Shooter: The time frame now to name a permanent AD is mid-summer.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

The University of Minnesota will take proposals from national executive search firms to research and recommend a permanent Gophers athletics director.

There has been a significant amount of interest from Minnesota alumni, including former athletes, to be on a local search committee. President Eric Kaler is working with people to narrow that list to about a dozen. No names have been decided on yet.

The university is not expected to hire Atlanta-based Parker Executive Search, which it had used to find ex-AD Norwood Teague.

The time frame now to name a permanent AD is mid-summer.

Former Gophers football star Jim Carter from South St. Paul, concerned that his alma mater no longer is a distinctive brand, has been nominated for the vacant athletics director job by fellow “M” men.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/03/05/charley-walters-vikings-facing-big-decisions-this-week/

Go Gophers!!

e317d1281cd7dda6d7092cd2080005c1.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Will the new AD be in a firing mood?

You would think they'd want to expedite the process all things considered.

per Shooter:

The University of Minnesota will take proposals from national executive search firms to research and recommend a permanent Gophers athletics director.

There has been a significant amount of interest from Minnesota alumni, including former athletes, to be on a local search committee. President Eric Kaler is working with people to narrow that list to about a dozen. No names have been decided on yet.

The university is not expected to hire Atlanta-based Parker Executive Search, which it had used to find ex-AD Norwood Teague.

The time frame now to name a permanent AD is mid-summer.

Former Gophers football star Jim Carter from South St. Paul, concerned that his alma mater no longer is a distinctive brand, has been nominated for the vacant athletics director job by fellow “M” men.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/03/05/charley-walters-vikings-facing-big-decisions-this-week/

Go Gophers!!

You do that it's obviously gonna extend the process. Question is why do it? People are going to bitch about the choice regardless of who gets the job.

My thoughts exactly. Hiring a search firm and having a separate search committee is like a belt and suspenders.

My opinion - this is Kaler and the U trying to cover their butts, so if the next AD doesn't work out, Kaler can whine about how "we just followed the recommendation of the search firm and the search committee."

Kaler could appoint a local committee to go out and hire an AD, and they could do just as good a job as a (much more expensive) search firm - but then, Kaler's butt would be on the line if the new AD flopped.

Part of any executive's job is hiring and vetting personnel. If you're afraid to make a decision, get out of the boss's chair.

I'd be happier with a committee composed of interested individuals with ties to the school or state in some way, shape, or form although the politics will probably be explosive.

The U leadership seems to have analysis paralysis right now, afraid to make any sort of unilateral decisions even on how to go about the search or deciding on the entities involved. Maybe just my perception. After a series of hits, the fear of screwing up the next AD hire, or by extension the next basketball coach can have a cooling effect.

The committee and the search firm work hand in hand. The committee develops the job requirements, etc, gives them to the search firm, the search firm contacts who they think fits those requirements, gauges their interest, does background checks, forwards the finalists to the committee and then the committee interviews them and makes the decision. Every other school in the country does this and just because it didn't work in the case of hiring Teague doesn't mean it will fail again. No worthwhile candidate is going to accept a phone call from a committee. This is totally out of our hands as fans and we just have to hope they get it right. Also, there are lots of HR rules one has to consider. Especially nowadays when people sue like crazy if they get the sense they weren't given an equal shot at the job. If Kaler has a candidate in mind and that candidate has agreed to take the job and it's the perfect hire someone might just sue because they didn't get an equal shot at interviewing. That's just how it is. It's fair to be critical, but I think some of the generalizations are just wrongheaded.

The committee and the search firm work hand in hand. The committee develops the job requirements, etc, gives them to the search firm, the search firm contacts who they think fits those requirements, gauges their interest, does background checks, forwards the finalists to the committee and then the committee interviews them and makes the decision. Every other school in the country does this and just because it didn't work in the case of hiring Teague doesn't mean it will fail again. No worthwhile candidate is going to accept a phone call from a committee. This is totally out of our hands as fans and we just have to hope they get it right. Also, there are lots of HR rules one has to consider. Especially nowadays when people sue like crazy if they get the sense they weren't given an equal shot at the job. If Kaler has a candidate in mind and that candidate has agreed to take the job and it's the perfect hire someone might just sue because they didn't get an equal shot at interviewing. That's just how it is. It's fair to be critical, but I think some of the generalizations are just wrongheaded.

Or the committee presents their finalist(s) to the Prez.

Amazing how few people understand this.

Like someone said to me awhile back. The search firm will cost less than one-tenth of one percent of the Athletic Dept's annual budget.....and to hire the most important person in the dept. Doesn't really sound like a waste does it?

My thoughts exactly. Hiring a search firm and having a separate search committee is like a belt and suspenders.

My opinion - this is Kaler and the U trying to cover their butts, so if the next AD doesn't work out, Kaler can whine about how "we just followed the recommendation of the search firm and the search committee."

Kaler could appoint a local committee to go out and hire an AD, and they could do just as good a job as a (much more expensive) search firm - but then, Kaler's butt would be on the line if the new AD flopped.

Part of any executive's job is hiring and vetting personnel. If you're afraid to make a decision, get out of the boss's chair.

Totally agree and if Kaler doesn't realize this one falls on him regardless he's naive. Might as well have more input on the process because the next AD hire after this will likely coincide with the next hire of a President.

I agree a screw up on this is a big problem. If I were Kaler, I would be involved in the elimination process.

In order:
No
No
Yes

Or the committee presents their finalist(s) to the Prez.

Amazing how few people understand this.

Like someone said to me awhile back. The search firm will cost less than one-tenth of one percent of the Athletic Dept's annual budget.....and to hire the most important person in the dept. Doesn't really sound like a waste does it?

I think everyone understands it. I think we care because we want them to get it right and spend more than literally less than an hour on interviews (read the account DPO posted awhile back. It's hard to believe). Middlemen around the country agree with your last sentence. This is tried and true sales-talk. We can get an AD for only a cup of coffee a day! (and no work involved - it's THAT easy!)

Gee, everybody uses a search firm, so I guess we have to use a search firm too.

If all the other kids wanted to ride their bikes off a bridge, I suppose you'd want to ride your bike off a bridge too.

Gee, everybody uses a search firm, so I guess we have to use a search firm too.

If all the other kids wanted to ride their bikes off a bridge, I suppose you'd want to ride your bike off a bridge too.

If you want to interview someone who is currently employed as an AD somewhere you do. Michigan and Illinois started their searches for a new AD without using a search firm and then changed their minds after finding their initial attempts at hiring someone did not go well. The investigation found that the search firm wasn't the problem the last time around. They recommended involving more people in search process and making the candidates sign an agreement to disclose any NCAA issues, etc in their past. If you want to be narrow-minded fine.

If you want to interview someone who is currently employed as an AD somewhere you do. Michigan and Illinois started their searches for a new AD without using a search firm and then changed their minds after finding their initial attempts at hiring someone did not go well. The investigation found that the search firm wasn't the problem the last time around. They recommended involving more people in search process and making the candidates sign an agreement to disclose any NCAA issues, etc in their past. If you want to be narrow-minded fine.

And Michigan ended up taking 15 months.

Top Bottom