Shooter: While Gophers open in a 50,805-seat stadium, Ohio State opens in a 104,944 stadium.

I hope he writes about the arena capacities next. I could look it up but that kind of news feels more important when it comes from a journalist.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doogie confirmed this but added both stadiums can be expanded.
Doogie would never go out on a limb like that, he always hedges.

"It wouldn't be a massive surprise if the Gophers were opening in a 50,805 seat stadium and Ohio State opens in a 104,944 seat stadium, and there are whispers that both can be expanded."

I totally admit this could be selective memory on my part and the only exposure I get to Shooter’s columns is what is linked or talked about here on Gopherhole.

That being said, I’m trying to recall any meaningful tidbit or insider GopherFootball nugget I have read from Shooter and I am coming up blank. As in, this shooter only shoots blanks. Honest question: has he ever written something about Gopher football that you didn’t already know? Any tidbits or speculation of his turn out to be true?
I mean there is the old saying that a blind squirrel finds a nut or something like that so I am sure he has stumbled into something at some point. I don't read his column but the times I have seen it I have been less than impressed. He is a knock of Sid who isn't even half as good at his job as Sid was.

I totally admit this could be selective memory on my part and the only exposure I get to Shooter’s columns is what is linked or talked about here on Gopherhole.

That being said, I’m trying to recall any meaningful tidbit or insider GopherFootball nugget I have read from Shooter and I am coming up blank. As in, this shooter only shoots blanks. Honest question: has he ever written something about Gopher football that you didn’t already know? Any tidbits or speculation of his turn out to be true?
I think about 20-25 years ago he had some decent scoops due to sources within the various organizations. But now that Charlie is 75 and semi-retired, I'm guessing all his various sources are long retired or moved on by now too.

The problem that the Pioneer Press has is that they need to keep guys like this around to satisfy what's left of their consumer base. My silent-gen dad and boomer uncle both still get the Pioneer Press and both have said the only reason they still get it is "to read the comics, editorials and Charlie Walters"

So the PP still pays Walters a little money to write on Sundays (I think that's his schedule now) and he just phones in puts up any random tidbit to fill space. But everytime I visit my dad for Sunday dinner, there's the Sunday sports section sitting on the table....

Maybe that a certain bowl's selection committee was in town to watch the Gophers play...like in October...to guage the product that might end up on their field.

Not much more after that for me...

Top Bottom