Shooter: A little birdie says U still owes $44 million for its $166 million Athletes Village.

fRhdPpv.gif
I have no idea what your stance is. You aren’t being forthcoming with it, for some reason.

Why does such a necessary, important facility have to be paid for with donations?

That's stupid. Just pay for it with your own money, over time (ie, a loan, bonds, whatever). We badly needed it. Done.

It doesn't have to be paid for with donations. But if you can get someone else to help you pay for it, why wouldn't you do it? It sounds like the U has found other people to pay 75% of the cost. That doesn't sound stupid to me at all.

It doesn't have to be paid for with donations. But if you can get someone else to help you pay for it, why wouldn't you do it? It sounds like the U has found other people to pay 75% of the cost. That doesn't sound stupid to me at all.

The Vikings got a half-billion corporate welfare donation from the State. The Mayo Clinic dangled moving new expansion elsewhere. The State also gave them a half-billion keep the expansion in Rochester. The Gophers is the skinny little runt at the feeding through. :pig: :pig:?

But if you can get someone else to help you pay for it, why wouldn't you do it?
If they could get someone else to pay for it, this thread wouldn't exist, would it?

That's kinda the point. I was clearly talking about the remaining part.

I've used up my freebie's with the Press. Are you able to do a copy and paste? Perhaps not much there.
Delete the history and cookies on your browser. Then you can read 5 more. Then delete the history and cookies on your browser. Then you can read 5 more. Then remember the PP isn't worth the little effort it takes to keep reading.....

Are we to believe that a village has 1/4th of its total debt after being open just a few years and this is a bad thing? I mean, compared to how my mortgage is being paid off, that is a very accelerated pace of payment. I think by all means we are ahead in fund raising as compared to our payoff requirements. Of course, I am naive in finance. What the hell do I know about the cost of this remaining amount to the amount of equity in the project.

Are we to believe that a village has 1/4th of its total debt after being open just a few years and this is a bad thing? I mean, compared to how my mortgage is being paid off, that is a very accelerated pace of payment. I think by all means we are ahead in fund raising as compared to our payoff requirements. Of course, I am naive in finance. What the hell do I know about the cost of this remaining amount to the amount of equity in the project.

No it should all just be paid off like magic I guess.

Delete the history and cookies on your browser. Then you can read 5 more. Then delete the history and cookies on your browser. Then you can read 5 more. Then remember the PP isn't worth the little effort it takes to keep reading.....
I grew up reading the PP. It's so sad what a shell of itself it is now. I honestly can't believe they're still in business. And their website is the most horrid, pop-up filled mess...

Incognito Mode. Simple simple.

I grew up reading the PP. It's so sad what a shell of itself it is now. I honestly can't believe they're still in business. And their website is the most horrid, pop-up filled mess...

Sadly it is tough to make money in news these days and the websites often suffer having every bit of money making venture stuffed into them.

The latest at U.S. Bank Stadium. So far tax payers not on the hook for this but you never know.

U.S. Bank Stadium faces $21M in leak repairs to black panels
59 MINUTES AGO Minneapolis Paper
The black zinc panels that form the exterior of U.S. Bank Stadium leak more than previously revealed and must all be replaced at a cost of $21 million over the next two years. The costs will be split among the building's general contractor, Golden Valley-based M.A. Mortenson Co., and seven others.

The latest at U.S. Bank Stadium. So far tax payers not on the hook for this but you never know.

The black zinc panels that form the exterior of U.S. Bank Stadium leak more than previously revealed and must all be replaced at a cost of $21 million over the next two years. The costs will be split among the building's general contractor, Golden Valley-based M.A. Mortenson Co., and seven others.

That's the advantage of a building like TCF that is supposed to get wet!

Unfortunately, mold and sick/unhealthy buildings and public facility issues are probably a lot more common than we think.

IIRC, I heard from somewhere that there was a brand new high rise office tower in downtown Saint Paul that made people sick. It was eventually abandoned and torn down. Did anybody know or remember reading/hearing about this?

People involved in the planning, designing, building, and the authorization of the building of these facilities should all be held accountable. However, there are too many pontius pilates around. They'll find someone to shift the blame onto.

There must have been lots of lessons learned from all previous stadium construction. IMHO, questions about these problems should have been brought up in the design and construction reviews.
Architects want it pretty. And they design it pretty. That usually means the constructability is questionable. Ask any tradesman. As built conditions are, many times, quite different than as designed.

Water infiltration is a common problem is commercial buildings. Lots and lots of questioning of designers and contractors is necessary, as is a third party oversight in many cases. Completed a project a few years ago with an oversight that was expensive, and worth every penny.

Should have bought the extended warranty.

Architects want it pretty. And they design it pretty. That usually means the constructability is questionable. Ask any tradesman. As built conditions are, many times, quite different than as designed.

Water infiltration is a common problem is commercial buildings. Lots and lots of questioning of designers and contractors is necessary, as is a third party oversight in many cases. Completed a project a few years ago with an oversight that was expensive, and worth every penny.
Expensive and worth every penny with many problems? Holy crap, no wonder we have problems with buildings. Not in my book. Please, please, don't bid on public building projects. We don't want any more buildings that need to be dealing with water problems.

Expensive and worth every penny with many problems? Holy crap, no wonder we have problems with buildings. Not in my book. Please, please, don't bid on public building projects. We don't want any more buildings that need to be dealing with water problems.
Right, but lets tear down the Barn! :p

A great part of the onus is on the general contractor who should pay attention to every minute detail. All materials should be tightly controlled and qualified and tested by a lab for outgassing properties for instance. The wrong kind of noxious adhesive that a contractor may decide to substitute without knowledge of the general contractor can make people really sick. The general contractor must literally babysit each step of the construction so that the right material(s) and construction process(es) are installed or applied and done correctly.

So, it is not necessarily a design flaw alone that we have to worry about. A project of this magnitude should have more than one design review by outside independent experts. There should be quite a lot of lessons learned data around. Someone in the know should be involved. Yet, we hear the same mistakes in large public buildings repeatedly. When there is a flaw, it is in the millions of dollars to fix.

Last edited:

Has Coyle thought about putting the position rooms up on Airbnb?

No we haven’t had any water infiltration. That was my point.

This is why the U of M removed the coils right?

Top Bottom