Shama: Name Game Starts on Next U Coach (Fleck, Sumlin, Schiano, Harsin)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Who is the next Gophers football coach going to be?

Fans of the program will spit out the words P.J. Fleck in a heartbeat but other names are worth mentioning including a favorite here—Ohio State defensive coordinator Greg Schiano.

There is something to be said too about considering candidates who know the state of Minnesota and this region’s people and culture. Wyoming coach Craig Bohl fits that reference. Bohl was an assistant coach at Nebraska before he built North Dakota State into a powerhouse FCS program. Bohl already has established relationships with Minnesota high school coaches. His name might interest Coyle. or current NDSU head coach Chris Klieman who is a Waterloo, Iowa native like the Gophers AD.

Coyle’s favorites list could include Boise State head coach Bryan Harsin. When Coyle was the AD at Boise he hired Harsin to replace Chris Petersen who quit to take the Washington job. Harsin has a 31-9 record in three seasons but hasn’t impressed like Petersen.

Another name that perhaps will surface is Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin. The Aggies have found the transition from the Big 12 to the SEC challenging and perhaps Sumlin, whose wife is a Minnesota native, might find the thought appealing coming back to the U where he once was a Gophers assistant coach. Sumlin is one of the few African-Americans who have been given an opportunity to be a head coach at a Power Five Conference job.

When University of Minnesota president Eric Kaler hired Coyle last year he told a prominent Gophers football booster he had brought a “superstar” to Dinkytown. Well, after about seven months on the job no one else is ready to label Coyle that way but he sure has a golden opportunity while hiring the next Golden Gophers football coach.

Who to bet on in the coaching sweepstakes? Toss a few bucks on Fleck, but perhaps there could be a Sumlin homecoming.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Man every article just lists the same names with no insight.

We could replace a lot of these sportswriters with computer scripts...

per Shama:

Who is the next Gophers football coach going to be?

Fans of the program will spit out the words P.J. Fleck in a heartbeat but other names are worth mentioning including a favorite here—Ohio State defensive coordinator Greg Schiano.

There is something to be said too about considering candidates who know the state of Minnesota and this region’s people and culture. Wyoming coach Craig Bohl fits that reference. Bohl was an assistant coach at Nebraska before he built North Dakota State into a powerhouse FCS program. Bohl already has established relationships with Minnesota high school coaches. His name might interest Coyle. or current NDSU head coach Chris Klieman who is a Waterloo, Iowa native like the Gophers AD.

Coyle’s favorites list could include Boise State head coach Bryan Harsin. When Coyle was the AD at Boise he hired Harsin to replace Chris Petersen who quit to take the Washington job. Harsin has a 31-9 record in three seasons but hasn’t impressed like Petersen.

Another name that perhaps will surface is Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin. The Aggies have found the transition from the Big 12 to the SEC challenging and perhaps Sumlin, whose wife is a Minnesota native, might find the thought appealing coming back to the U where he once was a Gophers assistant coach. Sumlin is one of the few African-Americans who have been given an opportunity to be a head coach at a Power Five Conference job.

When University of Minnesota president Eric Kaler hired Coyle last year he told a prominent Gophers football booster he had brought a “superstar” to Dinkytown. Well, after about seven months on the job no one else is ready to label Coyle that way but he sure has a golden opportunity while hiring the next Golden Gophers football coach.

Who to bet on in the coaching sweepstakes? Toss a few bucks on Fleck, but perhaps there could be a Sumlin homecoming.

Go Gophers!!

What I want to know is if Goldenshower's wife is ready for this coaching search...

What I want to know is if Goldenshower's wife is ready for this coaching search...

I wish I understood this comment. Sounds interesting.

I'd take Schiano or Sumlin over the rest.

If Coyle can pull Sumlin off, he would turn this current fiasco into a win. I won't hold my breath.

I've been patiently waiting for this post, Rouser...this is a very sticky situation indeed. :)

If Coyle can pull Sumlin off, he would turn this current fiasco into a win. I won't hold my breath.

Old article, but if still the case, it would put him in play financially.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/12/16/kevin-sumlin-contract-texas-am/4045073/

"The six-year, $30 million contract that football coach Kevin Sumlin signed last week with Texas A&M contains buyout provisions that would result in Sumlin being paid all of the money remaining on his contract if he is fired without cause at any point during the deal.

However, it requires him to pay only a $5 million buyout if he terminates the deal without cause before the Aggies' last game of the 2016 season, including any bowl game."

It comes down to a coach with head coaching experience. The path with Fleck is similar to the Jerry Kill hire. A coach who has experience beating Big 10 competition. Bohl who signed an extension is again a coach with wins against Big 10 Schools. The group with Big time experience starts with Les Miles who has won at OSU Oklahoma State, and couldn't beat Alabama at LSU. Greg Schinao and Al Golden are kind of the same. Schiano is at TOUS and is a defensive coach. Kevin Sumlin has the same pedigree as Les Miles. SEC. Keep in mind recruiting.

Most important question I did not hear at the Press Conference was will this be Coyle's choice or will the Comittee or Hiring Group rear it head yet again.

I give Coyle 10 working days, if it goes longer then he is in over his head.

Old article, but if still the case, it would put him in play financially.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/12/16/kevin-sumlin-contract-texas-am/4045073/

"The six-year, $30 million contract that football coach Kevin Sumlin signed last week with Texas A&M contains buyout provisions that would result in Sumlin being paid all of the money remaining on his contract if he is fired without cause at any point during the deal.

However, it requires him to pay only a $5 million buyout if he terminates the deal without cause before the Aggies' last game of the 2016 season, including any bowl game."

Probably would come down to how long Sumlin thinks his leash is at A&M then. If he thinks he's one bad season from being fired, he might consider a MN offer.

It comes down to a coach with head coaching experience. The path with Fleck is similar to the Jerry Kill hire. A coach who has experience beating Big 10 competition. Bohl who signed an extension is again a coach with wins against Big 10 Schools. The group with Big time experience starts with Les Miles who has won at OSU Oklahoma State, and couldn't beat Alabama at LSU. Greg Schinao and Al Golden are kind of the same. Schiano is at TOUS and is a defensive coach. Kevin Sumlin has the same pedigree as Les Miles. SEC. Keep in mind recruiting.

Most important question I did not hear at the Press Conference was will this be Coyle's choice or will the Comittee or Hiring Group rear it head yet again.

I give Coyle 10 working days, if it goes longer then he is in over his head.

Sumlin would be as close to a homerun as Coyle could get. He's had one losing season as HC and a huge recruiting connection into TX talent.

If he is not pursuing him hard, Coyle is a complete joke. Best thing Coyle could do for himself is back up the brinks truck and get Sumlin.

per Shama:

Go Gophers!!
Totally changing the subject, but this is why I hate the SEC.
Texas A&M is 17-15 in their four years in the SEC and had a Heisman Trophy Winner
Texas A&M was 15-18 in their last four years in the Big 12. One would say, they found the SEC much easier.

If he could manage to bring in Sumlin.....that would be a major win. Sumlin would possibly be able to bring some recruits with.

However.....I'm not holding my breath.

Probably would come down to how long Sumlin thinks his leash is at A&M then. If he thinks he's one bad season from being fired, he might consider a MN offer.

I think it's been reported that his seat is hot at A&M after losses to LSU and KSU to end season.

Sumlin is making $5 mil/year at A&M. Coyle would need to pony up to even get Sumlin to give Minnesota any thought. Minnesota has never been near $5 million for a football coach.

Are we really talking about Sumlin as if that's possible?

It sounds like he's in a similar spot to Tubby at Kentucky. One more bad season away from getting the axe. That's what makes it possible. However, if his contract is truly fully guaranteed, he probably wants to stay and get fired rather then bailing early.

Sumlin is making $5 mil/year at A&M. Coyle would need to pony up to even get Sumlin to give Minnesota any thought. Minnesota has never been near $5 million for a football coach.

If we hire Fleck we'll probably end up paying him $3 million. Is an extra $2m a deal breaker at this point?

Pretty much why I said he needs to back up the brinks truck. If what he said in the presser has an ounce of truth to it (especially the win championships thing), he better be in TX right now, with the truck. He'd have the fans, former players, and alum back on board and guarantee ticket sales would jump immediately.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sumlin ain't coming here sorry guys - he might be on the hotseat in Aggieland but he's making bookoo money in College Station.

Sumlin ain't coming here sorry guys - he might be on the hotseat in Aggieland but he's making bookoo money in College Station.

Maybe his wife really, really misses -20? :cool:

Sumlin to this search is probably what Chris Peterson was to the last one. But what fun would it be without it?

Doesn't mean he shouldn't be at the top of the list. Absolute homerun for boosters with deep pockets. Way, way less pressure here. Come in as a star HC. Brand new facilities coming online, which his hiring would help with donations flowing in again...Coyle would be an absolute idiot (alrady just an idiot) not to do everything possible to get him here.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

What the f*ck is Dean Johnson doing being interviewed about this? He's turning into Arne Carlson.

Doesn't mean he shouldn't be at the top of the list. Absolute homerun for boosters with deep pockets. Way, way less pressure here. Come in as a star HC. Brand new facilities coming online, which his hiring would help with donations flowing in again...Coyle would be an absolute idiot (alrady just an idiot) not to do everything possible to get him here.

Think about his career arc - getting fired at A&M gets him another OC job at a top tier P5 school at a minimum (more likely he gets another HC crack right away in the ACC/SEC footprint) . Leaving A&M because of a fear of getting canned, which is how it looks nationally regardless of what we think, is almost more damning for elite jobs because it labels you as someone afraid of expectations.

Think about his career arc - getting fired at A&M gets him another OC job at a top tier P5 school at a minimum (more likely he gets another HC crack right away in the ACC/SEC footprint) . Leaving A&M because of a fear of getting canned, which is how it looks nationally regardless of what we think, is almost more damning for elite jobs because it labels you as someone afraid of expectations.

If he comes here and succeeds, he can also get one of those jobs if he is inclined. Tubby nearly went to UVa (and probably had other offers) in his time here. Plus he can play off the family angle pretty easily.

https://www.seccountry.com/texas-am/report-texas-am-chip-kelly-sumlin

Part of the Sumlin leaving A&M story is that he would leave for the NFL:

The offensive guru has not ruled out returning to college football after the San Francisco 49ers fired him this week. And 247Sports’ Travis Haney reports Texas A&M could be a possible landing spot if things play out the right way.

Haney noted the discontent in College Station after Kevin Sumlin’s third straight 8-win season. If the NFL comes calling again, Sumlin could finally decide to take that opportunity. At that point, Kelly could walk into a program with lots of financial support and a ton of talent on the roster.

“It could provide a nice parachute for both sides in College Station—and it would open the door for Kelly to take over a capable program with fantastic resources and a fertile recruiting base,” Haney wrote

Top Bottom