Shama: James Johannesson, star of spring game, never played a minute this season

I'm surprised anyone thinks it's odd. Green was the new kid in town. The other guy(and by extension, his family)had been in the program for a long time. Not only did he probably have a better grasp of the intricacies of the offense, but it's not uncommon to have a kid starting over better athletes, because the coach is drinking buddies with said kids dad. To pretend favoritism in the good ol' boy system that is Texas football, isn't a big factor, is naive.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

It's really easy. . .

Sometimes Player A is a better player than Player B, but Player B is still the better prospect/recruit. This happens all of the time, in every sport. It's really not that complicated.

I've seen it argued that standout players at at a lower level may not succeed at a higher level (and this is correct). However, I'm not sure I've ever seen it argued that a player that was middling at a lower level was likely to be a star at the next level. That is....a legitimately new paradigm. I really hope you're not in charge of recruiting.

Green did.

Jonke was getting more run than Green early in the year and putting up good numbers too. It was a legitimate QB platoon.

Jonke started every single playoff game. Had the majority of the passing snaps, had the majority of the drives. In the the losing effort to end the season Jonke had 9 drives, Seth 4. Neither played lights out. In the prior game Jonke had 21 pass attempts, Green 0. Green barely played. In the game prior to that Jonke had 18 attempts, Green 3. Play by plays and box scores available below.

Allen's schedule:

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/allen-eagles-(allen,tx)/football-fall-15/schedule.htm

Here are the play by plays:

Vs Westlake (last game).
http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-school/football/playbyplay/2015/33450

Vs Denton Ryan
http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-school/football/playbyplay/2015/32972

Vs Arlington Martin
http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-school/football/playbyplay/2015/31177

I'm surprised anyone thinks it's odd. Green was the new kid in town. The other guy(and by extension, his family)had been in the program for a long time. Not only did he probably have a better grasp of the intricacies of the offense, but it's not uncommon to have a kid starting over better athletes, because the coach is drinking buddies with said kids dad. To pretend favoritism in the good ol' boy system that is Texas football, isn't a big factor, is naive.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

You honestly think a head coach, in the highest level of competition and under enormous pressure to win, is going to play an inferior player at the most important position on the team because he is friends with his dad? Fail to make it to the finals?

I tend to see a simpler explanation - the guys playing are better than the guys on the bench.

If the Gopher coaches truly felt playing JJ would give them a better chance to win, he'd be playing.

These two points aren't the same. I agree with the second one.

You honestly think a head coach, in the highest level of competition and under enormous pressure to win, is going to play an inferior player at the most important position on the team because he is friends with his dad? Fail to make it to the finals?

What you have failed to realize through your entire silly rant about some TX HS QB that you seem to have a crush on is that even if he was the better QB for Allen HS in no way means he would be the better QB for the MN Gophers. Or vice versa. No different than Heisman Trophy winning QBs in CFB going undrafted and backups or those from small schools making NFL teams. Different things are required at different levels.

I know, I'll get some lecture about how you realize that and blah, blah, blah, most likely in your typical arrogant method, but I don't think you do. Better stats in HS... BAM he is better. Green won't be good. What is his Rivals ranking? BAM. But wait, I found a stat to support it so it must be true. Blah blah. Blah blah. Blah blah. Just like 90% of your posts. You make me miss Wren on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta love CFB. We're breaking down HS FB drive charts as we argue about 2 backup QB's...oh, and within a 70 post thread about our 4th string RB.

There's something wrong with us.

Bottom line - do you trust the coaching staff?

We have people on this board who claim the coaching staff deliberately chose to keep better players on the bench, to the detriment of the team. Others seem to be suggesting that the coaching staff is unable to figure out who the better players are. And people question whether this staff is able to provide the coaching and technique needed to help players improve.

Since it appears that Claeys and his staff will be returning - and likely getting an extension of yet-to-be-determined length, we'd all better hope that this staff knows what it's doing.

I have reservations about Claeys as the 'face' of the program. I hope he knows what he's doing. I have reservations about the offensive coordinator. I hope he knows what he's doing.

As Wren would say, the true measurement of a team - and by extension, the coaching staff - will be Big Ten Wins. A year from now, we will all hopefully know a lot more about this team, and the coaching staff. And we will have had a full year with a new QB or QB's to digest and analyze.

To be continued.......

What you have failed to realize through your entire silly rant about some TX HS QB that you seem to have a crush on is that even if he was the better QB for Allen HS in no way means he would be the better QB for the MN Gophers. Or vice versa. No different than Heisman Trophy winning QBs in CFB going undrafted and backups or those from small schools making NFL teams. Different things are required at different levels.

I know, I'll get some lecture about how you realize that and blah, blah, blah, most likely in your typical arrogant method, but I don't think you do. Better stats in HS... BAM he is better. Green won't be good. What is his Rivals ranking? BAM. But wait, I found a stat to support it so it must be true. Blah blah. Blah blah. Blah blah. Just like 90% of your posts. You make me miss Wren on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you ever seen a Heisman winner that wasn't the starter on his team? The backups that were drafted sat behind other NFL prospects (eg at USC). Totally different scenario.

The obtuseness on display is astounding. I don't want to seem like I'm ripping on the kid, but you guys forced my hand. I hope he develops down the road but it is concerning he wasn't allowed to pass much by his HS coach, and was inserted in the 4th quarter of their losing effort after the starter went 4-20, an apparent desperation move (what we ought to have done at Wisky).

Bottom line - do you trust the coaching staff?

We have people on this board who claim the coaching staff deliberately chose to keep better players on the bench, to the detriment of the team. Others seem to be suggesting that the coaching staff is unable to figure out who the better players are. And people question whether this staff is able to provide the coaching and technique needed to help players improve.

Since it appears that Claeys and his staff will be returning - and likely getting an extension of yet-to-be-determined length, we'd all better hope that this staff knows what it's doing.

I have reservations about Claeys as the 'face' of the program. I hope he knows what he's doing. I have reservations about the offensive coordinator. I hope he knows what he's doing.

As Wren would say, the true measurement of a team - and by extension, the coaching staff - will be Big Ten Wins. A year from now, we will all hopefully know a lot more about this team, and the coaching staff. And we will have had a full year with a new QB or QB's to digest and analyze.

To be continued.......

To answer your initial question...not totally. They do not have a strong track record.

It's too early to say about the new hires but Mitch regressed and the line, IMO, did not improve but they need time to develop some guys, and there were injuries. They were hamstrung by Mitch, bless his heart.

You know how I feel about Brian Anderson. I'm indifferent about Poore and the others. I'd advocate a culture change on that side of the ball. I'm not sensing that from Johnson but time will tell.

Jonke started every single playoff game. Had the majority of the passing snaps, had the majority of the drives. In the the losing effort to end the season Jonke had 9 drives, Seth 4. Neither played lights out. In the prior game Jonke had 21 pass attempts, Green 0. Green barely played. In the game prior to that Jonke had 18 attempts, Green 3. Play by plays and box scores available below.

Allen's schedule:

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/allen-eagles-(allen,tx)/football-fall-15/schedule.htm

Here are the play by plays:

Vs Westlake (last game).
http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-school/football/playbyplay/2015/33450

Vs Denton Ryan
http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-school/football/playbyplay/2015/32972

Vs Arlington Martin
http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-school/football/playbyplay/2015/31177

You're wrong again.

Seth Green and Jonke put up similar season stats. Yawn.

Everyone, except you, refers to them as having a dual QB system.
http://www.statesman.com/news/local...ould-know-about-allen/8JQNHw42fuFr0aiDvX72dL/

And Seth Green and Jonke split the first four series of the championship game.

You're all sorts of wrong.

I've seen it argued that standout players at at a lower level may not succeed at a higher level (and this is correct). However, I'm not sure I've ever seen it argued that a player that was middling at a lower level was likely to be a star at the next level. That is....a legitimately new paradigm. I really hope you're not in charge of recruiting.

Again, you absolute bleeping idiot, I NEVER SAID THAT. NEVER. I never said that you shouldn't be skeptical of Green for "middling" at Allen HS. It's a fair skepticism. You were completely hyperbolic about your description of how much he middled, so we all corrected that. However, the initial point, Green's time at Allen HS should raise some eyebrows about his possible success at the U, I agree with. I've said it numerous times now. Please try to get that through your head.

You're unable to grasp the concept and it's shocking.

All I am saying is that a player (especially a HS player) might be a better player than someone who will eventually be a better prospect than him.

Have you never watched an NFL draft or followed any recruiting?

You hear it all of the time (players being more "projects" than other players).

You'll hear things like "Player A is more ready than Player B, but PLayer B has more upside". That's EXACTLY what I was saying. Now if you want to argue, attack that narrative, don't make up some idiotic argument in your head.

Jonke might have been a better player than Green in 2015, but Green has more upside (when weighing the difference between current ability and potential, Green was the obvious better recruit).

You're wrong again.

Seth Green and Jonke put up similar season stats. Yawn.

Everyone, except you, refers to them as having a dual QB system.
http://www.statesman.com/news/local...ould-know-about-allen/8JQNHw42fuFr0aiDvX72dL/

And Seth Green and Jonke split the first four series of the championship game.

You're all sorts of wrong.

Bob, I've lost all respect for you. Just admit you are wrong.

Jonke started every playoff game. Played the majority of the games. Green wasn't allowed to pass much. Your position is completely indefensible.

It's all right there on your computer. Anybody else want to check the links?

Again, you absolute bleeping idiot, I NEVER SAID THAT. NEVER. I never said that you shouldn't be skeptical of Green for "middling" at Allen HS. It's a fair skepticism. You were completely hyperbolic about your description of how much he middled, so we all corrected that. However, the initial point, Green's time at Allen HS should raise some eyebrows about his possible success at the U, I agree with. I've said it numerous times now. Please try to get that through your head.

You're unable to grasp the concept and it's shocking.

All I am saying is that a player (especially a HS player) might be a better player than someone who will eventually be a better prospect than him.

Have you never watched an NFL draft or followed any recruiting?

You hear it all of the time (players being more "projects" than other players).

You'll hear things like "Player A is more ready than Player B, but PLayer B has more upside". That's EXACTLY what I was saying. Now if you want to argue, attack that narrative, don't make up some idiotic argument in your head.

Jonke might have been a better player than Green in 2015, but Green has more upside (when weighing the difference between current ability and potential, Green was the obvious better recruit).

Now, now.

Have you ever seen a project that wasn't a starter? I've seen raw players, new to the position drafted on physical ability. I've never seen a high school 3 year starter lose his starting job as a senior and retain power 5 recruit status. If you can find one for me please do so.

You continue to believe Green was the starter despite black and white evidence provided to you. Do you also feel he flipped to MN because of his love for the school, or because Oregon backed off?

I'll wait.

6 pages. For a reserve player who never saw a snap. Or kick. Only on GH.

Top Bottom