Shama: New Gophers Football Facility Set for 2015

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Ground breaking and construction on the much talked about and coveted new Gophers football facility will begin next year, according to a donor who is providing $15 million.

Although the Athletic Department has yet to make an announcement, Janis Larson told Sports Headliners Gophers football coach Jerry Kill will get the facility he says is needed to make his program competitive with others in the Big Ten. The building will be named the David and Janis Larson Football Performance Center.

Janis is the widow of David Larson who passed away unexpectedly at age 70 last fall. Her husband was a University of Minnesota regent and loyal Gophers football fan. He raved about Kill’s work in turning around the football program and praised the coach’s high character. “He had my back,” an appreciative Kill said last fall.

The facility will be three stories high, Janis said, and with all its components—including much needed indoor practice space—will put the Gophers in a competitive recruiting situation with other Big Ten programs. The total cost for the building, according to another source, could be at least $25 million.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

ibklODbYk4W5Ap.gif

Now that's a nice belated Christmas present!

I'll believe it when I hear it from Sid.

per Shama:

Ground breaking and construction on the much talked about and coveted new Gophers football facility will begin next year, according to a donor who is providing $15 million.

Although the Athletic Department has yet to make an announcement, Janis Larson told Sports Headliners Gophers football coach Jerry Kill will get the facility he says is needed to make his program competitive with others in the Big Ten. The building will be named the David and Janis Larson Football Performance Center.

Janis is the widow of David Larson who passed away unexpectedly at age 70 last fall. Her husband was a University of Minnesota regent and loyal Gophers football fan. He raved about Kill’s work in turning around the football program and praised the coach’s high character. “He had my back,” an appreciative Kill said last fall.

The facility will be three stories high, Janis said, and with all its components—including much needed indoor practice space—will put the Gophers in a competitive recruiting situation with other Big Ten programs. The total cost for the building, according to another source, could be at least $25 million.

Go Gophers!!

Fantastic news. Thanks for sharing. Most importantly, a sincere thank you for your generosity and commitment to the U of M, Mr. David Larson & Mrs. Janis Larson. A heartfelt Ski-U-Mah to you and your family on this fine, fine gesture. Also, condolences again on the loss of your husband and former U of M Regent, David.

Go Gophers! Ski-U-Mah!

per Shama:

Go Gophers!!

Hmm, of the total 190 million dollar project the football facility was supposed to be in the 50/60 million dollar range.

There was talk of some cost cutting....

Elect them to office!

I can't believe it would be cut that much. The football facility was supposed to be the anchor of the whole project. If this is the case it will not be much of an upgrade. If it is nothing like what is in the nothing short of greatness presentation it will be a big disappointment. That amount has to be wrong because Lou Nanne said on the fan that there were more donors yet to be announced.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmm, of the total 190 million dollar project the football facility was supposed to be in the 50/60 million dollar range.

The football portion was two buildings. The Football Performance Center which has the new weight room, meeting rooms, locker room, class rooms,etc and then the other building is the Indoor Practice Facility.

I assume that the Indoor Practice Facility will have its own naming rights and primary donor. So maybe $25 mil for the performance center, $20 mil for the practice facility and then a bunch of equipment to fill both?

Shama's got a readership of what, six people? The guy is basically writing for himself to keep busy.

Top Bottom