Shooter: Look for Gophers men’s basketball to redshirt two of their incoming high school signees.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Shooter:

Look for Gophers men’s basketball to redshirt two of their incoming high school signees. Who they will be will be determined in summer workouts.

Go Gophers!!

Per Shooter:

Look for Gophers men’s basketball to redshirt two of their incoming high school signees. Who they will be will be determined in summer workouts.

Go Gophers!!
I predict that doesn't happen. We could start an argument if it is a good idea or not but if the players do not want to redshirt...they won't. I doubt they were recruited with the pitch..."Hey, we'll redshirt you your first year and..."
It would allow Ben to play 7 guys versus 9 or 10. If there is any truth to this idea...why wouldn't Thiam and Thompson have redshirted to start the year last year and why wouldn't Thompson be one of the best candidates to do so this year as well?
I will be surprised if two people redshirt. So far we barely have 10 guys to scrimmage. Seems like a bad rumor.

Unless there’s an injury, I don’t see it. Maybe for a big like Thompson if last years team had more front court depth. While I believe certain players would benefit from a redshirt most kids aren’t patient enough nowadays.

When has Shooter been right about anything?

The phrasing is odd. Players have a say as to whether they are going to redshirt. They’d be let out of their signing/transfer if a coach “determined” that they were going to be redshirted, especially if it was to fill a quota.

In 2022 it is almost impossible (WI is the only real place I can think of) to redshirt a kid. Between them wanting time and the portal, the odds a kid sticks around for 5 years is almost 0. Not saying a kid or 2 wouldn't benefit from it, but it's just not a thing.

In 2022 it is almost impossible (WI is the only real place I can think of) to redshirt a kid. Between them wanting time and the portal, the odds a kid sticks around for 5 years is almost 0. Not saying a kid or 2 wouldn't benefit from it, but it's just not a thing.
Plus, If a guy is marginal...why do you want him tying up a scholarship for 5 FIVE years? My gosh, if your ability to recruit the portal is that bad we're in trouble. This goes in concert with helping guys like Thiam finding new homes so you can recruit someone who can immediately help. Guys get hurt or something happens to them at MN....it's historical....you can't pick your favorite 7 guys and wake up the other six for emergencies....they won't be prepared to help.

Top Bottom