Shama: Next Gophers D-Coordinator Could Come from NFL

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Shama:

The candidates list could certainly include coaches from the Power Five, Group of Five, FCS and even the NFL where the Carolina Panthers are among the most dysfunctional franchises in the league, and a probable coaching staff shakeup after the season might have Tem Lukabu interested in the Gophers.

He joined the Panthers as outside linebackers coach this year after three seasons at Boston College as defensive coordinator. The 2022 BC defense ranked in the top-50 nationally in several categories.

Born in the Democratic Republic of the Congo in central Africa, Lukabu played linebacker at Colgate and his coaching stops include Rutgers where he was an assistant with Fleck more than 10 years ago. Fleck will want the right chemistry with whomever he hires, and having worked with someone in the past could provide a candidate with an edge in the selection process.

The Panthers inside linebackers coach, Peter Hansen, might be of interest, too. He was the defensive coordinator at UNLV prior to joining the Panthers this year. His resume includes two stints at Stanford where he was part of Pac-12 defenses among the most dominant in the league. Hansen has five years of NFL experience and has worked for coaching gurus Jim Harbaugh and Vic Fangio (serving both with the 49ers and Stanford).

Go Gophers!!

Per Shama:

The candidates list could certainly include coaches from the Power Five, Group of Five, FCS and even the NFL where the Carolina Panthers are among the most dysfunctional franchises in the league, and a probable coaching staff shakeup after the season might have Tem Lukabu interested in the Gophers.

He joined the Panthers as outside linebackers coach this year after three seasons at Boston College as defensive coordinator. The 2022 BC defense ranked in the top-50 nationally in several categories.

Born in the Democratic Republic of the Congo in central Africa, Lukabu played linebacker at Colgate and his coaching stops include Rutgers where he was an assistant with Fleck more than 10 years ago. Fleck will want the right chemistry with whomever he hires, and having worked with someone in the past could provide a candidate with an edge in the selection process.

The Panthers inside linebackers coach, Peter Hansen, might be of interest, too. He was the defensive coordinator at UNLV prior to joining the Panthers this year. His resume includes two stints at Stanford where he was part of Pac-12 defenses among the most dominant in the league. Hansen has five years of NFL experience and has worked for coaching gurus Jim Harbaugh and Vic Fangio (serving both with the 49ers and Stanford).

Go Gophers!!
No it has already been determined. PJ is just waiting for the “ i’s” to be dotted and the “t’s” crossed as to all the legal requirements for a State job. He will announce at the most opportune time.

Pretty much the next DC could come from anywhere FCS level or higher! Thank you Captain Obvious!
He gave the names of two candidates with connections to PJ that hadn't been mentioned before. He added the NFL source which other than Rallis hasn't been discussed much. I'd say it was interesting.

UpandUnder43:
New Gophers defensive coordinator could come from college or pro ranks. May be currently employed. Might not be. Possibly a big name, or an up and comer.

Couple names to watch include the Bears DB coach who fleck roomed with at a coaches camp and my buddy Dylan who has dominated Madden for 20 years

UpandUnder43:
New Gophers defensive coordinator could come from college or pro ranks. May be currently employed. Might not be. Possibly a big name, or an up and comer.

Couple names to watch include the Bears DB coach who fleck roomed with at a coaches camp and my buddy Dylan who has dominated Madden for 20 years
I want Dylan!!

I have insider info that says the next coordinator rise from a mysterious bog.

Or not.

He gave the names of two candidates with connections to PJ that hadn't been mentioned before. He added the NFL source which other than Rallis hasn't been discussed much. I'd say it was interesting.

I've seen Lukabu mentioned as a possibility before (can't remember where) because of his ties to PJ and his combination of college and pro experience. The other Panthers' coach - as far as I remember - hasn't been mentioned in any of the articles that I've read.

The first sentence is irrelevant in my opinion. Shama writes a piece about NFL coaches who could be candidates for Gopher DC and leads off with where the pool of possible hires will come from. Anyone interested in reading it already has a good idea where the next DC will come from. Just get to the point!

The first sentence is irrelevant in my opinion. Shama writes a piece about NFL coaches who could be candidates for Gopher DC and leads off with where the pool of possible hires will come from. Anyone interested in reading it already has a good idea where the next DC will come from. Just get to the point!
I'll add that it is a poorly written run on sentence.

Is it Braeden Carrington...I heard he is leaving the basketball team ;)

PJ is not letting any info leaking out so nobody has a scoop. Looks like he wants the DC to continue with the same set up and not go with a 3 man line.

Attacking aggressive physical are 3 traits I enjoy watching in a defense. A weak soft prevent defense is like a before swimsuit model; nobody wants to see that.

Or could come from hs level. The article author has as much clue as I do.

Where does it say anything about an NFL source? Tebaku, spelling, has been mentioned in multiple places prior to this.

Any chance Flores could coach the Vikings and Gophers on defense? Being in the same town would have its benefits - plus it could assist in scouting. Perhaps Bud Grant's son could fill in when there are conflicts. Plus, a little birdie told me that at one time PJ and Flores once ate at the same restaurant at the same time.

It's Shama. It's not like he has anything better to do with his time than play columnist.

Not a long resume / not a lot of time being DC and he was DC and then ... not for a while. Different kinda trajectory.
Yeah and you never know if the NFL guys will fit with college. I think you have to be more of a teacher for college.

Not a long resume / not a lot of time being DC and he was DC and then ... not for a while. Different kinda trajectory.
I can't imagine we'd be getting a lot of interest from guys that have a ton of DC experience. He was successful at BC, not sure why he left there. He does seem to bounce back and forth between college and the NFL a lot.

I can't imagine we'd be getting a lot of interest from guys that have a ton of DC experience. He was successful at BC, not sure why he left there. He does seem to bounce back and forth between college and the NFL a lot.
Was he successful at BC?? I’m just asking because I’m too lazy to do the leg work. I’ve never thought of BC as great at football this current century and the report was that his defenses there were “top 50.” Well, that tells me his defenses were 45-50ish which isn’t overly encouraging. Now, you might could possibly recruit better here than at BC, but the offenses you are going to face in the Big10 going forward are going to be better than what he schemed against in the ACC.

If I was PJ, I would try to find someone who has experience scheming against spread type offenses. Klanderman has some experience facing teams like Oklahoma, OSU, Texas and some other Big12 offenses, but I think if he was the guy, it would be done. But someone with that type of resume, even if from the group of 5 or FCS level, is what I’m hoping for.

Was he successful at BC?? I’m just asking because I’m too lazy to do the leg work. I’ve never thought of BC as great at football this current century and the report was that his defenses there were “top 50.” Well, that tells me his defenses were 45-50ish which isn’t overly encouraging. Now, you might could possibly recruit better here than at BC, but the offenses you are going to face in the Big10 going forward are going to be better than what he schemed against in the ACC.

If I was PJ, I would try to find someone who has experience scheming against spread type offenses. Klanderman has some experience facing teams like Oklahoma, OSU, Texas and some other Big12 offenses, but I think if he was the guy, it would be done. But someone with that type of resume, even if from the group of 5 or FCS level, is what I’m hoping for.
31st in defense scoring in 2021 with not a lot of talent. Not as good as I thought but not bad.

Valid point. I still felt that resume was ... mixed to thin, but who knows.

Top Bottom