Shooter Now: Bud Grant chose Gophers over Badgers' car, cash

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

At a Dunkers breakfast Thursday at the Minneapolis Club, guest speaker Bud Grant, who is from Superior, Wis., said the Badgers offered him a car and $100 a month -- besides a scholarship -- if he would remain in his home state for college. But, Grant said, he chose Minnesota, which didn't offer him anything extra.

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/c...rce=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

I had the chance to read his new biography, and found it very interesting. Particularly his time at the U.

A lot of Gopher fans have ragged him because he never appears to be as outwardly supportive of the program
as one might think he should be, but when you read the book you get an idea as to why.

In a nutshell, because he was from out of state, he was treated a bit less in terms of priority on a number
of things that benefited in-state players at the U. After going through that for four years, its easy to
understand why the U, and his time there, are not exactly warm, fuzzy memories for him. I got the impression
that he was happy to get out of there.

Just my thoughts.....

...its easy to understand why the U, and his time there, are not exactly warm, fuzzy memories for him.

Before kickoff at the opening of the new stadium vs. Air Force, they brought a few former greats on the field. When Bud was announced, he had to wipe a tear away. Never thought I would see him show emotion. He might have a little more love for The "U" than you thought.

Before kickoff at the opening of the new stadium vs. Air Force, they brought a few former greats on the field. When Bud was announced, he had to wipe a tear away. Never thought I would see him show emotion. He might have a little more love for The "U" than you thought.

I remember that pretty well as well. Bud was having a really hard time keeping his emotions back, definitely had some tears there.

It was the wind...he had dust in his eyes.

Bud could be an emotional guy in his old age. I think there may have been a lot repressed over the years, kind of
like when you think you've been dissed by people you care about, and then suddenly they show the love.

But I don't know for sure

I know Paul Giel went to Grant several times trying to get involved with U athletics and he turned him
down. Former AD Rick Bay also approached him and was shut out. I'll stand corrected, but he has never made any monetary contribution to the U. The old trapper can squeeze the buffalo of a nickel.
This Bud is not for U.....

Top Bottom