Shama: U AD Announcement Coming This Week?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Sources said yesterday the University of Minnesota is close to announcing the name of its new athletic director.

That announcement may come Thursday or Friday when the University Board of Regents gathers for previously scheduled meetings on the Minneapolis campus. If the new hire isn’t made known at the regents’ meeting, then the announcement could be made next week.

Sources, speaking on condition of anonymity, said final candidates for the AD position are being interviewed on campus this week. Interviews are being conducted by a five-member group that is a subcommittee of the 16-person committee announced in late March by University President Eric Kaler.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

per Joe:

The University of Minnesota’s search for a new athletic director appears to be down to four semifinalists — interim AD Beth Goetz, Northern Illinois AD Sean Frazier, Penn State deputy AD Phil Esten and one undisclosed candidate — according to people familiar with the search.

University President Eric Kaler and four members of the 16-member search committee have been conducting interviews with candidates in the Twin Cities this week.

Two sources familiar with the search believe Kaler could have his preferred candidate picked within a few days, with an official hiring made by May 23, or perhaps even sooner.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-ad-search-narrowed-to-final-four-sources-say/378844131/

Go Gophers!!

per Joe: The University of Minnesota’s search for a new athletic director appears to be down to four semifinalists — interim AD Beth Goetz, Northern Illinois AD Sean Frazier, Penn State deputy AD Phil Esten and one undisclosed candidate — according to people familiar with the search. University President Eric Kaler and four members of the 16-member search committee have been conducting interviews with candidates in the Twin Cities this week. Two sources familiar with the search believe Kaler could have his preferred candidate picked within a few days, with an official hiring made by May 23, or perhaps even sooner. http://www.startribune.com/gophers-ad-search-narrowed-to-final-four-sources-say/378844131/ Go Gophers!!

Gene Taylor is the 4th, if you believe the papers.

Esten seems to have the support of the business community. IMO he's the best option left. I have reservations about Taylor and Frazier, and I'd be beside myself if they chose Goetz over all these other options.

Gene Taylor is the 4th, if you believe the papers.

According to Joe, Taylor is not:

Several candidates who were vetted by Turnkey in the initial phases of the search have yet to be contacted for formal job interviews, according to people familiar with their situations. That list includes former Gophers football standouts Pete Najarian and Bob Stein, Iowa deputy AD Gene Taylor, Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson, WCHA commissioner Bill Robertson and U.S. Bank senior vice president David Gutzke

I'd say there's at least a 50% chance it's Goetz.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/05/1...ur-for-ad-job-this-week-including-a-new-name/

David Sayler possibly the mystery candidate:

The fourth candidate could be Miami (Ohio) AD David Sayler, a person with knowledge told the Pioneer Press.

A finalist from that group, a source said, could be chosen as the new AD as early as next week, and an announcement could come in two weeks.

The new name, Sayler, has been running Miami’s athletic department since 2012. He received an extension through the 2018-19 season after less than a year on the job. The 46-year-old Connecticut native developed an $80 million master facilities plan for the RedHawks. They’ve raised $53 million since last April. Sayler was South Dakota’s AD for two years. During that time, he secured a $20 million gift to the Coyotes, the largest in program history. He helped the football team gain membership to the Missouri Valley Conference

Please God, not Goetz.

Please God, not Goetz.

I know a lot of folks have lost faith in Kaler, but I think he does understand that the status quo just isn't gonna' cut it right now. And through no fault of her own, Goetz will always be lumped with Megatongue because he hired her. Ditto for Pitino & Stollings, that won't help them if they struggle/continue to struggle under a new regime.

Will be very surprised if it's not Frazier or Esten. My preference is Esten. If it ends up being Goetz, well, what do I know!

http://www.twincities.com/2016/05/1...ur-for-ad-job-this-week-including-a-new-name/

David Sayler possibly the mystery candidate:

The fourth candidate could be Miami (Ohio) AD David Sayler, a person with knowledge told the Pioneer Press.

A finalist from that group, a source said, could be chosen as the new AD as early as next week, and an announcement could come in two weeks.

The new name, Sayler, has been running Miami’s athletic department since 2012. He received an extension through the 2018-19 season after less than a year on the job. The 46-year-old Connecticut native developed an $80 million master facilities plan for the RedHawks. They’ve raised $53 million since last April. Sayler was South Dakota’s AD for two years. During that time, he secured a $20 million gift to the Coyotes, the largest in program history. He helped the football team gain membership to the Missouri Valley Conference

Hell yeah. I can get on board with Slayer for AD #Reign in Blood.

I know a lot of folks have lost faith in Kaler, but I think he does understand that the status quo just isn't gonna' cut it right now. And through no fault of her own, Goetz will always be lumped with Megatongue because he hired her. Ditto for Pitino & Stollings, that won't help them if they struggle/continue to struggle under a new regime.

Will be very surprised if it's not Frazier or Esten. My preference is Esten. If it ends up being Goetz, well, what do I know!

Not sure I agree with the bold SS. Shaka Smart was also hired by Teague.

This job really requires a 'big hitter' type. I don't Goetz is in that position yet....but she is very valuable.

I would hope the new AD(assuming it is not Goetz) would create a position for her.....top asst/#2 type.

This job really requires a 'big hitter' type. I don't Goetz is in that position yet....but she is very valuable.

I would hope the new AD(assuming it is not Goetz) would create a position for her.....top asst/#2 type.

I like Goetz. She's been a good soldier throughout this whole mess. Would have no problem if a new AD wanted her to stick around. Just don't think she'll get the full-time gig because of Norwoody.

Goetz isn't going to stay, unless they over pay, she'll want a new start and can get a number 2 gig somewhere else. Would you want to work for the person replacing you? I'd tell them to pound sand

Given today's focus on auditing, please note that rumored fourth AD candidate, David Sayler, holds an accounting degree and worked for Ernst & Young before beginning his AD journey.

Top Bottom