Shama: Jerry Kill on recruiting in-state players: “we’re doing the best we can”

Ah saying that Minnesota produces less basketball recruits than Nevada and the same as New Hampshire means you don't really follow basketball recruiting. PREP SCHOOLS!!!!! I would venture to guess that in New Hampshire 90% of those recruits come from prep schools. Nevada has Findlay Prep which sends out 8-10 D1 players every year and isn't even a school.(See Recent News from NCAA and also that is where Vaughn is) It also has other prep schools.

You nailed it. It has nothing to do with population, it's about sport priority, facilities, and WEATHER. You can now play hockey Minnesota year-round. You can't play football or baseball. Even basketball here is not as big as in other states, partly because of hockey.

There aren't that many D-1 players coming out of Minnesota in either sport compared to states of similar size. Minnesota is in the low 40's for football recruits, but is the 21st most populous state. Far, far smaller states produce many more D-1 players: Alabama, Louisiana, Oklahoma, well, you name it. The only states with less recruits are Connecticut, Nebraska, Idaho, New Mexico, and Delaware.

In basketball, Minnesota is middle of the pack, with the same number of D-1 recruits since 1998 as NEW HAMPSHIRE and less than Nevada. Chew on that.

I watch MN HS football every week and see teams from mostly 4A and up to 6A. MN produces 3 and 2 star kids. IMO the elite athletes are special and anyone can see it. I don't see many special players in MN. Nelson is one and was bigger and faster than his entire OL. There is too many kids specializing in one sport too early here. It hinders their athleticism and it shows in the lack of top end recruits.

Outside of Jones this year, the rest are way down the list. I agree with others that Kill is an excellent evaluator for his system.

Saw Ragnow last week and he does no stand out on the field. Stelter is more impressive from what I've seen.

I thought Kill has been doing a pretty good job at getting some of the kids that are fairly well regarded recruiting wise and getting some of the not to highly recruited kids to walk-on. I think the walk-on aspect is underrated.

List them.
The 12-15 Kill should offer a full scholarship. Which would be our entire class this year, but for arguments sake.

Jones
Ragnow
Stelter
Hassenhauer

Behr?
Hovey?
Woods?
Johnson III?
Menard?
Weber?
Gordon?
Ejiya?
Who are they missing out on?

Maybe Raymonte Maynard. He's been killing it for Chanhassen.

I won't agree that MN football is offering as much opportunity for youths as the south. It isn't even close.

I graduated from a MN high school and have since lived in the FL and volunteered for two youth leagues while I was down there. Didn't live in big communities (30k or so) but they had 300 kids from 10-12 playing in this league split between 4 b teams and 4 A travelling teams. It was insane. The coordinator of the program was the local high school coach and the team coaches were military guys getting their merit badges for community service (not really called that, but basically what it is) and all the high school players were Asst coaches and such.

They played a game every Sat all summer and practiced 4 times per week for 2 hours.

They had a similar program for 12-14 year olds.

The high school and junior highs had spring practice and spring games, camps all summer long in addition to captains practice and fall camp. Plus they could have their conditioning & weight training coach in direct contact all summer long.

We don't have this in MN...not on this scale. And this is one rural community with 30,000 residents. We have this kind of opportunity for hockey and basketball, but not football. That is why we have so many more D-1 hockey and basketball players coming out of this state even though more kids play football than those two sports combined.

I have lived in Texas now for nearly 10 years, in a city of slightly over 100,000 (about the same size as Duluth, where I grew up). I continue to be stunned by how massively popular football is here. To note:

*My son played on a youth football team for several years. There are two youth FB leagues here in town, each with 6-8 teams. The team on which my son played had 3 divisions (7-8 year olds, 9-10 year olds, 11-12 year olds), each with 40-50 kids. So, that was 120-150 kids just on our one team, and there were 11-15 other teams in town! Coaching was excellent. Many ex-college players who now have kids. They practiced 2 hrs. per day, 5 days a week, from mid-August until early December, when they played their "Super Bowl." After that, he played on a travel team, which brought the best players from the town together for another month of practice and travel. Gave the top 25 or so players in the town more opportunity to practice and play. Games regularly drew 100-200 fans.

*He is now in middle school. His 7th grade team has 3 levels (A, B, & C), each with 30-40 boys. The town has 5 middle schools, each I'd guess has about the same level of participation. Each team plays a full schedule of 9 games. Average attendance in the stands I'd guess is around 200-300, even for the C & B team games! These are also paying fans ($2-$5 entrance fee, depending on the stadium)!

*One of our local HS teams won the Texas 5AAAAA championship a few years ago. (We have two 5AAAAA teams and one 3AAA team in town.) This team has a system whereby they have their HS coaches scouting the middle school kids. Middle school coaches feed the HS coaches info, mostly on "skill" position players. HS coaches regularly make circuitous contact with these kids, letting them know expectations ("Here's what it will take for you to play at the next level") and without technically requiring it, setting up a system and culture where kids know the type of work they will have to do to advance and play in HS.

The HS coach makes it clear that these are not suggestions, but "what it will take" to play in his system in HS. For the QBs, the MS coaches in town each send up two names in 7th grade, whom the HS head coach contacts and give a "QB manual", which includes a detailed training regimen, a scaled down playbook (they are to memorize this), and the HS practices and summer 7-on-7 tournaments that this budding young QB is expected to "observe" in person, thus soaking up the HS FB culture. By the time a young QB is a freshman, he has already "participated" in two years of the culture of this HS football program. I'm not lauding this but simply describing it to illustrate how insanely serious this whole thing is.

*As GopherinPhilly noted, our program too has off-season captain practices (completely scripted by the coaches), summer camps, summer 7-on-7, and a summer weight/conditioning program which is twice a day during the entire summer!

*This Friday is our big rivalry game. We will have just under 20,000 ('cause that's all the stadium can seat!) for the game. On TV each Friday night, we have several extended 1 hr. HS football shows with interviews, scores, etc.

I grew up in a pretty serious hockey culture but it didn't rival what I've seen here with football. Each year our small town will produce on average 2-3 D-I players (this year, one player committed to Texas, one to BYU, one to Texas Tech), and a hand full of DII and DIII players. It comes down to a fanatical fan base, a very supportive culture, and a system that is intense and integrated, starting with 7 year old youth football. Really is amazing.

I have lived in Texas now for nearly 10 years, in a city of slightly over 100,000 (about the same size as Duluth, where I grew up). I continue to be stunned by how massively popular football is here. To note:

*My son played on a youth football team for several years. There are two youth FB leagues here in town, each with 6-8 teams. The team on which my son played had 3 divisions (7-8 year olds, 9-10 year olds, 11-12 year olds), each with 40-50 kids. So, that was 120-150 kids just on our one team, and there were 11-15 other teams in town! Coaching was excellent. Many ex-college players who now have kids. They practiced 2 hrs. per day, 5 days a week, from mid-August until early December, when they played their "Super Bowl." After that, he played on a travel team, which brought the best players from the town together for another month of practice and travel. Gave the top 25 or so players in the town more opportunity to practice and play. Games regularly drew 100-200 fans.

*He is now in middle school. His 7th grade team has 3 levels (A, B, & C), each with 30-40 boys. The town has 5 middle schools, each I'd guess has about the same level of participation. Each team plays a full schedule of 9 games. Average attendance in the stands I'd guess is around 200-300, even for the C & B team games! These are also paying fans ($2-$5 entrance fee, depending on the stadium)!

*One of our local HS teams won the Texas 5AAAAA championship a few years ago. (We have two 5AAAAA teams and one 3AAA team in town.) This team has a system whereby they have their HS coaches scouting the middle school kids. Middle school coaches feed the HS coaches info, mostly on "skill" position players. HS coaches regularly make circuitous contact with these kids, letting them know expectations ("Here's what it will take for you to play at the next level") and without technically requiring it, setting up a system and culture where kids know the type of work they will have to do to advance and play in HS.

The HS coach makes it clear that these are not suggestions, but "what it will take" to play in his system in HS. For the QBs, the MS coaches in town each send up two names in 7th grade, whom the HS head coach contacts and give a "QB manual", which includes a detailed training regimen, a scaled down playbook (they are to memorize this), and the HS practices and summer 7-on-7 tournaments that this budding young QB is expected to "observe" in person, thus soaking up the HS FB culture. By the time a young QB is a freshman, he has already "participated" in two years of the culture of this HS football program. I'm not lauding this but simply describing it to illustrate how insanely serious this whole thing is.

*As GopherinPhilly noted, our program too has off-season captain practices (completely scripted by the coaches), summer camps, summer 7-on-7, and a summer weight/conditioning program which is twice a day during the entire summer!

*This Friday is our big rivalry game. We will have just under 20,000 ('cause that's all the stadium can seat!) for the game. On TV each Friday night, we have several extended 1 hr. HS football shows with interviews, scores, etc.

I grew up in a pretty serious hockey culture but it didn't rival what I've seen here with football. Each year our small town will produce on average 2-3 D-I players (this year, one player committed to Texas, one to BYU, one to Texas Tech), and a hand full of DII and DIII players. It comes down to a fanatical fan base, a very supportive culture, and a system that is intense and integrated, starting with 7 year old youth football. Really is amazing.

Minneapolis itself should produce around 6-12 D1 players every year. This is why the Gophers don't compete.

Once again, this is an urban legend. Brewster recruited the MN players who were worthy of receiving Big Ten offers. People can't bitch about the quality of recruiting out of one side of their mouth and then bitch about MN HS players needing to receive more offers out the other side. Offering and signing more MN HS players who have only I-AA offers would, by definition, worsen the recruiting.

Not true. I remember Wisconsin kicking our ass with Minnesota players on their roster while Brew was here. I also remember kids going to Iowa instead of the U in that era as well.

Not true. I remember Wisconsin kicking our ass with Minnesota players on their roster while Brew was here. I also remember kids going to Iowa instead of the U in that era as well.

What? That has absolutely nothing to do with the topic of this conversation. What you attempted to state, falsely, is that Brewster wasn't interested in recruiting Minnesota. That has already been proven false, as illustrated by GophersInIowa. Now that that has been proven wrong, you are moving on to a different topic altogether - losing players to out-of-state schools. The two are in no way related. Each of the 4 players Brewster lost to Wisconsin (Kelly, Schafer, Allen, and Dehn) had a Gopher offer. Therefore, all of them were recruited by the Gophers. You are wrong.

(P.S. Brewster never lost a single in-state player to Iowa. Just the latest thing you're wrong about.)

I think people are overlooking what a creepy metaphor Thompson used.

1) I bet your wife is really happy to hear that

2) Let's never compare recruiting to sex again, thanks.

I'd also just like to add that outside of the 2010 season when Brewster was fired (an 18 point loss), Wisconsin never kicked our ass while Brewster was here, they were all one-score, come from behind victories for the Badgers.

List them.
The 12-15 Kill should offer a full scholarship. Which would be our entire class this year, but for arguments sake.

Jones
Ragnow
Stelter
Hassenhauer

Behr?
Hovey?
Woods?
Johnson III? (You're kidding right!!???)
Menard?
Weber?
Gordon? (NOPE)
Ejiya?
Who are they missing out on?

There are some quality kids, but the 2 at CDH listed above are overhyped. IMHO

Okay Dr.Don - I will bite. You have pointed out in the past an error I made in the tense of the verb but I am not sure if that is what you are pointing to here. It could be that you are just saying that I deserved to be berated on general principles or you could be berating me for something more specific. Whatever it is, I want you to know that I have been berated by better men than you. As Groucho Marx once said "I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member." :rolleyes:

Maybe he is just a master berater

There are some quality kids, but the 2 at CDH listed above are overhyped. IMHO

The CDH kids are usually over-hyped, but it's hard not to when they DO produce high-end talent year after year. I don't think they're B1G caliber, however.

It's still very early in the season. Looking at the numbers some of these local players have been putting up into week 5 is impressive and hopefully Kill has been taking notice.

What? That has absolutely nothing to do with the topic of this conversation. What you attempted to state, falsely, is that Brewster wasn't interested in recruiting Minnesota. That has already been proven false, as illustrated by GophersInIowa. Now that that has been proven wrong, you are moving on to a different topic altogether - losing players to out-of-state schools. The two are in no way related. Each of the 4 players Brewster lost to Wisconsin (Kelly, Schafer, Allen, and Dehn) had a Gopher offer. Therefore, all of them were recruited by the Gophers. You are wrong.

(P.S. Brewster never lost a single in-state player to Iowa. Just the latest thing you're wrong about.)

Exactly, all 4 had a MN offer and we lost them. (Wasn't he brought in to recruit?)
Also, we lost Broderick Bins from CDH to Iowa in '08 I believe. That was under Brew.

Ps- Not trolling

Exactly, all 4 had a MN offer and we lost them. (Wasn't he brought in to recruit?)
Also, we lost Broderick Bins from CDH to Iowa in '08 I believe. That was under Brew.

Ps- Not trolling

We lost Laws. He was a high draft pick. We lost a Gilreath to Wisconsin. He had serious speed. We have lost a lot.

Top Bottom