Shooter: A little birdie says U still owes $44 million for its $166 million Athletes Village.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter's Little Birdie:

A little birdie says the University of Minnesota still owes $44 million for its $166 million Athletes Village.

Go Gophers!!

I've used up my freebie's with the Press. Are you able to do a copy and paste? Perhaps not much there.

I've used up my freebie's with the Press. Are you able to do a copy and paste? Perhaps not much there.
Literally no more than bleed posted on that topic. Old News. MC is not a fundraiser.

On this topic, this is all that the Little Birdie told Shooter. Nothing else there.

Go Gophers!!

Worst part is that their are issues with US Bank Stadium on the outside of it that haven't been fix since they opened. Thanks Bleed and Spoofin.
What are the issues?

It's weird how sports writers drop these bits of information like they are super secret information..... pretty sure it is available if they asked or just acted like a reporter...

Mold issue. Water is draining between the outside panels and the surface of the stadium. Also panels are still falling off.
Interesting. I don’t follow the Vikings very closely and had never heard of this. Reading more about it now. Thanks.

how much money do the Vikings I mean Minnesota tax payers still owe on the dump stadium down town Minneapolis

I actually heard this past week that electronic pull tabs, now that most places have adopted them, have taken off and are raking in cash. Something like at this pace....the stadium will be paid off around ten years early.

I actually heard this past week that electronic pull tabs, now that most places have adopted them, have taken off and are raking in cash. Something like at this pace....the stadium will be paid off around ten years early.
I saw that too. They are even fighting over the extra money.

I just sent a note to my State Senator to divert some pull tab money to pay off the remaining debt. Now, if all of you do the same, the timing would work out well for next session.

How about diverting some of this to a new or improved Williams Arena? It’s nearing 100 years old- you’d think the State could kick in a nice amount.

Interesting. I don’t follow the Vikings very closely and had never heard of this. Reading more about it now. Thanks.
What was more disturbing was that someone said that the tax payers would pay to fix this problem. He was immediately flooded with e-mails etc., and now says that either the builder or the designer should be responsible. This was about three weeks ago or so. We'll see what happens.

I do not understand why some debt on the Athlete Village would be much of a problem with the kind of cash flow the AD gets from TV alone. I assume it will be paid down in the same orderly manner as has been done with TCF. Never ideal to have debts, but manageable given good cash flow.

I do not understand why some debt on the Athlete Village would be much of a problem with the kind of cash flow the AD gets from TV alone. I assume it will be paid down in the same orderly manner as has been done with TCF. Never ideal to have debts, but manageable given good cash flow.
While I agree this isn’t a point of concern financially for the AD I’m not sure why you would assume it will be paid down in an orderly fashion? I believe this number has been about the same for a few years now. I see little to no progress on raising more cash for the AV or in paying that debt down.

While I agree this isn’t a point of concern financially for the AD I’m not sure why you would assume it will be paid down in an orderly fashion? I believe this number has been about the same for a few years now. I see little to no progress on raising more cash for the AV or in paying that debt down.
Have you thought about donating?

It's new?

What was more disturbing was that someone said that the tax payers would pay to fix this problem. He was immediately flooded with e-mails etc., and now says that either the builder or the designer should be responsible. This was about three weeks ago or so. We'll see what happens.

Unfortunately, mold and sick/unhealthy buildings and public facility issues are probably a lot more common than we think.

IIRC, I heard from somewhere that there was a brand new high rise office tower in downtown Saint Paul that made people sick. It was eventually abandoned and torn down. Did anybody know or remember reading/hearing about this?

People involved in the planning, designing, building, and the authorization of the building of these facilities should all be held accountable. However, there are too many pontius pilates around. They'll find someone to shift the blame onto.

There must have been lots of lessons learned from all previous stadium construction. IMHO, questions about these problems should have been brought up in the design and construction reviews.

Last edited:

Have you thought about donating?
Sharp as a tack that is for sure. I have donated to the U many times since I graduated from there. How about you? I’ve also donated to GH. Think, if you did the same for each screen name you have had to create - GH would be set for life.

Unfortunately, mold and sick/unhealthy buildings and public facility issues are probably a lot more common than we think.

IIRC, I heard from somewhere that there was a brand new high rise office tower in downtown Saint Paul that made people sick. It was eventually abandoned and torn down. Did anybody know or remember reading/hearing about this?

People involved in the planning, designing, building, and the authorization of the building of these facilities should all be held accountable. However, there are too many pontius pilates around. They'll find someone to shift the blame onto.

There must have been lots of lessons learned from all previous stadium construction. IMHO, questions about these problems should have been brought up in the design and construction reviews.
Mold is all-natural and organic. How bad could it be? Also is gluten free!

Sharp as a tack that is for sure. I have donated to the U many times since I graduated from there. How about you? I’ve also donated to GH. Think, if you did the same for each screen name you have had to create - GH would be set for life.
I most certainly have a few times. Also let’s please stay on topic of the thread and refrain from any personal attacks.

I most certainly have a few times. Also let’s please stay on topic of the thread and refrain from any personal attacks.
Mods - Honestly, what is taking so long to ban this wacko for the 17th time?

You forgot to provide your links to the evidence the BOG isn't aware of the current status of the debt on Athlete's Village, and their unhappiness with Mark Coyle's fund raising abilities and the way he is managing the AV debt.

Gophers AD Mark Coyle receives raise, extension as other schools come calling

University of Minnesota Athletics Director Mark Coyle received a raise and a two-year contract extension from the school’s Board of Regents on Friday. This agreement comes as other schools recently have looked into prying Coyle away from Minnesota, a source told the Pioneer Press.

This extension, which is effective this week and runs through June 2026, includes a $125,000 raise to $975,000 per year and 2.5 percent increases each July through the end of the deal, according to Coyle’s contract obtained by the Pioneer Press. Coyle also can receive incentives up to $225,000 each year and a longevity bonus of $150,000 in June 30, 2024.

Under Coyle, the Gophers have had top-to-bottom success, which prompted other schools to check into his availability. In the 2018-19 school year, Minnesota was the only program from a Power Five conference to have a winning record in each team sport.

“Gopher athletics has excelled under Director Coyle’s leadership, not only winning in competition but, more importantly, setting records in the classroom and investing countless hours in community service,” University President Joan Gabel said in a statement. “The visibility of those successes have positively reflected the ideals of the University, one of the most important contributions any athletics department can make.
“What Director Coyle and his team have accomplished gives me great confidence that his department will continue to deliver exceptional results.”

Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck is Coyle’s highest-profile hire and also his biggest success story. Fleck’s team improved from 5-7 in his first season in 2017 to 11-2 in 2019, including two wins over top-10 teams, against Penn State during the regular season and Auburn in the Outback Bowl.

“The credit goes to the players, definitely goes to our team, those are the guys that have to go do it,” Fleck told the Pioneer Press. “I think what most people are forgetting is the job that Mark Coyle has done. Mark Coyle deserves what I’ve gotten (in a contract extension). It’s years and being able to say, ‘Job well done.’ ”

https://www.twincities.com/2020/02/14/gophers-ad-mark-coyle-receives-raise-extension-as-other-schools-sought-to-pry-him-away/

Last edited:

Top Bottom