Shooter: Mohamed Ibrahim because he runs so hard is considered a late-round NFL draft pick in 2022.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

Gophers 5-10, 210-pound junior running back Mohamed Ibrahim, who rushed for 108 yards and two TDs in Saturday’s 24-17 victory at Nebraska, because he runs so hard is considered a late-round NFL draft pick in 2022.

Go Gophers!!

If Ibrahim doesn't get seriously hurt, he will be a draft pick next year. If it wasn't for the COVID year, I would be questioning if he isn't ready to enter the draft after this year. With each NFL team playing 2-3 RBs now, he can be an asset.

I think he's better than Rodney Smith, who is getting meaningful reps with the Panthers as a rookie.
Mo is definitely a more productive college back but Rodney fits more what you want out of a third down back in the NFL, more dynamic in the open field with better burst, better at making you miss and a better pass catcher.

I thought that Mo's TD run illustrated why it will be hard for him to get a look in the NFL. He looked awfully slow and didn't have much of a burst at all. A legit NFL RB prospect scores faster without letting the DB catch up to him.

Mo is one of those guys who really is hard to predict. If you would have told me that a small powerback would be successful in the Big 10, I would have said no.

I think Mo gets a shot in the NFL. The guy does a lot of things right (team player, makes proper cuts, runs hard, blocks). He isn't fast, but he is pretty quick the first 10 yards.

Mo is definitely a more productive college back but Rodney fits more what you want out of a third down back in the NFL, more dynamic in the open field with better burst, better at making you miss and a better pass catcher.

I thought that Mo's TD run illustrated why it will be hard for him to get a look in the NFL. He looked awfully slow and didn't have much of a burst at all. A legit NFL RB prospect scores faster without letting the DB catch up to him.
The Safety #9 for Nebraska had a good angle but couldn't quite catch him or even trip him up from behind. Ibrahim doesn't have Bo Jackson speed but after breaking a couple arm tackles at the line of scrimmage on that play he showed a ton of burst to score the 20 yard TD.

I think he is a success NFL back and am surprised there are other takes here... he has great balance, great vision, is a great pass blocker and reliable receiver... Emmitt Smith didn’t have great home run speed, Derrick Henry doesn’t... I mean honestly Emmitt’s skill set approximates Mo’s as good as any NFL back I can think of. He had great lines and tons of talent around him, plus health... not saying that means Mo is going to be that level of pro... but I certainly think he’s at least in line for a Maroney/MBIII type of career??

I love Mo but will be pretty surprised if he makes the league
really? I think he's a lock. Just hoping he stays for one more year.

but absolutely, he will make get an NFL paycheck IMO. And not just as some roster invite, or PS guy. He will play games in the NFL.

Our line pass blocked very efficiently today. When Mo carried the ball he gained yards and has all year. When Wiley or Potts carry the ball it's a loss, no gain or plus two yards all year. Yes, Wiley delivered a crucial run for 60 yards or whatever...it's one of very few in his career and he was untouched and made nobody miss until he was tackled from behind. My point: Mo has to have an ability far greater than any other back we have because his production is amazing versus our other backs who generate nothing with the same opportunity.
Alexander Mattison for the Vikings is different but similar to Mo, maybe.
Right opportunity he could be Barber or Emmitt like...I see that.
He is surprising, he finds a way.
I wouldn't count him out.
And Rodney Smith has more ability than was utilized his last years as a Gopher. Maybe he wasn't healthy often enough. But earlier in his career he was amazing catching passes and making people miss out of the backfield...didn't happen last two years. Also, he was used differently carrying the ball and wasn't as effective as earlier either. NFL evidently saw that with Rodney.

I think Mo could probably be a Leroy Hoard in the NFL. Need 3 yards? He'll get you three. Need 10? He'll get you 3! Here are Leroy's career stats:

Career G 144 AV 51 Rush 1008 Yds 3964 Y/A 3.9 TD 36

really? I think he's a lock. Just hoping he stays for one more year.

but absolutely, he will make get an NFL paycheck IMO. And not just as some roster invite, or PS guy. He will play games in the NFL.
I sincerely hope I am wrong, but am worried he will not run well at all and it’ll put him in camp invite territory. He’s going to be mixed in with a lot of guys in the mid-late rounds and maybe someone will fall in love.

I think Mo could probably be a Leroy Hoard in the NFL. Need 3 yards? He'll get you three. Need 10? He'll get you 3! Here are Leroy's career stats:

Career G 144 AV 51 Rush 1008 Yds 3964 Y/A 3.9 TD 36

That's a great line - was that his coach who uttered that?

All I know is, I wouldn't bet against him - guys like him thrive on being overlooked.

Like CJ, I think Mo as a blocking/short yardage back is his path to an NFL career

The NFL will always need guys who can get TD's when they are on the 2 yard line.
Mo does that very well.

Mo will be a 4-5th round pick (2022 draft) and whoever drafts him will be very happy they did.

That's a great line - was that his coach who uttered that?

All I know is, I wouldn't bet against him - guys like him thrive on being overlooked.
I believe he said it to Denny Green. If you need one yard, I'll get you three. If you need five yards --- I'll get you three.

I think he is a success NFL back and am surprised there are other takes here... he has great balance, great vision, is a great pass blocker and reliable receiver... Emmitt Smith didn’t have great home run speed, Derrick Henry doesn’t... I mean honestly Emmitt’s skill set approximates Mo’s as good as any NFL back I can think of. He had great lines and tons of talent around him, plus health... not saying that means Mo is going to be that level of pro... but I certainly think he’s at least in line for a Maroney/MBIII type of career??
This is kind of a false line of thinking. Speed increases at each level. If an RB has 'average' speed for a high school player he will be slow in college. A 4.6 guy is really fast in college but average to below average in the pros. For example Bateman showed great burst from the moment he arrived on campus but all his draft evals state that he's not a burner in the pros.
Mo has below average speed for a Big Ten RB. That means he'll be dirt slow for an NFL RB. He has other great qualities including good acceleration but the argument that 'Emmit Smith didn't have breakaway speed' ignores that he still had adequate speed for an NFL RB. Mo simply doesn't. I could still see him making a roster or something because RBs get hurt and he's a guy that could, in a pinch come in and grind out some yards for a team in the box, but I think his physical traits will keep him from ever being a main back or a 3rd down type.

The Safety #9 for Nebraska had a good angle but couldn't quite catch him or even trip him up from behind. Ibrahim doesn't have Bo Jackson speed but after breaking a couple arm tackles at the line of scrimmage on that play he showed a ton of burst to score the 20 yard TD.
Most NFL RB prospects would have had a little more separation on that play.

What? Derrick Henry is usually the fastest guy on the field in a 50-100 yard dash at the NFL level. He routinely outruns safeties and corners and gains separation on them.

What? Derrick Henry is usually the fastest guy on the field in a 50-100 yard dash at the NFL level. He routinely outruns safeties and corners and gains separation on them.
he's also 6'3" and ~250 pounds to Mo's 5'10" and ~210. Though I would disagree that he's the fastest guy on the field. He did run something like a 4.5 at the combine

Did he mean to say 21?

Whatever Mo is worth to the NFL, I don't see how another year at Minnesota is going to make him more valuable. He's ready to do whatever it is he can do in the league, next year.

Another year in the Big Ten is only liable to risk additional injury.

Mo plays so hard, blocks really well, and he finds a way to get yards where the other young backs struggled in the 2nd and 3rd quarter today.
I also liked how he congratulated his teammates as the game closed (the OL) plus reached out to Nebraska players as well.

James Robinson the rb for Jacksonville might be a decent comp.
Yes, that's actually an excellent comp. Guy who won't wow you until you get to camp and figure out he's got the best vision, pass blocking, short yardage skills, and pass catching ability of any back on your roster. Then boom, unexpectedly he's your starter. I could definitely see that.

Mo is on track to play in the league for certain. I can only hope he sticks around another year or two.

Top Bottom