Shooter: Look for Kaler to decide Maturi's fate before Jan.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

"Look for new University of Minnesota President Eric Kaler to decide on the future of athletics director Joel Maturi before January. Maturi, who turns 67 in February, has a contract that expires June 30."

http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_19289460

Go Gophers!!

Who wants to take bets? I will put $ on the fact that Maturi is not extended....or maybe he'll be extended and then fired shortly after, just to give him a taste of his own medicine? ;)

Can there be any doubt that this decision has already been made? He is headed for the sunset, my friends. An extension would be an upset of colossal proportions.

Kaler can not overlook the lack of success from the big three sports during Maturi's tenure. JM did have other successes but my read is that Kaler understands the positive impact and financial gain of having successful football and basketball programs and hockey to a lesser degree, all with sold out stadiums.

I see no benefit of Kaler extending Maturi considering his age. Why extend someone who has publically stated that he doesn't like his job and could take it or leave it???

New AD leadership is a must if we are going to become competive.

I would be shocked if he comes back. Why would he even want to at this point? What exactly does he think he could accomplish by coming back? I think the Scoggins column on Maturi from a while back was fantastic -- both the positives and the negatives.

Can there be any doubt that this decision has already been made? He is headed for the sunset, my friends. An extension would be an upset of colossal proportions.

This would be my guess.

Top Bottom