Shooter: Arne Carlson advocates for a Minnesotan to be new AD

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

Still a big Gophers booster, former Gov. Arne Carlson, who did post-graduate work at the University of Minnesota, was asked Saturday about the athletics department’s search for a permanent athletics director.

“You’ve got a problem that goes well beyond the athletic department — the whole management over there,” said Carlson, who was governor from 1991-99.

“But to simply focus on the athletic department, I’d really like to see them focus on a Minnesotan. I mean, it’s almost like there’s a sign that hangs up in (administration building) Morrill Hall that basically says ‘Minnesotans need not apply.’ And that is disturbing. I mean that.

“My wife and I were talking this morning about how we’d love to have (former Gopher) Lindsay Whalen (of the Lynx) come back and coach. I’m so glad that (ex-Gopher) Paul Molitor is managing the Twins. There’s a lot of competence here — (Gophers baseball coach) John Anderson would be a wonderful athletic director.”

More important, Carlson said, “You’ve got to rebuild the trust to Minnesota. It takes years for somebody to come in from outside — who may well be competent — to go through the process of evaluation and assessment, and then to figure out how do we identify with Minnesotans.

“I think there are a lot of people like me who are frustrated that we keep going outside of Minnesota when in fact we should look in here. I mean, we wouldn’t have had any of these problems if John Anderson were the athletic director. I think the world of him. To take a northern state like Minnesota and year in and year out build competitive baseball, but also with a bag load of integrity and a lot of respect throughout the whole Minnesota system.

“I think (ex-Gophers men’s tennis coach) Jerry Noyce would have been a wonderful selection — I don’t know if he’s still available, or interested. But that kind of a person. There are so many good people that I see no reason for us to go on a national search.”

Carlson and his wife, by the way, live in Plymouth but in May will move into a condo in downtown Minneapolis.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/03/12/charley-walters-vikings-keep-matt-kalil-but-hes-no-joe-thomas/

Go Gophers!!

Bud Grant chimes in:

Speaking to a crowd of more than 400 on Friday in Naples, Fla., Bud Grant expressed befuddlement as to why his alma mater hasn’t named a permanent athletics director.

The Pro Football Hall of Fame former Vikings coach, who turns 89 in May, spoke before a record Minnesota Club breakfast gathering.

Grant said the university doesn’t need a committee to name an A.D., it needs leadership. He said that shouldn’t be complicated. Grant also said the men’s basketball program is a disaster and the football program hasn’t been able to get the talent it should. Grant, who played football and basketball at Minnesota, added that recently retired football coach Jerry Kill had a good run, but he just ran out of gas.

Grant added that Minnesota should have a national athletics booster club, and suggested former Gophers lineman Mike Wright, who was in the audience, should head that committee.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/03/12/charley-walters-vikings-keep-matt-kalil-but-hes-no-joe-thomas/

Go Gophers!!

Bud Grant chimes in:

Speaking to a crowd of more than 400 on Friday in Naples, Fla., Bud Grant expressed befuddlement as to why his alma mater hasn’t named a permanent athletics director.

The Pro Football Hall of Fame former Vikings coach, who turns 89 in May, spoke before a record Minnesota Club breakfast gathering.

Grant said the university doesn’t need a committee to name an A.D., it needs leadership. He said that shouldn’t be complicated. Grant also said the men’s basketball program is a disaster and the football program hasn’t been able to get the talent it should. Grant, who played football and basketball at Minnesota, added that recently retired football coach Jerry Kill had a good run, but he just ran out of gas.

Grant added that Minnesota should have a national athletics booster club, and suggested former Gophers lineman Mike Wright, who was in the audience, should head that committee.

Go Gophers!!

Wonder how much Bud has given to the facilities fund drive?

Bud Grant chimes in:

Go Gophers!!

And boom goes the dynamite.

Being Bud was in Naples, I suppose no coat was required. I'm glad he made enough money at his garage sale to enjoy some time in Florida.

Former Gopher Ray Hitchcock chimes in:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Bud Grant? Yawn. I'm more interested in what Oprah thinks.

And boom goes the dynamite.

Grant comes from a time when leaders made decisions and took responsibility for good and bad outcomes, rather than polling numerous committees and attempting to satisfy all the competing special interests while attempting to avoid offending the perenially offended all the while insulating ones self behind layers of bureaucracy. He'd never make it today.

Grant comes from a time when leaders made decisions and took responsibility for good and bad outcomes, rather than polling numerous committees and attempting to satisfy all the competing special interests while attempting to avoid offending the perenially offended all the while insulating ones self behind layers of bureaucracy. He'd never make it today.

That could still be done if the U had a strong leader/prez. Kaler has been more pro-athletics than most of the past Presidents...which is great. Having said that; I don't have much faith in him as a leader. Too much trying to appease all the special interests as you say.

I've heard in the past that some of the Regents aren't real happy with him. Has anyone else heard anything like that?

Right. As if we dont have enough Minnesota people running our programs into the ground.

Go Gophers!!

May want to interview a few people first before we anointed Peter. Peter may be the guy but hope we look at some individuals with experience and a history as an AD.

Go Gophers!!

Seeing Hitchcock was instrumental in getting Gutey hired, my guess is his suggestion will hit the Biz bag.

You're probably he right. He and Vince Lombardi would probably be playing cribbage in an ice house somewhere. Bud Grant also comes from an era when athletes didn't have to go to class, Bud being case in point.

SPPS Superintendent Silva will be looking for a job soon and has self proclaimed leadership skills and is local, kinda.

May want to interview a few people first before we anointed Peter. Peter may be the guy but hope we look at some individuals with experience and a history as an AD.

Any AD with a record of accomplishment is going to want to work at a school with a record of accomplishment. That is not likely to be the U. It will be a gamble whomever the U decides to hire. Many of us are willing to roll the dice on Najarian.

You're probably he right. He and Vince Lombardi would probably be playing cribbage in an ice house somewhere. Bud Grant also comes from an era when athletes didn't have to go to class, Bud being case in point.

Vikings love and Bud Grant hatred - it exists nowhere else like it does in GopherHole.

If we are going to ask former governors, who does Jesse Ventura think we should have?

I find it hard to believe that John Anderson would have magically made the revenue programs successful. In fact, I would bet more resources would have gone away from revenue toward non-revenue (he was very critical of Teague over the amount of resources being directed toward revenue sports).

I like how Arne complains that there's no Minnesotans, but yet Kaler graduated from the U. Apparently that doesn't mean anything.

I have no issue with a Minnesotan being picked, but they shouldn't get picked just because they are from here. And I'll go back to the statement I've made several times - everyone says our athletic department is a disaster (I don't buy it, personally). If that's the case, why would we want anyone who has been involved to be hired? Yes, they might have ideas what not to do, but they don't know what they should do. The latter is the more important part. Anyone can stand on the sidelines and say you shouldn't do X. But finding someone that can look and say we should do Y (and be right) is much tougher.

I don't disagree with Grant that the U could do a better job aligning boosters nationally.

how we’d love to have (former Gopher) Lindsay Whalen (of the Lynx) come back and coach

Oh yeah, no coaching experience.... these are great foundations for decisions... let's get all xenophobic!

Or...
The very capable Kenny Jay!
Not to mention:
George Scrap Iron Gadaski!

Well, Greg Gagne attended the U (I don't know if he graduated though). Same for Larry "The Axe" Hennig. I am guessing that if we hired Hennig, we would own the Badgers in football. "The Axe" would insist on winning The Axe.

How about bud grant? He can do it all... I hear....

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

How about bud grant? He can do it all... I hear....

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

He's so tough he doesn't wear a jacket or hat. Very inspiring. It would motivate our teams for every game.

Top Bottom