Shama on Gilbert: "Close observers of the program wonder if he will transfer"

The post in the Big Ten will be much improve next year. Small ball will not be the best option and I have seen Fitz play at A & M and practice with us last year. If Bakary and Fitz get extended minutes for any reason our season will be in shambles. I think we need one more in case of injury or games where Curry/Lynch/Murphy are in foul trouble similar to our last game.
Shambles you say... [emoji41]

Small ball is always an option if done well. See Jay Wright and Villanova.

Big East teams don't play the same physical style as the Big Ten. I like the small ball idea but I don't think it work in the Big Ten.

Small ball is always an option if done well. See Jay Wright and Villanova.

That's really the beauty of small ball. You force the other team to react to your personnel instead of vice versa.

Of course it will be an option next season with the amount of talented guards and wings we will have at our disposal.

Big East teams don't play the same physical style as the Big Ten. I like the small ball idea but I don't think it work in the Big Ten.

It works well enough to win championships and beat purdue at purdue this year. I don't think you need more than a solid 6'9" center and someone who is strong at 6'7" or taller to play PF in order to defend. Look at what Michigan state did this year with only having 1 player above 6'7" and 3 starting freshmen.

Gotta correct this before a whole generation of kids start thinking that's a phrase.

You don't kick kids to the curve. You kick them to the curb.

On with the thread.

Well I know that LOL, but we're talking about modern day journalism here. You may resume masterbating your commander.

So if our man three bigs get in foul trouble or one gets injured who is the small ball guy you are suggesting. Miles Bridges is an undersize PF who also is a freak athlete with a solid frame. Villanova beat Purdue by 2 and small ball works well in the Tourney, but we still need another big for conference play. We will have enough guard and wing play to adjust our style for tourney play, but I think we need one more center just to make sure that we won't have to rely on Bakary in case Lynch, Murph, or Curry are injured. We can disagree but honestly both Wisconsin we would have been better off with one more capable big.

So if our man three bigs get in foul trouble or one gets injured who is the small ball guy you are suggesting. Miles Bridges is an undersize PF who also is a freak athlete with a solid frame. Villanova beat Purdue by 2 and small ball works well in the Tourney, but we still need another big for conference play. We will have enough guard and wing play to adjust our style for tourney play, but I think we need one more center just to make sure that we won't have to rely on Bakary in case Lynch, Murph, or Curry are injured. We can disagree but honestly both Wisconsin we would have been better off with one more capable big.

For next year? Curry at the 5 and Murphy at the 4 is smallish. Fitzgerald statistically is tall enough not sure about stength but is 30lbs bigger than Coffey and could fill in at the 4(might be a 4 anyway) beyond that you get a 6'6" shooter and if they are built like springs they can defend the center position in the BIG. See Kenny Goins.

So if our man three bigs get in foul trouble or one gets injured who is the small ball guy you are suggesting.

I'm curious how many teams in the conference you think have a great answer to the question... what happens if our 3 best big men get into foul trouble in the same game or 1 gets injured?

Spoiler alert - If Happ, Hayes + random 3rd big man get in foul trouble, Wisconsin is in trouble. If Happ gets hurt, they are in trouble. Same goes for Swanigan, Edwards and Haas,

That's really the beauty of small ball. You force the other team to react to your personnel instead of vice versa.

Of course it will be an option next season with the amount of talented guards and wings we will have at our disposal.
Small ball can seeiously challenge your rebounding and defense both strengths and reasons we are where we are.
JR's inability to integrate himself into the rotation has really caused us to have a short bench, which I hope doesn't come back to bite us in the BTT and NCAAs when games on short rest are the norm. If he doesn't have the ability to crack even the back part of the rotation then I hope he decides to transfer so we can get another player (a big, like SS says above) to stretch the rotation to a solid 10-11 players (joining Fitz and Jelly) next year.

Yea, agree to disagree. I'm totally fine with Bakary/Fitz being the 4th and 5th options for a bigs next season.

With our backcourt depth we should be experimenting with some smaller lineups next season anyways.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

For next year? Curry at the 5 and Murphy at the 4 is smallish. Fitzgerald statistically is tall enough not sure about stength but is 30lbs bigger than Coffey and could fill in at the 4(might be a 4 anyway) beyond that you get a 6'6" shooter and if they are built like springs they can defend the center position in the BIG. See Kenny Goins.

I watched 5 practices last year and I don't see Fitzgerald as a good option at the 4, plus he's returning from an ACL injury so that could make him even less effective. I like the idea of a combo post as a transfer or Juco guy but I just don't understand why we think we are good in the interior with just 3 post basically and Bakary here and there.

I'm curious how many teams in the conference you think have a great answer to the question... what happens if our 3 best big men get into foul trouble in the same game or 1 gets injured?

Spoiler alert - If Happ, Hayes + random 3rd big man get in foul trouble, Wisconsin is in trouble. If Happ gets hurt, they are in trouble. Same goes for Swanigan, Edwards and Haas,

That's their problem wouldn't you rather be prepared for that situation instead.

Gilbert has flirted with playing time this year. He strikes me as the perfect practice player that makes our main guys better. That's a very important role and if he's fulfilling that role, then I would love for Gilbert to stay.

Small ball can seeiously challenge your rebounding and defense both strengths and reasons we are where we are.
Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It can also increase opportunities to trap, create turnovers, facilitate switching on pick and rolls, etc. The benefits usually outweigh the negatives (again, assuming you have the proper amount of wing depth).

It can also increase opportunities to trap, create turnovers, facilitate switching on pick and rolls, etc. The benefits usually outweigh the negatives (again, assuming you have the proper amount of wing depth).

So who are the wings that can play PF. Amir, Fitz, and Hurt? Our shot blocking and rebounding have been the biggest difference from last year to this year and those guys will not provide either

So who are the wings that can play PF. Amir, Fitz, and Hurt? Our shot blocking and rebounding have been the biggest difference from last year to this year and those guys will not provide either

Dude, relax. If we have an opening, take the best player we can get. (and that is a big if in my mind) Then play to the style of your team's strengths. Also I would expect growth from Konate again. He improved a decent amount during last off-season.

Only real questions that matter are this
1. Who do you think is better? MHurt or Gilbert?
2. Who do you think is better? Harris or Gilbert?

If either are a tie then Gilbert loses (younger wins this equation). If Gilbert is fine with role than great, otherwise let's not worry.

Top Bottom