Shama: State icon Lindsay Whalen, whose Gophers open their season at home November 7 against Western Illinois, is coaching for job security.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Shama:

State icon Lindsay Whalen, whose Gophers open their season at home November 7 against Western Illinois, is coaching for job security. After four seasons as Minnesota’s head women’s coach her Big Ten record is 28-44 and she has a contract that only goes through the 2024-2025 season.

Go Gophers!!

Maybe. But, for instance, that's also how long Auriemma is signed for (albeit towards the end of a career not the start).

Isn’t the thought that most potential recruits want to know their coach is their the whole time they play at a school?
Yes. Coach Johnson on the men's side received a 1-year extension- likely for that reason.

Isn’t the thought that most potential recruits want to know their coach is their the whole time they play at a school?
I wish they’d stop that nonsense…life changes way more frequently, see Hugh MCCutcheon. I actually think the coaches push it more than the players so they have a golden parachute/monster buyout.

I wish they’d stop that nonsense…life changes way more frequently, see Hugh MCCutcheon. I actually think the coaches push it more than the players so they have a golden parachute/monster buyout.
I disagree. Would you start working for a company if you knew there was a good chance that it would go under in the next few years?

I know that this is a sloppy comparison but these student athletes build strong relationships over years of recruiting and more often than not pick their school based on that relationship. A player wants to have continuity through an important time in life.

There is no doubt that players shy away from coaches who are on the hot seat. Having a contract suggests that the coach might actually be there for their entire 4-5 year time in school. This means a lot to these students.

I think most of the time a one year extension is a paper tiger. And I can’t begin to count the number of coaches that have got an extension to term out there existing contract for the next 3, 4 or 5 years only to have been let go shortly into the next season. Its hard to fathom that recruits didn’t know Pitino, Frost, Brewster, Mason, Lucia, Monson, etc. were on the hot seat near their last year despite most having received an extension in the year before a change was made.

If she/ the program show some improvement then she will eventually be extended. But her past success, or lack of it, would cause most leaders to wait and see. It is alarming that she is missing out on some top instate talent. Recruiting was suppose to be her calling card: Linsey Whalen U of M All American, NBA All Star, Olympic Gold Medalist, and Basketball HOF. This is an important year to show a competitive spirit and play. I think 500 would be a move in that direction.

I disagree. Would you start working for a company if you knew there was a good chance that it would go under in the next few years?

I know that this is a sloppy comparison but these student athletes build strong relationships over years of recruiting and more often than not pick their school based on that relationship. A player wants to have continuity through an important time in life.

There is no doubt that players shy away from coaches who are on the hot seat. Having a contract suggests that the coach might actually be there for their entire 4-5 year time in school. This means a lot to these students.
I think this is a good analogy if you used "your boss" rather than "company".

I think this is a good analogy if you used "your boss" rather than "company".
I started down that path but don't think that most people have much alligience to their boss. They like the job and the pay more!

To use football as an example... I highly doubt many highly recruited out of state players would have chosen the U of M if Fleck wasn't the coach.

Look at all of the athletes who transferred out after Pitino was canned and Johnson was hired.

I think most of the time a one year extension is a paper tiger. And I can’t begin to count the number of coaches that have got an extension to term out there existing contract for the next 3, 4 or 5 years only to have been let go shortly into the next season. Its hard to fathom that recruits didn’t know Pitino, Frost, Brewster, Mason, Lucia, Monson, etc. were on the hot seat near their last year despite most having received an extension in the year before a change was made.
I hear you... It certainly doesn't guarantee that they're going to serve out that contract. Some of your examples expertly illustrate that!

You mean the same students that enter the transfer portal at a higher and higher percentage?

Top Bottom