Shama: Tubby's Program Stumbling Along; Smith Impresses with Personality, Kindness

BleedGopher

Reaction score
David Shama's recent column, all on Tubby:

http://www.shamasportsheadliners.com/

Tubby Smith’s Program Stumbling Along

If it wasn’t official earlier this season, then it is now: the Tubby Smith honeymoon period is over. The Golden Gophers basketball coach has lost his halo in year three of his program.

In an embarrassing effort on Sunday, the Gophers were defeated by Ohio State 85-63. The 22 point loss was the largest of the season, the result more of a poor defensive showing than anything else. It was a performance not characteristic of Smith’s Minnesota teams who have often been defined by effort and effective defense.

The Gophers, who have lost five games by five points or less, are a disappointing 4-5 in the Big Ten and 13-8 overall. Five Big Ten teams have three losses or fewer in league play, while four schools have overall records with at least three more wins than Minnesota.

The Gophers’ dream of an NCAA tournament invitation is about as unlikely as a 50 degree temp in Minneapolis on Valentine’s Day. Instead of NCAA, get ready to say N-I-T.

The initials for National Invitational Tournament are only slightly more popular with Gophers fans than IRS. Minnesota played in the NIT two years ago, Smith’s first season here. During the last 10 years the Gophers have sent two teams to the NCAA tournament and five to the NIT.

A season that had the promise of being the school’s best in at least a decade has gone south. The Gophers, who had been to the NCAA tournament in 2009, returned all their significant players including a potential all-Big Ten point guard in Al Nolen. Added to the mix last off-season were two power forwards, junior college transfer Trevor Mbakwe and freshman Royce White, players who were to provide badly needed muscle and size to the talent pool.

Nolen, though, became academically ineligible last month. Mbakwe and White have yet to play in games because of suspensions.

Earlier this week White announced he’s leaving school, ending speculation that he might play for the Gophers during February. A change regarding Mbakwe’s playing status depends on resolution of a legal matter in Florida.

Recruiting Lacks Star Power So Far

Smith’s recruiting hasn’t been impressive. If White and Mbakwe were playing and performing at a level resembling their preseason hype, the recruiting assessment would be different. The reality is that after two recruiting classes the staff has yet to put a star player on the floor.

That might change and not only because of Mbakwe who reportedly has been impressive in practices. Sophomore Ralph Sampson III has the potential to become one of college basketball’s better centers. Freshman forward Rodney Williams, a wonderful athlete who can put fear into any entrant in a slam dunk contest, is a possible NBA first round draft choice some day.

But for now the Gophers’ talent and blend of basketball tangibles and intangibles doesn’t equate to the better rosters in the Big Ten conference. That’s on the Minnesota staff and so, too, is effort which although usually admirable was not only unsatisfactory against Ohio state but helped sink the Gophers in a road game against Indiana they should have won.

Because of timing, home state recruiting has been less productive than it could have been. Had Smith arrived at Minnesota a few years prior to when he did, the Gophers might be playing with a much more talented roster. Cornell senior Ryan Wittman (Eden Prairie), Kansas junior Cole Aldrich (Bloomington), Wisconsin junior Jon Leuer (Orono) and Wisconsin sophomore Jordan Taylor (Bloomington) are Minnesota natives playing major roles in helping their teams compete for championships. Smith arrived too late to be a factor in bringing some or all of them here.

Smith didn’t please some Gophers fans and probably University administrators when he allowed former coach Clem Haskins on the Williams Arena floor for a reunion celebration of the 1990 NCAA tournament team during halftime of a home game last month. Haskins cost the athletic department a lot of money, energy and image, along with a forfeited Big Ten championship, because of the infamous academic scandal.

University leaders are sensitive to past problems with the NCAA. In 2007 Smith interviewed former Gophers assistant Jimmy Williams regarding a job on the Minnesota staff. Gopher athletics director Joel Maturi didn’t want to hire Williams because Minnesota had NCAA rules violations when Williams was an assistant here many years ago. Williams, though, resigned his position as an assistant at Oklahoma State after being contacted by Smith and lawsuits against the University of Minnesota and Smith were later filed.

Smith Impresses with Personality, Kindness

Smith is a likeable guy, a gentleman. He makes an effort to show kindness to people and that personality has resonated with Minnesotans.

His arrival here was embraced by fans who knew of his national championship at Kentucky and habit of having the Wildcats in the NCAA tournament. He created a buzz but not a mania about Gophers basketball. The program is relevant again in this town with sellouts for Big Ten games, but not for the nonconference. Those games, with Smith’s approval, consist of opponents lacking box office appeal.

Smith’s annual compensation, with incentives, is in the $2 million range. That raises expectations about winning and filling up Williams Arena. He’s an upgrade over previous coach Dan Monson, an opinion everyone other than the Monson family and close friends will agree on. But can Smith raise the status of this program to near annual Big Ten title contender and create a warm place in the hearts of more local winter sports fans?

The next two seasons will likely provide the answer. Depending on how the personnel finalizes, the Gophers could be formidable next season, or still going in reverse. Let’s say Nolen becomes academically eligible, Mbakwe finally plays, and Williams and Sampson fulfill their potential.

If that happens, Smith gets his halo back. That is if he’s still here. The Tubby-to- another-school rumors won’t go away and the one with the most energy is Maryland. Coach Gary Williams, who won a national title in 2002, has only one season above .500 in the ACC during the last six years. Smith is a Maryland native with relatives and family back east.

If Smith leaves Minnesota but the Gophers talent mix emerges, then a new Minnesota coach might be wearing a halo.

Go Gophers!!

Bleed, I ask this in all seriousness (and I think he makes some valid observations), who is David Shama? What's his background? I've never heard of the guy.

I think his most valid concern is about next season. The Gophers could be greatly improved if Mbakwe, Nolen and Joseph (Joseph's not coming here but I'll include him for argument's sake) are here and eligible for the entire season, but if we only have one of those guys playing, we could be headed the wrong way in the Big 10 pecking order. The Big 10 has certain programs that just aren't going to go away. ... Illinois, Sparty, OSU, Purdue and Wisconsin, no matter what their personnel losses. And Indiana appears to be back on its way up.

If there's ever a time we could use a big-time recruit (that doesn't steal stuff, assault mall cops & then turn himself into the victim) to perk things up a bit, now would be the time. I hope Devoe is doing some serious chatting with his little brother.

What a hit-piece. Never heard of "Shamasports", but I think that site is nothing but a... wait for it ... SHAM!

But seriously, I checked it out, read some of his past articles, and that site sucks. I think he fancies himself an internet version of Charlie Walters or Sid, but in actuality, and I'm not sure how this is possible, he manages to be even more worthless than both of those! Seriously, Shama, if you're reading this, two thumbs down.

Actually, he has some pretty good credentials. He was a sports writer/columnist/editor for the Tribune at one time. I do know he's a University of Minnesota graduate who generally has been fair to the Gophers. I think he was a sports editor on the Daily when I was going to school but that's a bit blurry. Just because he's critical of Tubby doesn't mean that he's poor at what he's doing. He still has connections and is trying to be different than the clowns like Souhan and Ruesse in that he actually analyzes.

Actually, he has some pretty good credentials. He was a sports writer/columnist/editor for the Tribune at one time. I do know he's a University of Minnesota graduate who generally has been fair to the Gophers. I think he was a sports editor on the Daily when I was going to school but that's a bit blurry. Just because he's critical of Tubby doesn't mean that he's poor at what he's doing. He still has connections and is trying to be different than the clowns like Souhan and Ruesse in that he actually analyzes.

I agree that his work should not be evaluted based on what he says about Tubby but at this time of the season, we need a positive attitude. After the season is over, we can critically look at the team's perfomance as a whole. Pointing fingers will not solve anything but positive attitude will.

What a hit-piece. Never heard of "Shamasports", but I think that site is nothing but a... wait for it ... SHAM!

But seriously, I checked it out, read some of his past articles, and that site sucks. I think he fancies himself an internet version of Charlie Walters or Sid, but in actuality, and I'm not sure how this is possible, he manages to be even more worthless than both of those! Seriously, Shama, if you're reading this, two thumbs down.

What did you find to disagree with in this column?

In response to Mulligan, I totally agree that negativity does not equal hackery. However, I went through some of his other columns, and he's a hack. Perhaps he worked for the Tribune at one point, but so has Souhan, and he's a hack as well. It's truly unfortunate that we're a major media market without a single competent sports writer. (Reusse is not a bad writer stylistically, but he's become an old and bitter hack who just looks to vex the local sports populace.)

HM, I disagreed with a variety of statements. First, I disagree with his statement that an NCAA is now a practical impossibility. A competent writer would examine the schedule, and realize that the Gophers aren't nearly as out of it as the record appears. A competent writer would also realize that the Gophers only have one loss in Big Ten Conference play that they weren't expected to lose.

Second, he says Tubby's recruiting hasn't been good. I totally disagree. The struggles of Royce and Mbakwe have nothing to do with Tubby's recruiting. I don't blame Tubby for their problems, and neither should Shama. Further, Tubby recruits Ralph and Devoe both are showing promise. They are not stars right now, perhaps, but they're sophomores.

Third, I disagree with his argument that people soured on Tubby because of the Clem Haskins thing. Out of respect to Tubby, people gave Clem a positive reception, and there were almost no boos. I didn't hear people criticizing Tubby at the game or on this board. Another swing and a miss.

Fourth, there isn't a mania for Gophers hoops. But Shama fails to take into consideration that Tubby is two and a half years removed from one of the worst periods of Gophers hoops ever. The program is growing, and the fans are coming back. There have been a couple of games this year that at least approach the fever pitch of Williams in Clem's day. More will come, if the Gophers win, as I expect them to continue to do.

Finally, Shama's speculation about Tubby leaving is entirely baseless and frankly ridiculous.

So, all in all, I think it's a hack column by a hack writer. And it has nothing to do with criticizing Tubby. I myself have criticized his offensive sets, his occasional failures to adjust on defense, and some of his substitution patterns. But let's call this column what it is. EPIC FAIL.

He’s an upgrade over previous coach Dan Monson, an opinion everyone other than the Monson family and close friends will agree on.

I don't think even Monson's family and close friends would argue that Tubby isn't an upgrade.

I don't think even Monson's family and close friends would argue that Tubby isn't an upgrade.

Probably anyone but Monson's family would say that Tubby is an upgrade.

Try this fellow posters: Take a deep breath, close your eyes and imagine this year was happening before your very eyes and Monson were still coach. Now imagine the level of meltdown that would occur each day. Tubby is getting it easy. Tubby has earned that good treatment by his past record - but he's getting it easy.

Top Bottom