Should BREWSTER BE *FIRED*???

If We Go 4-8...Should Brewster Be Fired At The End Of The Season?

• Total voters

thailleagle

Reaction score
Worse Case Scenario We Finish 4-8...Should BREWSTER BE *FIRED*???

I don't think so.......

Let's end this NOW.......

I don't think this is going to end anything. :|

I was hoping people would VOTE & then explain their perspective without debating each other.......

Never in the middle of the year...let's see what happens the rest of the season.

Never in the middle of the year...let's see what happens the rest of the season.

Re-Read the Poll Title, couldn't change the original title once I submitted.......

If we finish 4-8.......

It is painfully obvious that some on these boards for reasons that seem best to them want Brewster gone. IMO this is very premature, but that is my opinion.

Not trying to be combative, but my point in writing this is that I am personally a little tired of seeing these type of threads. Critical thinking is one thing, but a little common sense is helpful as well.

At the beginning of the season, given the schedule, most would be happy with a 6-6 record, some of which were certain we would not even get 6 wins, voting for 4 or 5 wins. It is reasonable at this stage to expect 6 wins. It is disappointing how the PS and OS games went, especially given if there offense had shown up there was reason to believe entering into the games they could have pulled off upsets.

However, given the continual changes in the coaching staff and the OL, to judge Brew's coaching tenure at this stage is hardly right or fair. Some of the players he inherited are doing well, and some he recruited are developing themselves. NCAA Div 1 BCS college football is much more demanding then High School. It takes the average player a year or two, even 3 to make the transition, though occasionally a few seem to play at a high level right off the bat, it is hardly the norm.

This negativity over a bad game or two is really disparaging and the reason some no longer post on this site. IMO I respect their positions because some of the comments are simply over the top in antagonism, whether against Brew, certain players or Maturi. Gopher football needed more then a quick fix. Illinois experienced that a couple of years ago and look where they are at this year.

Brew should be allowed his 5 year contract. Other then the last 2 games, the Gophers have played very well this year and their defense has played respectable throughout the year, though stats are another matter. Their record will probably end at or maybe above where everyone predicted at the beginning of the year and as Willis's dad pointed out, look out for next year. It is as if some want to pull out the tree right before it is about to bear fruit. Though I was hoping for more out of the OL this year, they have shown improvement and next year they will be fine. The Gophers will have better RBs and Weber and the OC will be on the same page.

Some,or many may not like the job he is doing, but he is bringing in better players and that will take time to show up. Nobody will win playing Fr. and Sophs. Most teams play 3-4-5th yr players. Give the plan a chance. If after yr 4 or 5 we are in the same boat, its curtins for Brew. But let his building play out.

P.S. I work in the medical school here at the U, and for anyone who voted yes, I could refer you to some great neurologists to have your head examined.

If we go 4-8

I am not a Brewster fan, but I don't think he should be fired at this point. As I've argued before, I think he should be extended with caveats similar to Wacker's extension awhile back. Extend, with an out clause.

I have a hard time with this, but the reality is without extending him, Maturi cuts him off at the knees, particularly if we finish 4-8. Maturi trying to cover his tracks for making the hire in the first place only hurts everyone. If he's going to do that, then fire Brewster (and Maturi) now ONLY because hanging Brewster out to dry for two more years would be worse for the program than firing him now and really would be unfair to Brewster.

That being said, a 4-8 season includes a loss to SDSU. Losing 2 games to I-AA teams in three years is not the hallmark of a good coach in a BCS conference.

T...with all due respect...this line is getting awfully old and tired...worked over endlessly...can't we give this a rest until after the season? Enough of the speculative, negative "What if" doomerism.

I agree...but we both know should we lose Saturday we won't hear the end of this........

Patience!

The Gopher football team is sure taking a bashing. C’mon – did anyone really expect them to have a chance against tOSU? The game was close for a half and then the not-so-golden Gophers melted down. The season record is right where 90% of people predicted it would be at this point in the season, so what’s the complaint? The Gophers will be fine with a couple more years of patience. Some small progress this year and next and then big progress in 2011. If you consider schedule strength, this is a much better team than the one Brewster took over from Mason. Mason's teams couldn’t even pretend to play defense.

- Patience! That’s what it takes in college football. You don’t get to draft at the top of the first round, or trade with other colleges to shore up weak points. You have to go out and painstakingly recruit position by position. And then it takes 2 or 3 years (plus the redshirt year) before most of your recruits have the experience and knowledge to be ready to compete on a substantially higher level. Remember Mack Brown, head coach of Texas? He went something like 1-10 in each of his first two years at UNC (with Tim Brewster as his assistant, don’t forget). Now Mack is one of the deans of college coaches at Texas, with a perennial winner and a national championship under his belt. Patience! Be glad we only had one one-win season with Brew. ;)

T...the Gs are dogs Saturday...the Vegas experts expect an L...everyone here knows that. OTOH...if the Gs upset MSU and win...there will manic euphoria at GH and threads of a BT title next year...let's let the bipolar drama unfold.

T...the Gs are dogs Saturday...the Vegas experts expect an L...everyone here knows that. OTOH...if the Gs upset MSU and win...there will manic euphoria at GH and threads of a BT title next year...let's let the bipolar drama unfold.

Sunday morning is gonna be *VERY* interesting... :clap:

Well it's Unanimous, GH will stick behind Brewster even the we bomb the rest of the season...now next years poll might look completely different.......

Whoever said wait until the end of the season didn't read the question carefully.

I say if he ends this year like he did last year, it's proof we're heading backwards. We need someone like Tubby who's getting his team better every year and started off with a more bare cupboard

We need someone like Tubby who's getting his team better every year and started off with a more bare cupboard

It's a lot easier to turn around a basketball team than it is a football team, considering, you know, there are just 13 guys on a roster and the players take less time to develop.

Yeah that's a pretty unfair standard to hold him to. However the point that the team should improve every year, not necessarily in the standings though, is valid. Be it in talent level, production, execution and so on.

P.S. I work in the medical school here at the U, and for anyone who voted yes, I could refer you to some great neurologists to have your head examined.

I voted no. What are the odds you know someone in admissions? :)

Top Bottom