Shama: Kill Fast Making Friends, Admirers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Kill Fast Making Friends, Admirers

Kill said at his news conference today that each player will have to “earn” playing time and there are no starters going into spring practice including quarterback MarQueis Gray. “We will not give away playing time,” Kill said.

He acknowledged concern about academic performances of players, but didn’t specify the number of players who might be struggling, or identify anyone in particular. He wants to learn which players can handle the challenges of school work and playing football this spring so that he knows who to count on in the fall.

Former Gophers and others are impressed with Kill and the reputation he earned turning out winning teams at other schools. He has a record of 127-73 in 17 seasons as a head coach.

Bob Stein, a Gophers All-American defensive end in 1967, describes Kill as a “real football coach” and “real good guy.” Kill has earned admirers for his work on and off the field.

“Everyone who has seen him, likes him,” Stein said. “Everyone hears back the same reports from people throughout football. He’s very respected as a person and as a coach.”

There’s no doubting the effort put in by Kill and his staff since coming to campus. Some coaches are in the office before dawn, and everyone reports by 7 a.m. Dan O’Brien, the director of football operations under both Brewster and Kill, said the new staff drinks more coffee than the old, with an emphasis on 20 ounce containers, not 12.

New staff hire Mike Sherels, the former Gophers linebacker, has been organizing gatherings with Kill and former players. Kill will also spend time with high school coaches at the Minnesota Football Coaches Association’s clinic during the weekend of March 31-April 2.

http://www.shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Everything is always rosy in the offseason, eh? While I am cautiously optimistic, I am having a harder and harder time with maintaining the cautious part of the optimism. As someone noted on another string, Kill has done a good job of actually providing substance about how he will instill the so-called Minnesota Way.

If Brew had even mentioned the phrase Minnesota Way he would have been constantly ridiculed by our rivals and the local media ( ala the reaction to Brew's "Gopher Nation" comments).

Here, the media seems to actually respect Kill and what he is doing at this point.

Here I go again sounding like a giddy homer! Stop it! Don't raise your expectations too high! Anyone else as neurotic as I am about the future of the team?

I think that's a good point Tubtastic, there really isn't a difference between Gopher Nation and The Minnesota Way.

However, Kill hasn't sold his program like a get rich quick scheme like Brewster did. It's kind of like a 3 strikes and your out policy in terms of media ridicule.

No. I'm not giddy at all. I think the team will be much better (very good in fact) in three years. I think next year Kill will use his "gimme" year to set expectations for recruits, parents and coaches. He will be tossing out a lot of marginal students and marginal players that don't give it their all all of the time. I expect the players on the roster will play much better than last year's team, but it will be a very thin squad.

Here, the media seems to actually respect Kill and what he is doing at this point.

I also think the media respects Kill more than Brewster because Kill has proven he can coach. I am actually impressed with his overall record considering he took over some pretty crappy teams. If the media starts ripping on Kill now, they may lose whatever credibility they have left if and when Kill turns the program around. Plus, Kill is more of a "salt of the earth" kind of guy who does not rub people the wrong way like Brewster could.

I also think the media respects Kill more than Brewster because Kill has proven he can coach. I am actually impressed with his overall record considering he took over some pretty crappy teams. If the media starts ripping on Kill now, they may lose whatever credibility they have left if and when Kill turns the program around. Plus, Kill is more of a "salt of the earth" kind of guy who does not rub people the wrong way like Brewster could.

No doubt about it that Kill comes in looking more stable than Brew at the outset. The only real criticism so far has been that he wasn't a so-called Tubby Smith type hire per se.

My post focuses more on how the substance of what Kill is doing and how he explains his process has thus far kept Kill above the petty scrutiny that Brew recieved. There is no doubt that Brew, Mason, Wacker, etc, would have been constantly ripped for even mentioning the "Minnesota Way" concept.

No. I'm not giddy at all. I think the team will be much better (very good in fact) in three years. I think next year Kill will use his "gimme" year to set expectations for recruits, parents and coaches. He will be tossing out a lot of marginal students and marginal players that don't give it their all all of the time. I expect the players on the roster will play much better than last year's team, but it will be a very thin squad.

Agreed. It might not be pretty this year, or even next year. All I want to see is measurable progress from year to year (more wins, fewer players lost to attrition, better shape etc.).

Top Bottom