Should Brewsters Contract be extended

vagopher

Reaction score
I initially thought Joel Maturi had lost his mind when he hired Brewster. I failed to see how an NFL position coach was likely to take us to the next competitive level. I warmed to Brewster, however, largely based on his enthusiastically stated belief, with which I agree, that Gopher Football can return to the elite status that it once enjoyed several decades ago. I think he has done a number of intelligent things to achieve that goal, not the least of which is to cultivate a good relationship with Minnesota High School coaches. I disagree with those who have criticized - even belittled - his enthusiasm. Effective recruiting - the life blood of a successful program - for a struggling program requires selling the future, and I believe that Brewster has demonstrated he can do that effectively. My concern, though, has always been whether he can coach.
I still have that concern. One reason is the number of penalties we are assessed. We are not a disciplined team. Another is play calling. I am not impressed. There is also the annual changes in the coaching staff and both offensive and defensive schemes.
The question is whether Brewster can grow into the job. We have made some progress. His one win initial season, in my opinion, was in large part because our talent pool had been seriously depleted. Last year was an improvement and given this year's more challenging schedule, one can argue, that we are still headed in the right direction. The Illinois loss and ugly SDSU win together with Adam Weber's regression from a year ago, among other things, though, give me pause.
So what should Joel Maturi do? Wins, or even competitive performances, at Iowa and in the forthcoming bowl game, would simplify things. You certainly don't fire Brewster if we have some success in the next two games. But what happens if we have a repeat of last year's Iowa blow out and disappointing bowl performance?
Given the economy and the monies spent buying out the Mason and Monson contracts, I doubt that funds are available for yet another contract buy out, unless one or more deep pocket alumni step up and fund it. Plus, firing Brewster risks a loss of some of his recruits many of which committed based on he and his staff. The ideal solution would be to hire a Tubby Smith like replacement - such as Tony Dungy - who could minimize or eliminate defections and enhance our recruiting appeal. That's probably not going to happen.
I think where that leaves us is that you live with Brewster for another year, regardless of what happens in the next two games. The more difficult question is whether you give him a contract extension. Probably yes if we win the next two games, but I think not if the results are less than reassuring. I realize that will adversely affect his recruiting ability, but I am willing to take that risk in order to preserve the opportunity to replace him if he fails to prove his worth next year.

Maturi is not in the camp that believes that you need to always keep multiple years on a coaches contract for him to recruit. So I doubt he'll extend him for that purpose. It is also more harmful to extend a coach one year than to offer a multiple year extension. One year suggests to everybody the administration is not behind the staff and the coach isn't worthy of the gamble. While simply doing nothing suggests the administration is still evaluating.

I think if the bigger question had been answered, if he can coach a winning team he'd have his extension. As you stated that question hasn't been answered yet. He's done what will make the difference should he prove he can coach, but without that final piece we'll continue to be Mason-esk but for opposite reasons.

And really if you think about it, why even consider a change? What's the worst that could happen? He'll continue to pile up great talent and all Maturi would have to do is find a coach with a similar play style and instant top twenty team. I doubt Brew will bolt. Extrememly low risk for Maturi to hold off on any decisions.

Here's why I think he should be extended: I think he deserves more than one more year to prove himself and the way to give him the best opportunity to succeed is to extend the contract. Hate to say it, but next year's schedule is not going to lend itself to a great record so as annoying as this year was listening to all the negatives, next year will be just as bad. They will lose 4-8 games next year. It's a brutal schedule. I think 2011 is Brewster's final exam...so naturally for that to happen, some sort of extension will have to take place. Might as well do sooner rather than later.

Here's why I think he should be extended: I think he deserves more than one more year to prove himself and the way to give him the best opportunity to succeed is to extend the contract. Hate to say it, but next year's schedule is not going to lend itself to a great record so as annoying as this year was listening to all the negatives, next year will be just as bad. They will lose 4-8 games next year. It's a brutal schedule. I think 2011 is Brewster's final exam...so naturally for that to happen, some sort of extension will have to take place. Might as well do sooner rather than later.

That is a good argument.

RE: Extend Brewster

I don't think it's a bad idea so you do not take the negative recruiting hit,
but I think it would probably be a good idea to give an out clause in there
in case the program does not go the way Brewster thinks it is going to go.

As much as everyone including me have harped on how frustrating it is to see
that our offense has showed no improvement in three years and is still not as
good as what Mason left us, I do see an improvement on the defensive side of
the ball and I also see some good up and coming defensive talent ready to step
up next year. The defense has to replace a lot of seniors, but I think we are
slowly seeing a defense that Gopher fans can be happy with.

I think Brewster is very close to turning this program around but he will need
at least 2 years to see if he can do it. If the offense is still as bad as it is right now,
Maturi will have no choice but to get rid of him, though.

Wow! Some thoughtful discussion of whether or not to extend Brewster - without the usual yipping and yapping - right here on GopherHole. Who'd have thunk it?

I'm with Schnoodler - another year won't hurt, and then we'll be beginning to see Brew's recruits take over starting positions and really show that his recruiting is having an effect.

If you're Maturi how can you extend him at this point? Record-wise, the program is basically where it was 3 years ago. We certainly believe that his recruiting has put better athletes in the program, but there has been zero indication so far that he can adequately coach whoever he has on the field. If Brewster is a better coach now than he was in 2007, it isn't evident.
So how does the AD extend a contract the department may have to eat?

Hudson14

I hear you there - extending Brewster's contract right now is extremely dangerous,
particularly after what the Gophers have shown the last 4 weeks.

If possible, I would load that contract up with some escape clauses where I could
terminate it if a certain performance level was not reached.

The football team is taking a bus to save 70,000.00 which I highly approve of - I
don't know if they will throw 5 million at Brewster to buy him out if things don't work
out within the next couple years.

You assume there is no way to extend him without protecting the U from 5 yrs of buyout and still extend him to allow him to recruit.

I think there is...and he should be extended so we don't screw up the recruiting.

GM

I bet Brew would be open to a contract extension that would be low risk for the U. Maturi has funny ideas about things so maybe he won't roll that way, but it's a good option.

..It's a brutal schedule. I think 2011 is Brewster's final exam...so naturally for that to happen, some sort of extension will have to take place. Might as well do sooner rather than later.

I agree on the timeline and think 2011 is the year where it needs to come together, but I thought Brewster already has a contract through 2011...am I wrong?

I think you're right. But the problem is having a coach in his last year is very bad. I don't know Maturi's thoughts on that, but even he would agree that it would be unwise to let a coach run down into his last contract year. But he could, although it would create a hole in recruiting that would be felt in 2014-15.

I think you're right. But the problem is having a coach in his last year is very bad. I don't know Maturi's thoughts on that, but even he would agree that it would be unwise to let a coach run down into his last contract year. But he could, although it would create a hole in recruiting that would be felt in 2014-15.

That's the problem.

Top Bottom