Shooter: Former Gopher Chris Engler diagnosed with ALS

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

One of the nicest guys you’ll ever meet, Chris Engler, 62, the 6-11 former Stillwater High, Gopher, Wyoming and NBA center who lives in Lake Elmo, has been diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease.

General life expectancy with ALS is two to five years, Engler said, “but it just varies so much from person to person. (Famous physicist) Stephen Hawking had it for 50 years. It just depends on how it’s moving — if it starts out slow, and it seems like this has — it tends to stay that way, they think. We’re hoping for that.”

ALS.org accepts donations for research. Engler’s spirits are good.

“Are the Vikings going to be any good?” he asked with a laugh. “I asked the neurologist, ‘Can you get me at least enough time so I can see the Vikings win a Super Bowl?

Go Gophers!!

per Shooter:

One of the nicest guys you’ll ever meet, Chris Engler, 62, the 6-11 former Stillwater High, Gopher, Wyoming and NBA center who lives in Lake Elmo, has been diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease.

General life expectancy with ALS is two to five years, Engler said, “but it just varies so much from person to person. (Famous physicist) Stephen Hawking had it for 50 years. It just depends on how it’s moving — if it starts out slow, and it seems like this has — it tends to stay that way, they think. We’re hoping for that.”

ALS.org accepts donations for research. Engler’s spirits are good.

“Are the Vikings going to be any good?” he asked with a laugh. “I asked the neurologist, ‘Can you get me at least enough time so I can see the Vikings win a Super Bowl?

Go Gophers!!
He is one of the nicest guys you will meet.

Dang, so many of these diseases that nobody or no family should have to endure.
Maybe there will be a miracle break through and someone discovers a cure because his wish seems even more unlikely 🤔

My mother's former boss has being fighting ALS for over 10 years now. Best wishes to Engler.

Prayers for Chris!

He had a great Senior year at Wyoming. If I remember correctly, even a brief time in the NBA.

Last edited:

Awesome guy, was lucky enough to have him as a teacher at Stillwater. Wish him all the best!

Had a buddy die from ALS in less than a year after diagnosis. Sad that it took him out so fast. But, his faith grew enormously over that time. He left a lasting impression on the folks who knew him.

Shooter chimes in again:

California NBA super agent Bill Duffy, a former Gophers basketball teammate of Chris Engler, spent a couple hours at Engler’s Lake Elmo home the other day wishing well for Engler, 62, recently diagnosed with Lou Gehrig’s disease (ALS).

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom