Shama: Shocker! Cam Christie First-Rounder…to Timberwolves?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Shama:

When Golden Gophers freshman guard Cam Christie, who averaged 11.3 points per game last season, announced this spring he was exploring interest in being drafted by the NBA, Minnesota fans proclaimed this a too soon endeavor. The opinion from this keyboard was the smooth shooting 6-foot-5 Christie could be worthy of a second-round selection in the June 26 and 27 NBA Draft, and it was logical to declare his interest in turning pro.

Now the breaking news: Mock drafts this from FanSided and The Athletic have the NBA champion Celtics taking the 18-year-old on the 30th and last pick of the first round. Yahoo can top that, predicting he will be selected by the Timberwolves with their No. 27 spot in the first round.

“That wouldn’t surprise me,” a former Big Ten coach told Sports Headliners. “He’s a good offensive player.”

Go Gophers!!

I was thinking this. They're probably the ones who encouraged him to stay in the draft. They did that to Rickert too. The Timberwolves have always despised the Gophers.

He would have transferred anyway though. But still, the Wolves are useless. Taylor, McHale...useless.

It would surprise me. For a team that’s often been without first round picks, that finally has one again, and is (perhaps) one plug-in player away from the championship… it seems unlikely they would spend that pick on a multi-year project.

I was thinking this. They're probably the ones who encouraged him to stay in the draft. They did that to Rickert too. The Timberwolves have always despised the Gophers.

He would have transferred anyway though. But still, the Wolves are useless. Taylor, McHale...useless.
Glen Taylor and the Wolves have long been in cahoots with Gavin Newsome and Mark Coyle to bring down Gopher basketball. They've been so focused on it, they have been terrible most of the franchise's existence. But once Gopher basketball is dead, they will thrive.

Or: Rick Rickert was a late 2nd round lottery ticket/mercy pick for a local kid.

It would surprise me. For a team that’s often been without first round picks, that finally has one again, and is (perhaps) one plug-in player away from the championship… it seems unlikely they would spend that pick on a multi-year project.
Wendall Moore, who had a so-so 3 or 4 year career at Duke, was a late first round pick by the wolves…check his career stats. NOTHING. He can’t see the floor, ever. May as well draft a flier with a late 1st, extremely rare you get a plus and play guy who does anything.

Wendall Moore, who had a so-so 3 or 4 year career at Duke, was a late first round pick by the wolves…check his career stats. NOTHING. He can’t see the floor, ever. May as well draft a flier with a late 1st, extremely rare you get a plus and play guy who does anything.
Wolves are looking to trade him straight up for Pili.

I'm not a hard-core NBA fan. but I looked at a mock draft - and I have no idea who most of these people are. most analysts seem to think this is a weak draft and next year's class will be better.

so I would not be shocked if someone took a flyer on Christie in the 1st round - or at least early 2nd round.

as far as the Wolves - they just don't use their young players. Moore, Minott, Miller - sit on the bench or play G League. Luke Garza was a 2-time All American and NCAA player of the year as a senior, and he plays only in mop-up duty.

if the Wolves draft Christie, he will spend the entire year in the G League.

I like Christie and he fulfills a huge need with shooting but I don't think he is the right fit for us unless he is on a 2 year horizon

I would much prefer a playmaking guard that can penetrate and stretch the defense, it became way too apparent that we need a 4th penetrator outside of Ant, Naz and Mike

I like Christie and he fulfills a huge need with shooting but I don't think he is the right fit for us unless he is on a 2 year horizon

I would much prefer a playmaking guard that can penetrate and stretch the defense, it became way too apparent that we need a 4th penetrator outside of Ant, Naz and Mike
that is what they think they have in jaylen clark, who was a lottery projection prior to tearing his achilles.

i would be 0% surprised if they go shooting/3 and d who is switchable in pick and roll defense. you need those guys so you aren't putting ant on someone who wears him out (this is a huge reason jaylen brown was able to do that against luka at seasons end is that they got a cake walk to the finals plus the extra rest; it's tough to do that over multiple series in a row).

The Wolves need a knockdown corner shooter. If that’s not an option, a "center" who can catch a pass. I like our defense, but you can’t basically give up an offensive position. Makes your offense playing 4 on 5 too often.

Cam doesn't get drafted in Round 1. We'll see if anyone calls him in Round 2.

Cam doesn't get drafted in Round 1. We'll see if anyone calls him in Round 2.
UFA deal already in the works somewhere? The Christie’s are not dumb people. They had to have known what was going to happen.

Yeah....agreed.....the reason that Christie was going to transfer was/is McHale's fault. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thank goodness common sense prevailed and the TWolves took Shannon from the B1G instead of Christie. Yes, Christie was All-B1G Freshman team, but he was a second or third option on a weak team (yes, our team). His lack of NBA readiness has been extensively discussed (even by us, his fans.). Shannon was the All-B1G superstar that did most of the heavy lifting for a second place team and carried the Illini to the Elite 8. Watching Shannon in the tourney, he looked like an NBA player against other good teams. I hope he ends up a rotation contributor for the TWolves. I foresee a lot of G League minutes for Christie, but hope he grows into an NBA roster.

Top Bottom