Shooter: Gophers football program still hasn’t figured out Minnesota’s colors are maroon and gold, not the black uniforms the team wore against EMU

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Shooter:

—The Gophers football program still hasn’t figured out that Minnesota’s colors are maroon and gold, not the black uniforms the team wore against Eastern Michigan.

Go Gophers!!

I've said this before. I think uniforms that are don't feature the school colors are stupid. I care exactly enough to spend 10 seconds posting on a message board or making a snarky comment to whoever I am at the game with. I do not care enough to let it room my gameday or give it another thought once I've said my peace.

One addition to this comment is, I have a coworker from a different country who has not followed much American football, but caught part of the EMU game at a bar. The next time he saw me, he asked "can I ask you a question? Minnesota's colors are burgundy and yellow [I didn't bother to tell him its maroon and gold], and that's what I saw in the stands. Why was the team wearing black?" The only response I could muster is "I don't know, but you're preaching to the choir."

I've said this before. I think uniforms that are don't feature the school colors are stupid. I care exactly enough to spend 10 seconds posting on a message board or making a snarky comment to whoever I am at the game with. I do not care enough to let it room my gameday or give it another thought once I've said my peace.

One addition to this comment is, I have a coworker from a different country who has not followed much American football, but caught part of the EMU game at a bar. The next time he saw me, he asked "can I ask you a question? Minnesota's colors are burgundy and yellow [I didn't bother to tell him its maroon and gold], and that's what I saw in the stands. Why was the team wearing black?" The only response I could muster is "I don't know, but you're preaching to the choir."
Well the traditional "gold" would be considered yellow to literally anyone who didn't grow up with a team with a maroon and "gold" color scheme. Gold is to most, a metallic color.

Put me in the category of wanting us to wear maroon and gold all the time....but it seems more and more teams in other leagues wear random colors at times too. Twolves have a chartreuse jersey and many English Premier League soccer teams have alternate jerseys that don't match team colors at all.

tried to do a little research-

if I'm correct - in the last 74 games played by the Gophers under Fleck -

they have worn Gold Jerseys 4 times and Gold Pants 15 times. there was one game where they went Gold Jersey- Gold Pants.

so 18 out of 74 games with either Gold Jerseys or Pants. that's 24%. (none this year to date)

for a team that is nicknamed the "Golden Gophers."

Well the traditional "gold" would be considered yellow to literally anyone who didn't grow up with a team with a maroon and "gold" color scheme. Gold is to most, a metallic color.
Our traditional gold is not yellow, not even close. It’s much deeper and darker. Just compare it to Michigan’s Maize which is yellow. Huge difference.

Our traditional gold is not yellow, not even close. It’s much deeper and darker. Just compare it to Michigan’s Maize which is yellow. Huge difference.
The metallic gold, especially on the helmet looks garish -- like a gold-capped incisor. I agree, a toned down gold would be much classier.

I want the Anthracite pants and jersey back.

1695043658693.png

Last edited:

It's still a shade of yellow.

Charlie doesn't understand that "Uniform Watch" is a weekly feature here at Gopherhole. He needs to get with the program.

I am so over the uniform discussion. For the last 10-15 years in all levels of football from HS - NFL uniforms are not very consistent. Black is now part of almost every school's color scheme.

Do I hate the black uniforms? No
Do I love the black uniforms? No
Do I understand that once, maybe twice a year they are going to wear black? Yes
Do I let it affect my day? No

It's still a shade of yellow.

Or is yellow a shade of gold????

@beatles according to whom??? Who is the authority of how "light" it has to before it transitions from "Gold" to "Yellow"??

Kinda guessing you just made up an arbitrary threshold.

I want the Anthracite pants and jersey back.

View attachment 27074
gag.gif

Your response should have been "The players like them"
I'm with you on we should feature maroon and gold. Didn't care for the all black we wore vs. Eastern Mich. Would have been slightly better had they used maroon numbers with gold trim.

Top Bottom