Shortell

kellyleeks

GH Hall of Fame '10
Reaction score
Any word as to where he's going? Hopefully, he ends up starting somewhere. I thought he would've landed somewhere for spring semester.

Word on the street is Max is taking a semester off. Max leaving the program IMO comes more from his father than Max. It's a very unfortunate decision on his part. Max would have been a great backup and give us solid QB depth. Max taking a semester off may have something to do with the NCAA possibly changing a rule in August that allows a player to transfer without sitting a year and loss of one year eligibility if the player has a 2.8 GPA or better. If successfully passed, it woud become effective 2014. Max then may not loose a year of eligability and play straight away. BTY, I don't see this as something that will benifit the Gophers, it wil only hurt.

Word on the street is Max is taking a semester off. Max leaving the program IMO comes more from his father than Max. It's a very unfortunate decision on his part. Max would have been a great backup and give us solid QB depth. Max taking a semester off may have something to do with the NCAA possibly changing a rule in August that allows a player to transfer without sitting a year and loss of one year eligibility if the player has a 2.8 GPA or better. If successfully passed, it woud become effective 2014. Max then may not loose a year of eligability and play straight away. BTY, I don't see this as something that will benifit the Gophers, it wil only hurt.

Why would he lose a year of eligibility either way? Under the current rules, he'd have to sit out a year but he'd be a junior in 2014 since he didn't redshirt.

What is your opinion based on?

That confused me as well. I never quite understood where this opinion of Max's father came from. The guy was on TV during the Syracuse game (I think?) for all of 45 seconds, mentioned Max would have benefited from RS'ing, and all of the suddent he's blasting the coaching staff and people think he's a parent in the same mold of Kris Humphries' dad?

It'll be interesting to see where he ends up, how much playing time he gets and how well he plays. Here's hoping for the best.

I think that since he announced his intention to transfer early and he didn't find a team to play spring ball with is very interesting. Maybe Max over estimated his value. Any QB transfer needs that spring to learn the new system...even if he is going to redshirt the next year because of transfer rules. I suspect he was put on back up plan lists by many schools in case their plan A signs with another team in Feb. So Max is waiting until after signing day to see who needs a QB.

My opinion is based on watching his father on TV being interviewed by ESPN, his displeasure for Kill playing Max and burning his redshirt. Seemed to be a bit of a opionated hot head.

The decision is unfortunate for both Max and Gophers. He did this without know where he was headed is pretty bold move. All the best to Max.

That confused me as well. I never quite understood where this opinion of Max's father came from. The guy was on TV during the Syracuse game (I think?) for all of 45 seconds, mentioned Max would have benefited from RS'ing, and all of the suddent he's blasting the coaching staff and people think he's a parent in the same mold of Kris Humphries' dad?

It'll be interesting to see where he ends up, how much playing time he gets and how well he plays. Here's hoping for the best.

I agree. Also by playing Shortell as a freshman, Shortell can use the redshirt year to transfer. Max started a lot of games as a freshman, it is not like he played 10 or 12 snaps at the end of the game. I suspect Mr. Shortell would be angrier if Max redshirted as a freshman and then fell behind Nelson so quickly.

I was watching and I thought that Mr. Shortell was referring to how hard it is to play as a true freshman.

I wish Max had really thought this out. His experience would be nice to have next year, people do get injured, and the more quality QBs the better.

I think it is as simple as Max wanting to be in a system that fits him better and gets I'm developed more to the pro game.

Max played poorly and got pulled.
Nelson played poorly and did not get pulled.
max left.

Will Leidner move to TE in the Spring

1. Nelson
2. Chris from ILL
3. Foreman

Makes sense to move him now. Looks like Kill bring in at least one QB per class. I heard Leidner was a good athlete and would be a solid TE as we lose Rabe this year and Drew G next year. Moses graduates also seems like we will be a little thin there. Plisek and Williams would be left only.

1. Nelson
2. Chris from ILL
3. Foreman

Makes sense to move him now. Looks like Kill bring in at least one QB per class. I heard Leidner was a good athlete and would be a solid TE as we lose Rabe this year and Drew G next year. Moses graduates also seems like we will be a little thin there. Plisek and Williams would be left only.

I don't see it happening, at least not this year. We're extremely thin at QB as it is. Also Goodger has two years left and most believe Anyanwu will be a TE. Add in that there's a descent chance we land Wozniak and I think we're in great shape at TE.

1. Nelson
2. Chris from ILL
3. Foreman

Do you anticipate that Coach Kill will stop recruiting the TE position for a few years? Leidner should stay at QB for at least the next year, if not longer.

Word is Leidner looked really good at QB during bowl practice, and we are thin at the QB position. Hopefully Nelson and Leidner hold down the fort at QB this year, and Streveler gets a redshirt year. Not only would this help Streveler, but it would also set-up a normal QB roster for us in 2014: Nelson-Jr., Leidner-Soph, Streveler - RFreshman

No inside info

I did not have any inside info when I said Max was going to transfer in September. It just seems/ed very obvious dad is/was very involved.

If you heard coach Kill all fall on the radio, I think Max was going to eventually be the third quarterback behind Nelson and Liedner.

Seems like very poor vision on the family's part to transfer without a destination. He did have a scholarship for a Big Ten education. He is not going to play in the NFL. If no one wanted him then staying a Gopher was his personal best course.

Listening to dad talk about Texas needing a quarterback is how Max is presently football homeless.

Would the Gophers be better with Max?
It would be safer, he's a known quantity but we got three quarterbacks coming in and are supposedly recruiting a fourth in Donovahn Jones. Right now, it sure would have been better for Max if he stayed. Missing spring football can't be a wise path to success.

Hopefully, it all somehow falls into place for Max. He seems like a good kid.

Do you anticipate that Coach Kill will stop recruiting the TE position for a few years? Leidner should stay at QB for at least the next year, if not longer.

As much as they use TEs and H-Backs in the offense, I've got to believe they will try to sign at least one per season.

1. Nelson
2. Chris from ILL
3. Foreman

I'd be flabbergasted if Foreman ever saw action at the QB position.

I'd be flabbergasted if Foreman ever saw action at the QB position.

It's funny because a couple buddies of mine went to one of the Spring practices and said he looked really good. Then come fall, he doesn't even make the 105 man roster. The only time he made the roster is when Gray went down and they didn't want to risk playing Leidner if Shortell and Nelson went down in a game. That tells me he's a long way from ever playing...

It's funny because a couple buddies of mine went to one of the Spring practices and said he looked really good. Then come fall, he doesn't even make the 105 man roster. The only time he made the roster is when Gray went down and they didn't want to risk playing Leidner if Shortell and Nelson went down in a game. That tells me he's a long way from ever playing...

Isn't he supposed to be a good athlete? Maybe see him come in once in awhile to run the ball?

Isn't he supposed to be a good athlete? Maybe see him come in once in awhile to run the ball?

Possible. I should have said I don't see him being in the picture for an every down QB.

It'll be interesting to see if they bring him in next year as a change of pace "Wildcat" guy. Or have him change positions. I hope they can get something out of him...

I thought Max was all set to go to Montana. When did that fall through?

I would have liked Max to come back, but I don't blame him for leaving. It's the nature of the QB position.

I wasn't in favor of burning Nelson's redshirt, but the moment it happened Nelson wasn't going to get pulled from game (barring an injury). You made a choice at that moment that Nelson was the QB of the future and it only made sense to not pull him. The big difference in our offense (between Nelson and Shortell), is that we can run the ball better with Nelson in the game.

Leidner won't be switching anytime soon. He might if Streivler and Conroy show up and are super impressive. But we seriously lack at QB depth right now, it would be beyond weird to see a position change for Leidner.

I would have liked Max to come back, but I don't blame him for leaving. It's the nature of the QB position.

I wasn't in favor of burning Nelson's redshirt, but the moment it happened Nelson wasn't going to get pulled from game (barring an injury). You made a choice at that moment that Nelson was the QB of the future and it only made sense to not pull him. The big difference in our offense (between Nelson and Shortell), is that we can run the ball better with Nelson in the game.

Leidner won't be switching anytime soon. He might if Streivler and Conroy show up and are super impressive. But we seriously lack at QB depth right now, it would be beyond weird to see a position change for Leidner.

+1. Good points Bob.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we win more B1G Ten Games with Nelson at QB as opposed to Shortell? Did Shortell win any B1G Ten games at QB? I don't recall any. (I'm not trying to take any shots at Max either.)

+1. Good points Bob.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we win more B1G Ten Games with Nelson at QB as opposed to Shortell? Did Shortell win any B1G Ten games at QB? I don't recall any. (I'm not trying to take any shots at Max either.)

Yeah, I don't think we won any Big 10 games with Shortell.

Shortell did beat WMU and Syracuse though, which are probably better football teams than Purdue and Illinois.

Even if he gets pushed to 4th on the depth chart, I don't see it happening this year. A few injuries and he's the backup or even in the game.

Top Bottom