Shooter: Bill Davis, who starred for the Gophers in basketball and baseball and was living in Edina, died Saturday from cancer.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Shooter:

Bill Davis, who starred for the Gophers in basketball and baseball
and was living in Edina, died Saturday from cancer.

Go Gophers!!

Richfield grad, the leader of the team that lost to Edgerton in OT in the 1960 state tournament.

That Edgerton team is often looked back upon as our version of the Hickory Huskers from Hoosiers -- and they are a great story, no doubt. But we had many small schools win state basketball championships in the one-class days. Edgerton may be the smallest, but we also had:

1970 - Sherburn (that last year with one class)
1964 - Luverne
1963 - Marshall
1960 - Edgerton
1951 - Gilbert
1942 - Buhl (Buhl?)
1941 - Buhl
1940 - Breckenridge
1939 - Mountain Lake
1926 - Gaylord
1924 - Two Harbors
1923 - Aurora
1916 - Virginia
1913 - Fosston (first state tournament)

A lot of other small schools in there that I left out, too, and many others that were runners-up. I wonder how often a smaller school would win a state basketball championship today.

Richfield grad, the leader of the team that lost to Edgerton in OT in the 1960 state tournament.

That Edgerton team is often looked back upon as our version of the Hickory Huskers from Hoosiers -- and they are a great story, no doubt. But we had many small schools win state basketball championships in the one-class days. Edgerton may be the smallest, but we also had:

1970 - Sherburn (that last year with one class)
1964 - Luverne
1963 - Marshall
1960 - Edgerton
1951 - Gilbert
1942 - Buhl (Buhl?)
1941 - Buhl
1940 - Breckenridge
1939 - Mountain Lake
1926 - Gaylord
1924 - Two Harbors
1923 - Aurora
1916 - Virginia
1913 - Fosston (first state tournament)

A lot of other small schools in there that I left out, too, and many others that were runners-up. I wonder how often a smaller school would win a state basketball championship today.
School sizes and sports culture have changed drastically.

Bill Davis, Mel Northway, Lou Hudson, Archie Clark, Terry Kunze. The first Gopher team I saw in person as a young boy.

Davis (1B) & Clark (CF) both starred on Dick Seibert's national champion baseball squad.

Top Bottom