Shane MacGowan, leader of The Pogues, dies at 65

Nokomis

Nothing To Say
Reaction score
Shane MacGowan of The Pogues died today at 65. I feel drunk just looking at pictures of him. I know what I'll be listening to tonight.

Damn. Big Pogues fan.

there was a documentary about MacGowan that came out a few years ago. I'm going to have to track that down and watch it. titled "Crock of Gold - a few rounds with Shane MacGowan."

time to cue up "Fairytale of New York," with the classic opening line - "It was Christmas Eve babe, in the Dunk tank...."

(and for gawd's sake - do not listen to the remake done by the Kelce brothers for some charity album - I listened to about one minute of it on X and I wanted to shove an ice pick through my ears.....)

I got into the Pogues through watching the Wire so I'll always be partial to Body of an American.

I'm sure every bastard at his funeral will get piskey.

Damn. Big Pogues fan.

there was a documentary about MacGowan that came out a few years ago. I'm going to have to track that down and watch it. titled "Crock of Gold - a few rounds with Shane MacGowan."

time to cue up "Fairytale of New York," with the classic opening line - "It was Christmas Eve babe, in the Dunk tank...."

(and for gawd's sake - do not listen to the remake done by the Kelce brothers for some charity album - I listened to about one minute of it on X and I wanted to shove an ice pick through my ears.....)
One of me favorite lines is "I could've been someone." "Well, so could anyone". The self-wallowing, calling out the BS, the ebb & flow of a relationship -- just a masterful song. Certainly one of my favorites.

One more time for the departed Shane, Phil, Daryl and Kirsty.

Love how more people keep joining on the chancel, like one guy just pulls a flute out of his jacket pocket, and people start dancing in the church.

Top Bottom