shock joc - negativity sells

"You cannot speak ill of Weber or Brewster without a great deal of backlash" is essentially what he said, and that is absolutely, and unquestionably, true on this board.

You seem to be using obscure definitions of the words "absolutely", "unquestionably" and "true" that I was previously unaware of.

You seem to be using obscure definitions of the words "absolutely", "unquestionably" and "true" that I was previously unaware of.

Go ahead and name me the last time someone badmouthed either without someone pushing back in some way.

Let me know when you find one.

I thought expressing a counter opinion, or 'pushing back' in your mind, was allowed. No?

Go ahead and name me the last time someone badmouthed either without someone pushing back in some way.

"Pushing back" is equated to ".. being dragged through the town and publicly stoned.?

There appears to be a "matter of degree" absent in those two descriptions.

So, people "pushing back" is somehow the equivalent of being (metaphorically, of course) "dragged through the town and publicly stoned"? People are allowed to disagree, you know. People push back at least as hard when someone says something positive about Brewster and Weber.

"Pushing back" is equated to ".. being dragged through the town and publicly stoned.?

There appears to be a "matter of degree" absent in those two descriptions.

Let me clarify a bit.

The summary of the response was to point out that this probably isn't the best forum for someone like Doogie to try and get people to think outside of the box. It is usually a one-sided audience that is slanted heavily toward Gopher euphoria. That's fine. I'm a Gopher fan, yet I don't like all the players and coaches involved with the program. I don't need to post anything negative here because I know what the majority of the responses will be. Most of the posters on this board don't tolerate anything negative regarding the program. Even if it is true.

The phrase "dragged through the town and publicly stoned" is an effort at sarcasm, which is also something that I learned doesn't go over well on this board.

Here's an example of a typical positive post on GH and the responses.

Goldenboy ---"Brew is really gettin it done here. I can't wait for all these recruits to pan out and we make that trip to Pasadena."

I'm Spiderman-- +1 , I second that. See you in So Cal. Go Get em Brew, Get that Hormel Chilli Hot.

Gopherpride-- +2, If we get Henderson Warm up the bus. I'll bring my Blake Hoffarber Scrap book. By the way, did you hear Spence on the broadcast last night? The guy is really good, a flat-out riot.

Here's an example of a post that displays frustration with the program and the responses:

GoldenRod--"If Weber is our QB next season I'm going to sell my Iowa seats. At least I'll bank top $$$"

Ski U Mah guy--- sigh...Another clueless fan that doesn't understand how football should be played. We don't need ya. just make sure not to sell your seats to a Hawkeye chump.

Bronko Laturdski---Guys don't pay any attention to this dweeb. He's probably another Becky or Hawkeye Troll looking for attention. Hey Rod, let me know where you sit so I can come over and thump you in the back of the skull.

The point is that this board for the most part doesn't tolerate the negative or sarcastic poster, so anyone (like Doogie) who is trying get people to discuss anything that might be considered controversial will probably get throddled and taken out to the woodshed.

Go Gophers (Oh yeah, and the real reason I come to these boards, What's up with recruiting, Fisch...etc? Can't we get the pep band to play the whole game and drop the Metallica from the Jumbotron)

I thought expressing a counter opinion, or 'pushing back' in your mind, was allowed. No?
People are allowed to disagree, you know. People push back at least as hard when someone says something positive about Brewster and Weber.

Please note that I never placed a value statement on this type of thing happening. Of course dissension is allowed. But, again, I never said that. You tried to say that people are allowed to speak negatively without recourse. I merely said that this is absolutely not true. That's all. Nothing more.

Please note that I never placed a value statement on this type of thing happening. Of course dissension is allowed. But, again, I never said that. You tried to say that people are allowed to speak negatively without recourse. I merely said that this is absolutely not true. That's all. Nothing more.

I said no such thing. I said that negative posters are not "dragged through the town and publicly stoned", and even allowing for the gross hyperbole, it's not remotely true that those who post negative comments about Brewster or Weber are somehow persecuted. Those who post positive things about Brewster or Weber get at least as much blowback as those who post negative things.

I said no such thing.

Hmm...

Whatever. The fact is that you lambasted someone for saying something that is unequivocally true, and when called out on it, refused to admit that you are wrong. It's obvious that I might as well be talking to a brick wall here, so I'm just dropping it and pretending this thread didn't happen.

Whatever. The fact is that you lambasted someone for saying something that is unequivocally true, and when called out on it, refused to admit that you are wrong. It's obvious that I might as well be talking to a brick wall here, so I'm just dropping it and pretending this thread didn't happen.

Lambast:
1. to beat or whip severely.
2. to reprimand or berate harshly; censure; excoriate.

No matter how much hyperbole you use, by no honest measure did I do anything that could even remotely be called lambasting. Why would I admit I'm wrong when I don't agree that I am wrong? I don't agree that the treatment of people who post negative things about Brewster or Weber is by any stretch of the imagination comparable to being "dragged through the town and publicly stoned", no matter how much hyperbole is used.

You all complain about the negative media but many of you help with its proliferation. Look at all the attention Reusse Jr. got with his negative slant on Brewster. You think he is not out there saying to his buddies " Look at how many hits and comments I got." He is out to make a buck ...a career and has figured out the best way to do it is to always find a negative slant on things. You can't blame him if it works. To use an over used quote "It is what it is."

Why do you think Glenn Beck is suddenly popular? Why do you think Senator Franken was popular during the last administration?

Top Bottom