Shooter: Although Brian Dutcher is loyal to SDSU, the Gophers would be expected to consider him coaching change, which seems likely, after this year

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Shooter:

Don’t print that​

— Although Brian Dutcher is loyal to San Diego State, the Gophers would be expected to consider the Bloomington Jefferson and Minnesota grad if there’s a men’s basketball coaching change, which seems likely, after the coming season.

Dutcher, son of former Gophers coach Jim Dutcher, is signed through 2025-26, when his salary would be $1.53 million, highest in the Mountain West.

The Gophers, for a third straight season, are picked to finish last in the 14-team Big Ten. Coach Ben Johnson is to begin his third year of a contract that runs through 2027 and is worth $1.95 million annually.

Dutcher, who was initially contacted by Gophers athletics director Mark Coyle before Johnson was hired in 2021 and last season led San Diego State to the NCAA Tournament’s championship game, is to make $1.41 million this season. But if the Aztecs move from the Mountain West Conference to the Pac-12, as rumored, Dutcher’s annual salary would be expected to increase by at least $500,000.

Go Gophers!!

Charlie Walters is always speculating off the top of his head. “ Don’t be surprised if….”

I think the Dutcher ship may have sailed. He is 63 years old - he just went to the Final Four with SDSU, and from all accounts, he and his family enjoy the San Diego climate and lifestyle.

as far as the conference issue - SDSU ain't heading to the Pac-12 for at least a couple of years after the recent fiasco, if at all.

What a completely stupid take.
Trend line is pointing downwards and the Optimism line is pointing downwards, so this must be a perfectly logical response. :ugh:

There's always the year after the next one. 😆

Bob Huggins is available......why not?!?!?!

Having a coach squeak out just enough wins to last 1 extra season has never burned us before.
The good news is, if we squeak out two extra wins this year we will still be bad enough to fire the coach.

The bad news is, if we squeak out two extra wins this year we will still be bad enough to fire the coach.

A couple of things to respond to in this thread.

1. A pessimist is never disappointed.
2. The odds of going .500 on the year, considering the p*ssy scheduling of the worst teams from the worst low major conferences, are relatively high. All they'll have to do is go 6-14 in conference to do it. It's a p*ssy p*ssy p*ssy way to get to .500.

A couple of things to respond to in this thread.

1. A pessimist is never disappointed.
A realist about a bad team isn’t a pessimist
2. The odds of going .500 on the year, considering the p*ssy scheduling of the worst teams from the worst low major conferences, are relatively high. All they'll have to do is go 6-14 in conference to do it. It's a p*ssy p*ssy p*ssy way to get to .500.
6-14 would mean more wins in the next 20 than the last 40 combined

One side is waiting for a misstep to fire with cause while the other side is playing possum. Fascinating times.

The Gophers should have signed Dutcher 2-3 coaching searches ago, if they could. They didn't.

I think the basketball team is getting better talent-wise and I think the team will improve this year. As long as the team is getting better, I think we should stay the course and try to build around what we have.

If this season looks like another disaster though, Dutcher would be the first guy I would call. I know he is older, but he could get the program back on the right foot, he has connections and still might be interested in coaching here.

A realist about a bad team isn’t a pessimist

6-14 would mean more wins in the next 20 than the last 40 combined
"Realist" is in the eye of the beholder, to some extent.

And, yes, I understand Johnson hasn't won 6 B1G games yet. I used that number because with the ridiculously soft noncon, that record can get to .500.

Morale is down here in Gopher purgatory. The afflicted souls demand a change in leadership. Little do they know that a change in leadership will find them complaining just as much as they did 3 coaches ago. It is in their nature.

The interesting part is those with a little hope for next season have already made it out.

Top Bottom