor

Colton-18mpg vs. Ralph-25mpg

You many not like it, but when comparing two players with similar minutes, on the same team at the same position it's quite effective in evaluating efficiency and production. And the fact is Colton's numbers hold up.

Ralph averaged more points per minute, more assists per minute, more blocks per minute, and more dunks per minute. CI led in fouls per minute and turnovers per minute.

You many not like it, but when comparing two players with similar minutes, on the same team at the same position it's quite effective in evaluating efficiency and production. And the fact is Colton's numbers hold up.

MPG;
Colton 5.6 PPG - 4.9 REB - 1.0 BLK
Ralph 6.4 PPG - 4.5 REB - 1.25 BLK

Opinions are all over the place.

I guess one question that didnt get addressed is that when Sampson's play went down and Iverson's went up, why didnt Tubby start Iverson? Many coaches including Tubby have "sat" players to send a message.

Maybe RSIII has a fragile ego, but if you want a player to be more aggressive, wouldnt you sit him on the bench and let the more aggressive player start even once! Maybe Sampson would come of the bench with some fire..its worth a shot.

I just find it strange. He sat Nolen, Westbrook, he even started R. Williams for playing well.

For Sophs, they were both good. The trouble is that they each have problems with certain types of opposition. Ralph appeared to have difficulty with physical centers and Colton with quick guys.
Pretty tough for a coach to change his starting lineup every game based on the opposing center. Probably best to adjust the minutes as the game progresses.

I like colt and RSIII, i couldn't ask for 2 more promising centers in the Big Ten. But don't deny that colt bricking a layup with 1 min 30 secs to go in the purdue game (yes the one at the barn), giving the boliers a 3 v 1 fast break on blake and an and 1 giving purdue the lead lost us the game. He had a horrible touch around the basket until the end of the season. Now that being said, last year RS III was much better, but next year its a toss up, both centers look dangerous going into next season. I would give Ralph the edge though seeing as he has a better mid range game and is solid on the boards and is overall more athletic giving him more blocks/assists. Colt i think will be there next season and will surpass sampson in rebounding, but thats it. I can't see colt being an offensive force.

Colt Foul Trouble

Colt needs to stay out of foul trouble. I try not to blame the refs but many calls on Colt seemed to me that he was trying to hold his ground and the other player was backing into him. Then "bleep" foul on Colt. Had seen some posters indicate Colt is hitting the other player with his lower body.

Really liked the refs in the NCAA tournament as they let Colt play.

Options?

1. Tubby and assistant couches make a point to the officials that Colt is not moving.
2. Acting + ballet clases for Colt so he will not look like he is going to foul
3. Maybe the student section can come up with a chant or signs to point out to the officials that Colt is not fouling

I believe that towards the end of the season Tubby tried to have the 2 bigs guys in the game at the same time if the matchups worked.The 2 guys played very well together against every team but OSU and UM.

Colt 45 is a dirty player, but that is a good thing for a big ten player

Colt 45 is a dirty player, but that is a good thing for a big ten player

Whhooaaa... examples please of true dirty play.... y'know like the Draymond Green elbow that Colt took on the floor in the Big Ten Tourney....

The inside game isn't for children, Colt plays tough, but not dirty....

It seemed like all the close calls went against colt early in the year. Later in the year when he was aggressive on offense that didn't happen. I noticed early in the year he would get pushed, bumbed, and would retaliate and the call would go against him.

He will be monster next year or for sure his senior year. Ralph on the other hand will tease us, then morph back into his natural soft status.

I live on the planet earth but you live in outer space. You said Colton Iverson would be a monster for us and dissed me for saying Colton was nothing special. Ha!

player.

Ralph turns the ball over all the time. His turnovers are based upon doing stupid things with the ball. Colton's turnovers are for lifting his pivot foot or being profiled by the officials.

RSIII's intensity level is low most of the time, and when he finally turns it up, it makes me wonder where it was the rest of of the time. Iverson always is intense and competitive, but Ralph cannot be counted on at all. He just is not mentally or physically tough. I am ore worried about the mental part.

The officials were taking Iverson out the game for much of the year with a endless series of BS charging and foul calls. The elbow calls in particular were crap. He was slapped at and pushed, then reacted with a full body pivot that happened to result in a elbow to the head. MSU home cooking there, without question!

Ralph is soft and will always be soft, so even if he changes for the better, still may turn soft when he is needed at crunch time.

Colton will be force from here on out now that he has confidence in himself, and that Tubby and staff trust him. Aslo it is important that the officials stop screwing with him now that he is a veteran and is established.

Ralph vs. Colton = Brad Lohoaus vs. Karl Malone

Colton is a "force" and is "Karl Malone"?? Now, that's funny!

The C Position Should Be WIDE Open Next Year

RSIII, Colt, EE, and Mo Walker all in competition.

Well we still have his senior year...

Top Bottom